PDA

View Full Version : REview of the DVD "Trigger Job" by Jerry Miculek

Dale53
08-24-2007, 04:50 PM
As a result of my recent purchase of an S&W 625-8 I did a search of the net looking for current information on my new acquisition. In doing so, I ran onto a DVD that apparently has been out for some time - "Trigger Job", by Jerry Miculek.
Jerry, as most any revolver fan should know, is the fastest revolver shooter of all time. He is absolutely amazing in action.

I have been working on my own S&W revolvers for many, many years. I think it is safe to say that I pretty much know my way around the "innerds" of S&W revolvers. However, I am always willing to learn and hoping that I might pick up some tips on S&W's, I ordered out Jerry's DVD. Keep in mind that I am NOT a professional pistolsmith but rather consider myself an extremely interested "hobbyist". My early years were, like most of us, marked by a singular lack of "Discretionary Income". I learned to do a lot of things simply because "If I didn't, it wouldn't have happened".

The DVD is comprehensive and takes you from "Pre-inspection" to dissassembly, repairs or "tuning" to reassembly and full assessment of the S&W revolver. The information is first rate, clear and easy to understand (if you have a mechanical bent). The video is very clear and you can see EXACTLY what Jerry recommends and what he does to smooth the action.

I DID learn a couple of things (at least[smilie=1:) and consider it well worth the price of admission. No one should attempt this work unless you DO have "good hands" but if you have a bit of a mechanical apptitude and can follow clear directions, I think you will be happy with this DVD - I know that I am. Just pay attention to what he says and go slow and carefully and you'll be ok.

Jerry is Jim Clark's son-in-law and is an excellent pistol smith himself. This is professional level instruction and can be viewed as such.

Dale53

slughammer
08-24-2007, 05:04 PM
When can we expect a review of Jerry's other video (Ultimate Advanced Revolver)? :-)

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/23947/catid/11/Ultimate_Advanced_Revolver

I want it, but I've been holding out for DVD.

9.3X62AL
08-24-2007, 05:19 PM
Dale--

I would rate my own skill level with S&W lockwork similar to your description of your own. That being said--I have a small inventory of thumbpiece strut rods and springs, as well as rebound slide springs laying around. This DVD sounds like it's worth getting, so I won't hack at you with a bunch of questions.

I'm guessing here that the recommendations favor polishing of contact and slide surfaces rather than clipping springs and all that shade tree stuff. I've done this on several of my S&Ws, concentrating on the rebound slide spring--the spring gallery inside the slide--the slide surfaces that contact the frame runway (those are pretty good from the factory, usually)--and the frame runway itself. I have also polished the trigger pivot arbor--the bearing surface for the trigger at the frame and sideplate contact points--and the trigger/rebound slide strut rod and its nest inside the slide. I don't mess with sear surfaces AT ALL, and remove no metal--just polish what's there, and use good light lube on the now-polished contact and engagement surfaces. This gives a smoother D/A pull, subjective impression at least.

How far does the Miculek video exceed those steps?

Dale53
08-24-2007, 06:09 PM
Al;
Miculek, himself, does NOT touch the sear surfaces. However, he shows in detail just how to polish and round the necessary surfaces (CAREFULLY). He gets VERY specific and that is GOOD!

He recommends that you install a dedicated "spring kit" (he offers it on his web site) and points out the reasons for changing to a matched set of springs (as opposed to thinning the mainspring and cliping coils from the trigger rebound spring). Incidentally, I am grateful that the matched springs are available (set is $16.95) and I do NOT consider this a mercenary thing on his part but merely supplying something needed for best results. His main spring is shaped differently than the stock spring and is necessary for a "good" light action job. We have all seen "trigger jobs" that were done badly with damaged parts and misfires, etc.

The part that I particularly was interested in was how he detailed polishing the sides of the hammer and trigger (so that it doesn't show) and the rounding of the double action contact points - that is definitely advanced 'smithing and frankly was worth the price of admission to me.

My revolvers are decently smooth but they are about to get better:-D (thanks to Jerry's DVD).

Dale53

P.S.
Slughammer, I AM interested in his other video but will probably not be getting it (at least for a while). Sometimes, it is just TOO humbling to watch this man work[smilie=1: . I am well aware of my limitations but I don't need to be reminded so strongly :( (that's what that video would do). rdm

9.3X62AL
08-24-2007, 06:23 PM
Got it, Dale. I'll bet one of those spring kits would make that M-624 x 6" I have into a rated-R movie.

Gotta get that DVD.

Dale53
08-24-2007, 08:53 PM
Al;
My 624's may feel the polishing wheel, themselves[smilie=1: .

My long barrel 624 (6.5") provided me with the best target I ever shot. I ran onto it the other day and even I was impressed (dern shame I was never able to "do it again":-D . It was sure fun doing it, tho' (I had witnesses).

Those are really nice revolvers.

Dale53

JSH
08-24-2007, 10:26 PM
It had been a while since I had a SW apart. When I got my 625JM I was disappointed in it's performance. I came here and read what I could find. Long story short, I grabbed the Brownells catalog and ordered a Wilson combat spring set. It helped a lot. SA was pretty good, which imho is the easy part. The DA was another story. I talked to a fellow a few weeks back with a Power rib spring that he gave me to try. He said he had misfires because it it a bit light. He was using CCI primers. I did get a new Brownells catalogue and saw the JM spring kit, a note on it recommended Federal primers. I have not done anything more than dry fire this so far. I mean to try it on some factory stuff and handloads in the next few days and see how it does.
What kind of lube do you fellows recommend? I have talked to several that told me to give lubriplate a try. I reassembled with SP10 for now. This oil has done wonders for a few guns.

BTW, I would be interested in "renting" the DVD if that were an option. Or maybe a few of us could chip in and pass it around to glean some good info and insight.
ya'll are a bad inflience on a fellow, lol. Next thing ya know I will have a 9mm of some sort.
Never, say never.
Jeff

Dale53
08-25-2007, 12:06 AM
JSH;
I haven't used these services, but here is a listing to rent the Jerry Miculek DVD:

http://smartflix.com/store/video/229/Trigger-Job
Dale53