PDA

View Full Version : Another wheel weights acquisition thread..

snowman
08-24-2007, 04:02 PM
I spent all morning and a majority of the afternoon hitting up local shops. Had ONE where the guy called around to all the local scrap yards and offered to sell it to me for a bit more (and let me put it on a CC at that).

So how much time do you spend driving. Do you find that the small shops are better to work with, or the large shops? If they already have a contract with someone, do you honor that contract or try to beat the price?

Namerifrats
08-24-2007, 05:02 PM
Around here it's the same. 2 in 20 will have some they will give away and 3 in 20 will sell them. So hit up about 20 places and you might be able to get them at 5 places. Small places are my best spots. Large places all sell them to the battery companies and all that or claim it's illegal for them to "dispose" of them by giving or selling them to the public. Several smaller places around here also say they throw them away or reuse them. I've hit two places the guy had a bucket in there with somebody's name and number on there. He said this guy gives me $15 per bucket, I offered 20 and got them. In my opinion, it's first come first serve. They are getting hard to get as it is and at least I'll shoot them instead of leaving them on the bottom of a lake somewhere.

snowman
08-24-2007, 05:38 PM
Sounds about right....I've hit about ten, so maybe in the next ten i'll get some for free!

I had one. Full bucket, guy said ten...in spanish. Other guy said ten, in english to me....I handed him a 20, he went to get change...came back and said it was supposed to be 100.

Lesson learned, carry small change and be ready to run with 100 lb bucket.

targetshootr
08-24-2007, 06:07 PM
Heehe. Good luck with the running. I'm happy when I can lift a bucket.

l found one place that let me have all I wanted until I think I may have too many. But I only plan to shoot for maybe ten more years.

trickyasafox
08-24-2007, 10:38 PM
i've been kinda lucky. i visit 4 shops: all will give me lead at a reasonable price (20 per bucket) but all don't always have lead when i go.

so some days i get a bucket, some days i don't. i go hunt whenever i have 20 dollars to spare.

dmftoy1
08-25-2007, 07:47 AM
I think one of the tricks is to combine your lead searching with other errands so you don't spend much driving around, it's more like you stop when you're doing other things. My absolute best luck has been in towns of 5k-20k people. I don't know if it's because there's less pressure on the resource or what but those guys seem happy to have someone take them and happy to get anything in return. I've also found that the fancier the shop the less likely it seems that they'll sell them . . . . .of course I think all of them would sell you them if you could deal with the guys that 'work' there . .it's mostly a function of the attitude of the "service manager"

I've found it really good to have 4-5 empty buckets in the back of a truck and then when we go camping or visiting relatives I hit the places in their neighborhood . .usually I'll see 2-3 places out of 12 that load me up.

Have a good one,
Dave

RayinNH
08-25-2007, 08:47 AM
My wife and I went out last night. We parked the car in a public parking garage. She gets out and immediately bends over to pick up a wheelweight that was aside of her door. A beauty about an inch and a half long. What a woman...Ray