PDA

View Full Version : Remington Roller 219 Donaldson Wasp

TCLouis
03-29-2013, 04:31 PM
Sitting here eating lunch and I hear the "Big Brown Truck" coming up the drive.

Wait the tracking slip said it was not sent out due to missing HazMat label.

The driver gets off with this big ol White box

What the heck . . .

Oh as I tear into it I forget how big of a container it takes to hold 8 lbs of PROMO, durn two HazMat fees for one order then..

Tear box open and find two more boxes, open them, grab 6 357 cases and 3 358156s and 3 160 GB boolits.

Ok, so I cheated and sent these downrange from a revolver with little or NO accuracy.

I grab 5 219 DWs and plunk a 225415 in front of 5.3 PROMO.

1st shot out of the clean barrel barely catches the paper (8.5X11), 2nd shot couple of inches away, dang this was what I was seeing last time I worked with this gun and cast boolits, well shots 3-5 are in one roughly one 30 caliber hole. This is 50 yards, so maybe I can wring some accuracy outa cast and 22 caliber.

I'm guessing that gives me high powered 22 LR velocities.

uscra112
04-02-2013, 09:58 AM
Who was the wiseguy that built a gun using a 60,000 psi cartridge on a roller, is what I wanta know.

Or are you just pulling my leg?

Phil

Bullshop
04-02-2013, 10:26 AM
219 Donaldson was never a factory cartridge so pressure standards are set by the individual loader for the individual gun they will be fired in. Load for the gun not the cartridge.
I too have had a #5 smokeless roller in 219 Donaldson wasp.

uscra112
04-07-2013, 06:28 AM
219 Donaldson was never a factory cartridge so pressure standards are set by the individual loader for the individual gun they will be fired in. Load for the gun not the cartridge.
I too have had a #5 smokeless roller in 219 Donaldson wasp.

Well, I guess you got me there, since I own a 2R Lovell on a Ballard action.

Phil

TCLouis
04-14-2013, 12:14 PM
Got this gun back in the 60s from a crusty old gunsmith that got it from the estate of an even older crusty ol gunsmith/turkey shoot shooter.
Funny but in the guns he too had a switch barrel gun, 2RLovell and two others I have forgotten. Few folks shoot or even know of the Lovell.

I never think of the Wasp as a 60K round. Most of my Wasp loads are with pistol primers so pressure is NOT likely an issue.

In NE NM in those days turkey shoots were typically at unknown distance with a rifle.