PDA

View Full Version : Proud of my daughter last night

selmerfan
03-28-2013, 10:51 PM
Last night our 7 year old daughter pulled her 8th baby tooth out around supper time. My wife and I made sure to collect 8 quarters for the tooth fairy pillow. At around 11 p.m. last night I snuck in the room, slipped my hand under her pillow to get the tooth pillow and felt a piece of paper as well. I pulled both the pillow and slip of paper out. She had written, "Dear tooth fairy, please give the money to someone who really needs it." With tears in my eyes I woke up mom to show her the note. We work to instill in our kids the fact that they are very, very well off in this world, even though we don't always have all the money we want, we have everything we need and more. I left one quarter in her pillow and dropped the rest into the box for Feed My Starving Children. Our local ministerium has joined together, 13 congregations in all, to host a MobilePack with the organization Feed My Starving Children. We're working to raise $22,000 dollars to pay for 100,000 meals that we will pack over three days this coming November. If you would like to donate to the cause, click on this link http://www.fundraising.fmsc.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?supId=0&ievent=1047049 and click on the "donate now!" button the upper right hand side.

Heavy lead
03-28-2013, 10:53 PM
Well somebody is doing something right.
Congratulations to all three of you.
A good kid and a good adult in the making.

edler7
03-28-2013, 11:08 PM
A kid like that should have an extra ice cream cone in their near future.

You have every right to be proud.

1Shirt
03-28-2013, 11:17 PM
A tip of the hat to great parents!
1Shirt!

Bad Water Bill
03-29-2013, 07:59 AM
What a great compliment to that young girls parents.

Congratulations MOM and DAD.

Doc Highwall
03-29-2013, 08:47 AM
Way to go!

psychicrhino
03-29-2013, 09:00 AM
Hey I misted up a little on that one, good job with your young uns.

Houndog
03-29-2013, 09:07 AM
Good on her! I hope you realize how rare it is in these "me first" times to find a kid that thinks of someone other than themselves. GOD bless her and her parents!

KinkBreaker
03-29-2013, 12:04 PM
awesome

shooter2
03-29-2013, 12:31 PM
The end result of proper parenting. Well done!

TCLouis
03-29-2013, 02:18 PM
As I look at leading internet "news" stories and variety of uninspiring people in them
a grand story of a GREAT young lady bursts off the page and makes my soul smile.

Maybe why I have trust and faith in real gun owners I do not know
all out of proportion to my knowledge of them.

Smitty's Retired
03-29-2013, 02:28 PM
Things like this, is what gives me faith that there is still hope in the world. This child is thoughtful from her heart, a trait you don't see in a lot of the young today. Extra huggs for her for sure.

PS Paul
03-29-2013, 02:34 PM
You CLEARLY are doing the parenting job correctly. Wish more folks like you were out there doing the right thing instead of teaching their little ones to be "takers". Bravo!!
PSP

Three-Fifty-Seven
03-29-2013, 02:41 PM

RayinNH
03-29-2013, 07:31 PM
Now she needs to be taught the TRUTH! (About who the Tooth fairy, Easter bunny, Santa ... Really is!)

Don't worry she can handle the truth much better now, then trying to figure out why mommy & daddy lied to her later,

I respectfully have to disagree. Let the girl enjoy her childhood. They grow up way too fast as it is...Ray

Bad Water Bill
03-29-2013, 08:07 PM
Never once in the last 70 years or so since I learned who SANTA,EASTER BUNNIE AND TOOTH FAIRY were did the thought that my folks had LIED to me EVER enter my mind till someone here mentioned it ONLY here.

IIRC I truly appreciated just what my folks were doing for me.

fouronesix
03-29-2013, 11:13 PM
Bless her heart! And bless you and your family with the "mission" work and the adoption.

Three-Fifty-Seven
03-30-2013, 09:52 AM
receive.

DCP
03-30-2013, 06:07 PM
When I turn 16 or so, the folks and myself didn't see eye to eye. They were the two biggest jerks there were and jerks wasn't the words I used back then. Somewhere in my 20s THEY (LOL) changed.

