PDA

View Full Version : reloading 10mm

bludog
03-28-2013, 11:12 PM
I'm getting ready to start reloading 10mm. I bought a set of lee deluxe 10mm/40 dies. I set the die so the shell holder touches the die. The problem I'm having is the brass looks like it's sized down to much at the base. I have to size the whole brass because it has a little glock bluge. I know it won't hurt anything but I dislike the way it looks. Is there a better sizer die for 10mm?

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
03-28-2013, 11:35 PM
How much is "too much"? The sizer die is suppose to eliminate the bulge and size the case back to the proper specs so it will chamber properly.

Maybe it is just an optical illusion since you are used to looking at it with the bulge. Grab a factory 10mm if you have one and compare.

bludog
03-28-2013, 11:53 PM
I just looked at the brass again, I think my dies is sizing half of the bulge and can't reach the rest. looks like I need a bulge buster die. but everyone is sold out.

khmer6
03-29-2013, 12:08 AM
Hey I know what you mean. The base of the brass looks really large compared to the rest of the body. I haven't had any issues in various head stamp out of a g20. Someone on here was selling the bulge buster. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
03-29-2013, 12:22 AM
If you are worried about the bulge and the longevity of your expensive 10mm brass may I recommend and aftermarket barrel which will have a tighter chamber...thus eliminating the bulge??

I own a G29 with a Storm Lake barrel (10mm) and a Lone wolf barrel (40SW), G21 with a Jarvis, and a G23 with a Lone wolf. I am happy with them all. Lone wolf is the cheapest, then Storm Lake, and the Jarvis was the most expensive and required a little fitting on my part. If you go lone wolf, be aware their chambers are sometimes too tight for cast bullets to chamber. I had to send them dummy rounds so they knew how much take off the chamber. If you shoot cast I would highly recommend doing this. Good luck!

Oreo
03-29-2013, 12:37 AM
Don't trust your eyes. Bust out the calipers and take measurements. Post your results and we can advise better. Off the cuff though, I'd say don't worry about it. Load'em up and shoot'em up. If they funtion fine then there is no problem.

LUBEDUDE
03-29-2013, 02:27 AM
If you don't have a case gauge/chamber checker, pull your barrel, load a 4 or 5 dummy rounds and see if they drop easily into the chamber.

chamber checker from Dillon $15

Lloyd Smale
03-29-2013, 07:10 AM
Lee and redding make push through dies for taking the bulge out of cases. I run all the once fired brass through them and then any brass i shoot myself in my 40 or 10mm glocks. Its one more step in loading but the cool thing is its a safe step to let your kid or grandkid do

khmer6
03-29-2013, 09:22 AM
Oops.... The little ones aren't suppose to help with charging the cases or priming..... :rolleyes:

bludog
03-29-2013, 10:20 AM
I'm looking at getting a KKM barrel for my g20, Might order it today.

bludog
03-29-2013, 10:24 AM
Lee and redding make push through dies for taking the bulge out of cases. I run all the once fired brass through them and then any brass i shoot myself in my 40 or 10mm glocks. Its one more step in loading but the cool thing is its a safe step to let your kid or grandkid do

Good idea find a cheap lee press and set it up for my 10 year old to use it for a bulge buster die only

khmer6
03-29-2013, 10:29 AM

I just got my 6 lone wolf barrel. Chamber is really tight. Haven't tried dropping a cast round into it yet. Once my water dropped boolits harden I'm going to load up so Lee 170gr TC size to 401 in it. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/29/jyhe8ata.jpg

seagiant
03-30-2013, 10:07 PM
Hi,
Yep need the case guage! Also the LW barrels are a little tight in the chamber and need a polish sometimes!

Cane_man
03-30-2013, 10:36 PM
I'm getting ready to start reloading 10mm. I bought a set of lee deluxe 10mm/40 dies. I set the die so the shell holder touches the die. The problem I'm having is the brass looks like it's sized down to much at the base. I have to size the whole brass because it has a little glock bluge. I know it won't hurt anything but I dislike the way it looks. Is there a better sizer die for 10mm?

you can get a Lee bulge buster or the Redding G-RX die and it will size the entire case and remove the bulge at the casehead... if you are going to be a dedicated 10mm fanatic then this die is highly recommended... you may want to consider getting an after market drop in barrel as it is much easier on the brass and will give you "peace of mind" when you shoot lead... all the best with your 10, it is an awesome caliber

Lloyd Smale
03-31-2013, 08:21 AM
sent you a pm. Ive got one and will sell it alot cheaper then new. this ones allready been sent back to wolf to open it up and polish it. Havent even put it back on the gun since its been back.