PDA

View Full Version : Colt Trooper MKIII 6" Royal blue value??

dagunnut
03-29-2013, 02:19 AM
A friend of mine wants to sell me his Colt Trooper MKIII .357mag 6" Royal blue for $500. It has one small spot of blueing wear and the end of the muzzle, but I would rate it easily at 80%. Does this sound like a fair price for it? It is a very accurate shooter and to me feels well balanced. He just doesn't like it and says he cant shoot it accuratly. I am aware of the dry firing issue with this model causing the hammer to break. This gun has not been dry fired by me or by him. I appreciate any and all input.

Thanks
Mario
dagunnut

FLINTNFIRE
03-29-2013, 02:50 AM
I would say that is a good price , mine was a 4 inch barrel , But I am a wheel gun fan with a favoritism to smith and wesson and colts
in the double action and ruger in single action

Frank46
03-29-2013, 11:35 PM
I have one of these and while it won't win any beauty contests loves the S&B 357 mag ammo. Missing a lot of finish and maybe some day will get someone to install the spare barrel and cylinder I bought years ago. Look for the set screw on the upper part of the trigger. Supposed to give a lighter trigger pull when carefully adjusted. I paid about $300 and change for mine and would not take twice that. Frank

dagunnut
03-30-2013, 12:19 AM
Thanks for the help guys. It has a really nice adjustable site and the set screw on the trigger like Frank46 says. It sure does shoot nice with 148gr HBWC over 2.3 grains Russian surplus 700X and with mixed brass and CCI primers.

birch
03-30-2013, 01:47 AM
I traded a really nice 14x Unertl 1.5 inch fine dot scope for my 6 inch nickel Colt Trooper MKIII and it was one of the best trades I have made in my life. I have never fired a python, but I have fired some of the finest handguns in the world, and this is by far the finest trigger I have ever felt. Mine has not been shot much, and I can only imagine what will happen when it breaks in a little more. I can keep all shots on a paper plate at 100 yards with open sights.
One word of caution--the internal parts are MIM which means the surface of the sear and all parts a feller might decide to take a fine stone to are extremely hard on the the outside. Do not let a gunsmith do any sort of trigger job on your gun the hardened part of the engagement surfaces are extremely thin. If a smith goes through that layer even a little, you will probably have to send your revolver back to smith for an expensive rework of internal components. It should be a perfect trigger, and if not perfect give it some time and it will be.

PbHurler
03-30-2013, 02:03 AM
I'd jump on it, seems a pretty good price!

missionary5155
03-30-2013, 07:57 AM
Good morning
Like that stock show..Buy BUy BUY ! Price will only go up.
Bought mine when the Troopers were selling off revolvers 25 years back to get the 9mm's. I am like Frank46.. It is a keeper. I have no regrets of buying all the old police turn in revolvers I could 20 years ago. But then I grew up in that 6 cylinder era and happy I did.
Mike in Peru

Hardcast416taylor
03-30-2013, 09:37 AM
A 4" Mk III was my first duty gun. Many K of different rounds have gone thru it. Funny how I have never noticed a set screw on the trigger, have to tear it down and check. I replaced the factory springs with Wolff for a lighter smoother pull anyway.Robert