NOW

Never once since I learned who SANTA,EASTER BUNNY AND TOOTH FAIRY, did I think that my folks had LIED to me

Good job Mom and Dad what a caring little girl

semtav
03-30-2013, 06:13 PM
Well, I'll say this ... Her heart is in the right place!

Now she needs to be taught the TRUTH! (About who the Tooth fairy, Easter bunny, Santa ... Really is!)

Don't worry she can handle the truth much better now, then trying to figure out why mommy & daddy lied to her later,

That's pathetic.
My wife decided our son didn't need to be fed that stuff either. She saw what he missed out on and our daughter got to enjoy it like the rest of the kids.

scottiemom
03-30-2013, 06:56 PM
this gives me hope for our future. what a great kid!!

Jim
03-30-2013, 07:48 PM
Selmerfan, pay no attention to the grafitti on the wall. Look at the vast majority of the responses that support you.

I'm proud of you for your parenting skills. Now, go tell that fine young lady I'm proud of her, too!

selmerfan
03-30-2013, 09:05 PM
Oh, both of our children are at the top of their classes academically and are hardly gullible. The tooth fairy, Easter bunny, and Santa Claus are all mythical figures that we continue to enjoy "celebrating". The girls are 7 and 9. I have no doubt that they know they are not real and they love to play along with the "inside joke". They also are well aware of the event of Easter - Christ who died has now risen to bring us new life and the whole world with new creation and we celebrate the Savior's birth at Christmas as well. We love the family jokes of the tooth fairy and the Easter bunny hanging out and conversing about who has received what. They listen to me preach every weekend, literally (Lutheran pastor here) and I'm convinced that they get more from my sermons that many of the adults. Rest assured, her note tells me that her heart is in the right place and she is answering a call to mission - she knows how well she is fed and is thankful for what she receives and wants other kids to not be hungry. And don't worry, she's a pain in the rear at time as well - just like every other kid. Both of them begged to go fish on the MN river today because the water is open - 25" of ice on the lakes, but the river is open. We spent an hour and a half optimistically waiting for a bite with no success, but we had a great time looking at the thousands of waterfowl fly overhead and about every species of duck you can imagine fly within shotgun range this morning. I love where I live and love that my girls enjoy the outdoors. Schedule tomorrow? Two Easter celebration services with a baptism and Holy Communion, home for grilled T-bones and pork chops with baked potatoes, then off to the gravel pit owned by a member so that they can break out the .22s and bang steel. Who needs boys?!? :grin:

lars1367
03-30-2013, 10:00 PM
Great work! If every adult could see the world through the eyes of a child.

CLAYPOOL
03-30-2013, 11:30 PM
Well done...!

2HighSpeed
04-03-2013, 10:10 PM
I have to disagree here, respectfully.
You are only a child once, the innocence I see in my children at CHRISTmas time, Easter, etc is priceless. I would give anything to feel the emotions they do when waking up to see the Easter bunny hid thier basket in the dryer or behind the TV and left little bunny footprints everywhere. Kids need that, because these traditions we carry now are traditions they will carry with thier children. I never thought my parents lied to me, I knew Santa was a fat man in a red suit from
Down the road that Daddy hired long before my parents told me the "truth". I let them enjoying seeing my innocence a little while longer. Daddy's little girl doesn't stay little forever.

Well, I'll say this ... Her heart is in the right place!

Bad Water Bill
04-03-2013, 10:57 PM
~Andrea

Thanks for refreshing my memories.

When my wife died my daughter was 5 so Santa still had to arrive the same way he always did. No presents were wrapped till xmas eve when I took them out of hiding when Lara finally went to sleep.

The tree was hidden till then also. So dad had to wrap everything,bring in the tree,set it in the special base (shipped from Germany Grandmother),install OVER 200 ornaments(some handmade by Germany prisoners),put on 10 strands of lights,hang 8 boxes of old fashion tinsel,then mount 20 genuine candle holders and candles and last but not least put the ANGEL on top for MOM.

Well I think I slept for a whole hour after all of that work BUT the smile on Laras face when she saw that Santa had not forgotten her cause mom was gone was priceless.

Other kids in school let the younger ones know about Santa so I do not think a single kid ever thought their folks LIED to them.

Keep the traditions going and remember the great memories.

Thanks again:grin: