PDA

View Full Version : 8mm, new rifle, new boolit

x101airborne
03-28-2013, 08:30 PM
Well, as the addiction continues, I picked up another mauser. A K-98 in fair, but kinda rough shape. The ol girl has seen corrosive ammo for sure. After alternating boiling water, steel wool, Hoppes #9, bronze brush, military patches, etc, I think I have it pretty clean. Now, believe this, the chamber is TIGHT! I mean , the brass, made from '06 cases had to be trimmed to minimum specs to close the bolt. But, there is a lot of throat erosion. A friend of mine some time ago, sent me the Lee 8mm Karabiner mold (mine drops at 240 grains) and this is the mold I would like to try. So, perusing the Lyman Cast Bullet Manual, I find that for them, the most accurate load was with Winchester 748. I have a 10 year old pound of this powder still sealed, so time to break it out.
My boolits are water quenched 50/50 WW/pure, gas checked and lubed with LLA. Sized to .323 (that is the only 8mm sizer I could get right now, so before I open it up, I am gonna try it). They load easy in the cases, but BARELY touch the rifling. Even seated out to where the bottom of the boolit is even with the bottom of the neck. So I only loaded up 5 of each powder weight (33 and 35 grains) just to try them. Naturally, any problems will rear their ugly head very quickly.
So wish me luck!
Hopefully, I will get these shot off tomorrow.

plainsman456
03-28-2013, 08:46 PM
It does get that way .

Good luck at the range.

oldarkie
03-30-2013, 09:26 AM
just putting in my .02cents worth,i got a karbiner mold last sept. mine drops 234grs.sized them to .325 they shot pretty good.they drop from the mold at .327 and i thought what the heck,lubed them with lla ,gas checked them ,they shot even better.

Gunnut 45/454
03-30-2013, 11:25 PM
My heavy bullet is a 205 gr NOE which comes out about 230gr with my alloy. Nice long bullet which shoot very well in my K98 , OK in my G98/40s! Thats my thumper for Elk, Black Bear. If I want them stopped right now- just bust both shoulders!

x101airborne
03-31-2013, 10:01 PM
yessir. A good boolit for sure. My first load shot into an inch and a half and my next highest load shot into an inch for 5 shots at 50 yards. I am going to go up a couple loads yet and start to shoot 10 shot groups. This should tell me a bunch about this rifle and load.