PDA

View Full Version : Shotshell load question

truthisdiscovered
03-29-2013, 03:54 PM
Picked up a .690 ball mold and have cast some really nice balls. I have heard it stated here that when it comes to load calculations, weight is weight.

These balls are casting at between 480 and 485 grains which works out to be almost exactly 1 1/8 oz. I loaded a few in 2 3/4" Federal hulls w/ Win AA12 wads, over 18.5 grains of 700X.

Test firing them went fine, no obvious problems and very accurate out at 25 yards.

The ball seats very low in the shell however, and I thought perhaps to add a filler to simply raise ball closer to the end of the shell. I don't have any more room for additional weight as I am at the desired max for the powder charge and shot shell type.

Any suggestions as what I might add at the bottom of the wad to raise the level of the ball without adding much weight and/or causing other problems?

(other than my wedding ring of course:smile:)

TID

jmort
03-29-2013, 04:05 PM
I would post this in casting for shotguns and check out the threads/posts from Ajay and Longbow and others. The info you seek is there. Last I saw, there was good luck with the light brush wad from Ballistic Products.

truthisdiscovered
03-29-2013, 06:35 PM
I would then request a mod to please move this thread to the proper forum.

TID

Pilgrim
03-29-2013, 08:26 PM
The ball can be raised in the wad by use of the proper fiber wad or combination of fiber wads. Dial up Ballistic Products Inc. in your 'puter. They have everything you need, + Q&A if needed. FWIW

snuffy
03-29-2013, 08:57 PM
I'll answer this before it's moved.

To build height inside an AA wad, you'll need 20 ga fiber wads. They're available over on; http://www.ballisticproducts.com/. Are you star crimping these? The fiber wads WILL add weight, but not too much.

You might be well served to use a composite ,(stacked) wad column. Ballistic products has a slug loading manual that will spell out exactly what wads you need, and their catalog and website have all the wads listed. You can also use a roll crimper for those slug/ball loads. That's a good idea because a glance tells you they're slug/ball loads. Star crimped ball loads could be mistaken for a shot load. Good way for an accident at the sporting clays range!

Oh, to get your thread moved, PM one of the moderators to ask to move it.

runfiverun
03-29-2013, 09:13 PM
yep 20 ga felt or cork wad.
there is a good thread on using a round ball mold in the 12 ga in the shot shell section.