View Full Version : Crimson Trace laser

LUCKYDAWG13
03-28-2013, 05:59 PM
ok im thinking about putting a laser sight. under my XDs
i never had one so i thought i would ask first do they work
will they last or do they just get in the way. and a wast of money

Love Life
03-28-2013, 07:06 PM
I have one on my Glock 26 and have fired close to a bazillion rounds through it. The CT lasers work very well, and I consider it money well spent.

Beau Cassidy
03-28-2013, 08:33 PM
I like the one on my model 27. I wish the light was on the other side because sometimes the laser will cause printing since it is a little prominent.

LUCKYDAWG13
03-28-2013, 08:41 PM
thanks guys one more thing Red or Green which is better out side in daylight

waksupi
03-28-2013, 08:59 PM
I had one, and it is good for closeup social purposes. I found if I tried targets at around 50+ yards, it was off considerably, because it by necessity had to cross path of flight at some point.

Wis. Tom
03-28-2013, 09:16 PM
I have one on my LC9, that I carry in the summer months,( I carry my 1911 in the winter) and have had no problems with it. I have the red, so I can't give you advice on the green, but I can see it out to about 15 yards, during a day with bright sunlight, but that is all I ask for, in CC purposes.

waksupi
03-29-2013, 12:34 AM
I watched a guy have a terrible time trying to sight one in. Then I told him to save his ammo, and just use his open sights to adjust it. He got one of those, "opps, I'm a dummy" looks, and had it sighted in less than five minutes.

bobthenailer
03-29-2013, 09:32 AM
IMO spend the money on ammo & pratice with your firearm ! a lazer sight has its applications! but it doesent make you proficiant with firearms just by having one .

Combat Diver
03-29-2013, 09:58 AM
First laser I used was a Surefire unit on a Italian M12 SMG in Italy summer of 91. Thing was the size of a 3 cell Mag light, worked for low light shooting or CQB. I started using CT laser grips on a M1911A1 in Iraq in 2003. Later used them on a M9 and SIG 226 there also. I also have a Vertical Foregrip that will fit on a rail system on a rifle (M4). These are all red visible lasers, no experience with the newer green ones and won't go into IR lasers.

Advantages:
allows hits to be made on target at low light and moving situations better then using sights.
allows hits to be made on target when fired from akward positions, ie your knock down on back, from driver seat while still driving, searching under beds, firing around cover.
can deter packs of roaming dogs without firing a shot, however not all dogs turned when lased (I was a combat tracker and used to protect our tracking dogs from fighting with other dogs)
another tool in the toolbox
grip models allow use of current holsters

Disadvantages
Not seen very well in bright sunlight (red, then use sights)

They are a great asset and another tool in the toolbox. They can be used or not depending on need. As the old saying goes better to have and not need then need and not have. I still have a set on my 1911 in the house. I would like to get a set for my Smith 442 and G19. Gunfights are not always on bright sunny days out in the open.

House gun
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/1911_CTC_with_knife_left_side.jpeg

On SIG226 on FOB's archery range during dust storm Iraq 08'
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/P6020014_Jackolope_hunting_resized.JPG
VFG on M4 same time
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/P60200181.JPG
Akward firing position rolling out behind low cover
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/low_wall.jpg

CD

tomme boy
03-29-2013, 11:55 AM
I have had one on my G26 for about 5 years. I love it. I have it sighted for 12 yds. I can hit soda cans out to 20 yds before the offset throws the bullet too far off.

LUCKYDAWG13
03-29-2013, 05:29 PM
Ok i went up to Cabelas and picked up one a lasermax Micro
tomorrow ill try it out at the range if it works ill put a laser on
my SP101 65801

TCFAN
03-29-2013, 06:28 PM
I put one on my SP 101 a crimson trace. It made all the difference in being able to shoot that gun for me. It does not work very good in bright sunlight,but in dim light it works great..............Terry

cat223
03-31-2013, 06:21 AM
I had a red laser on my S&W 422 but eventually took it off. Not a big fan of lasers. Reading the posts here, maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance.

winelover
03-31-2013, 07:34 AM
Have Laser Grips (red) for both J- frame and Browning HP. Best thing since sliced bread. Grips don't interfere with holster carry, as would the trigger or dust cover mounted ones. For CC, they are excellent deterrents and aid in gun retention. You can literally, fire from the hip. Great for low light and will work in bright sunlight, if target is shaded. Don't leave home without them! Would like to try the green ones, but they are a bit pricier.

Winelover

Sasquatch-1
03-31-2013, 08:36 AM
Is this for a concealed carry piece or just to use at the range? If it is to use at the range I would say look into a red dot. If it is for concealed carry then maybe think about the lazer.

phonejack
03-31-2013, 09:32 AM
I have had one on a 1911 for several years. It's good for me.

fourarmed
04-04-2013, 04:20 PM
I used to have my doubts about lasers, but I am now a convert. A CT laser grip made my J-frame far more usable under low light conditions. In addition, they are great training aids. They make dry-firing a real eye-opening experience. You can hone your rapid double-action firing technique without firing a live round. Now if I could just get one for my Detective special.

Artful
04-05-2013, 11:05 PM
They do have their place

Rodfac
04-06-2013, 08:57 AM
I used to have my doubts about lasers, but I am now a convert. A CT laser grip made my J-frame far more usable under low light conditions. In addition, they are great training aids. They make dry-firing a real eye-opening experience. You can hone your rapid double-action firing technique without firing a live round.

That's been my experience as well, with a CT fitted to my wife's S&W M637. Training three "not really interested in guns" shooters who'd been scared into buying guns, I found that it really brought home trigger control. It wasn't as good in hard bright sunlight, but for home defense where ambient light is not that bright, it's really good.

I've been a short gun shooter now for over 50 years, and that bouncing red dot showed me some double action traits to my trigger work, that I'd not known.

Best Regards, Rod