PDA

View Full Version : Using a trommle

TES
03-28-2013, 08:45 PM
So I built a trommle and made my first attempt at getting range lead. Is there an easy way to separate rocks from lead after clarifying with a screen. I would like to leave more rock at the range before I come home. Right now out of 250 pounds of material I get about 100 lb of lead.

I'll Make Mine
03-28-2013, 10:44 PM
If you had some way to separate based on density, it'd be a snap; any lead bullet alloy will weigh at least three times as much as a pebble the same size. Problem is, density separation is pretty much like panning gold -- you'll need lots of water to make it happen, and it's more work than just melting and skimming.

FLINTNFIRE
03-29-2013, 01:14 AM
I look at it as I am cleaning for the next time , but seriously , I end up with jackets and rocks and clumps of clay sometimes , just burn the pot and skim ,funny part is my wife and my eldest daughter both like to help get lead at the range , they shoot but then they scavenge to , when drier weather arrives we will clean the pistol backstop again, as we live in wet washington and the range never used sand only the red clay soil from the range , it makes it interesting when it gets wet , sure wished king and thurston , pierce counties would pack up and move south before they stuffed the no lead wheel weights down our throats.

.22-10-45
03-29-2013, 02:19 AM
Even worse than rocks... are pieces of clay targets..if that stuff gets in there, it's a sticky mess!

lmfd20
03-30-2013, 12:02 AM
Pictures of the trommel? Do you use water or just screen the material. I do a lil gold prospecting and if you have access to water while doing it, you could ad a sluice box to your trommel. The rocks and trash will wash away and the lead will hang in the box.

TES
03-30-2013, 04:11 PM
No the range is remote. There isn't really a way to get power unless I want to get a genni. I don't want to fuss with water as it would be a mess. I'm paranoid enough about lead contamination so...

I kinda figured that it would be easier the next time once I remove all the rocks...

Yes the clay's smell to high heaven when cooked.

I'm thinking of making a table shaker with a gate that is .50 high so that the bullets pass under and irregular shaped rocks get push aside..might play with this idea.

LMFD we moved from HHI coupla years ago....I miss the boat and the sand bar...

http://imageshack.us/a/img844/8818/p3300379.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img28/8042/p3300381.jpg

Somebody posted pics on the web and I admittedly borrowed a few things and will be making extensive modifications....it isn't pretty but it does work!

btroj
03-31-2013, 08:11 AM
Yeah, I will stick to using my fingers. Got 600 pounds that way last year. Just works to well to change for my needs.

I have often ought about a small cement mixer and running water to get at lead faster but I don't have running water at the range and it would make a mess. I prefer the low impact methods to keep berms intact.