PDA

View Full Version : lyman tru line jr

kartooo
03-28-2013, 04:44 PM
has anybody bored out the die holes and had them re tapped for 7/8X14 ?
is there enough material there ?
i like the luxury of powder through expanding die that i can't get with the stock 310 dies.

LUBEDUDE
03-28-2013, 05:45 PM
There was a guy on ebay selling turrets bored out for 7/8 x 14 for the Tru Line Jr.

They may still be there. They ain't cheap.

44Vaquero
03-28-2013, 06:20 PM
He still sells the new tool heads, I picked one up last year. No, they are not cheap. They make the little press a very productive addition to the bench in my opinion.

If you decide go that route send me a pm, I have the contact information for the gentleman that produces them. He will sell them direct cheaper than e-bay.

kartooo
03-28-2013, 06:53 PM
He still sells the new tool heads, I picked one up last year. No, they are not cheap. They make the little press a very productive addition to the bench in my opinion.

If you decide go that route send me a pm, I have the contact information for the gentleman that produces them. He will sell them direct cheaper than e-bay.

PM sent

kartooo
03-28-2013, 06:54 PM
There was a guy on ebay selling turrets bored out for 7/8 x 14 for the Tru Line Jr.

They may still be there. They ain't cheap.

did a search, no luck.

yooper
03-28-2013, 07:07 PM
A Lyman Tru-Line Jr. was my very first press MANY years ago. A nice press for handguns and neck sizing rifle cases, but I don't know if I'd trust it to do a lot of full length sizing of rifle cartridges. I feel it would loosen up pretty quickly. Personally, if I felt I had to go with the bigger dies for some reason I'd match them with a bigger press. JMHO.
yooper

kartooo
03-28-2013, 07:33 PM
A Lyman Tru-Line Jr. was my very first press MANY years ago. A nice press for handguns and neck sizing rifle cases, but I don't know if I'd trust it to do a lot of full length sizing of rifle cartridges. I feel it would loosen up pretty quickly. Personally, if I felt I had to go with the bigger dies for some reason I'd match them with a bigger press. JMHO.
yooper

i do .38 special.
the bigger dies just give me the luxury of powder delivery through the expander that the old 310 style does not offer.

yooper
03-28-2013, 08:42 PM
Got ya. Good luck with your project.
yooper

44Vaquero
03-29-2013, 01:18 AM
PM's replied to.

I only use mine for my .32 Magnum and .45 Cowboy Special Brass (my 1858 Remington Kirst Konversion). In short I would say pistol cartridges only with the 7/8x14 head!!!

44Vaquero
04-06-2013, 10:31 AM
For those of you who may be interested, I just noticed this listing for a Tru-Line Jr., on E-Bay. The seller does not know what they have, the second pictures shows a very nice 7/8x14 tool head installed upside down on the press! The tool head alone is worth $60.00, the press is in nice shape too!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Lyman-Tru-Line-Jr-Reloading-Press-/111046086386?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19dadccef2

Ziptar
04-06-2013, 11:36 AM
Ha! I could swear that is my old one I sold it the year before last. It was a compound linkage model. I took it apart, cleaned it up, repainted it Krylon Pumpkin Orange, and added a 7/8-14 dies head. I didn't have a box for it but that sure does look like it. I used it for .45 Colt and it worked well for that. I decided I liked my Lyman T-Mag better though.

After not selling any for a while the guy that makes the 7/8-14 heads for the Tru-line Jr is back, but the price has gone up.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261194682152

44Vaquero
04-06-2013, 11:41 AM
Ziptar, if you contact him direct his price is a great deal less. He sells on e-bay but dislikes using it. He also makes a 6 or 8 hole head for the Lyman All American!

Ziptar
04-06-2013, 11:47 AM
Thanks. Not looking to buy one though.. Been there done that.

uscra112
04-06-2013, 12:15 PM
To answer the original question - yes, it can be done. Part of my old Dad's legacy was a Tru-Line Junior which he had had a buddy in the machine shop where he worked do it for him. That was probably about 1965 or so. I still use it and nothing else for .38/.357, and I have the seater die for .223 mounted in the spare hole. Very handy little tool. I even take it to the range, mounted on a 10" length of 2x8 that I can clamp to the shooting bench.

Le Loup Solitaire
04-06-2013, 01:06 PM
The Lyman Tru-Line Jr was a very popular press and to some extent still is. It was designed to load pistol cartridges and did so very well. It is a neat compact unit that can be portable if needed. It used the same dies as the Lyman 310 tool and also accommodated the #55 powder measure. It also neck-sized cartridges of various lengths. It will work with a turret head that is made or altered to use 7/8X14 dies, but the user has to be careful not to over-stress the linkage which is simply not really strong to begin with. Any attempt to case form or swage will result in a breakage or bending problem. The same problem might occur with the full length sizing of large rifle caliber casings. When I had one there was no primer catcher and the spent primers went all over the room. Re- priming was easy and the press used its own shell holders; everything was up front and easy to see. The currently produced modified turret is a vast improvement in that it allows the user to use a much wider range of modern dies that far exceeds the spectrum originally offered by the 310 dies back in the day. LLS

kartooo
04-06-2013, 07:06 PM
lyman still makes dies for the 310/tru-line
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/dies/lyman-310-tool.php

Green Frog
04-07-2013, 03:41 PM
For some reason, this topic comes up again about every 2-3 months... I guess it's because folks see one of these old presses and think they are so darn cute that they ought to have one... then they want to actually do something with it! ;)

I have and have had at least half a dozen or more of them and still keep at least one attached to the loading bench and another on a board to clamp down as needed. I have yet to find a press I like better for loading the 32 family of revolver cartridges, with the only downside being the lack of availability of a carbide sizing die. :( What I generally do is decal and size a large batch of cases using a single stage press and the carbide die, the hand prime them before moving on to the little TL Jr. Sometimes I use a Lyman #55 powder measure, but sometimes I drop powder off of the press, but I can easily bell the cases and then seat and crimp the bullet on the little press. This works well for any straight sided case, but it seems like the TL Jr really likes the 32. I have thought of having a single station redrilled and tapped to 7/8 X 14 so I could use the carbide die, but haven't gotten a round tuit, because they are back ordered in the buying panic.

For other uses of the TruLine Jr, I personally like to use one to load 32-40 and 45-70 since the latter is straight sided and the former is a straight taper. I've loaded both on the TL Jr for schuetzen, black powder cartridge, etc. with very good results. They load like long pistol cartridges! :mrgreen: However, I have absolutely no desire to try loading bottle neck rifle cartridges with this press since even if you got it bored out for larger dies, you still wouldn't have the strength or leverage I would want for that type of duty, JMHO, YMMV! ;)

Wonder how soon someone will start this thread all over again? :coffeecom In case you're still wondering, I really do like my TruLine Jrs and have no intention of giving them up!

Froggie

PS As has been mentioned, the 310 Tool dies will generally work with the TruLine Jr and there is a company that is mentioned here fairly frequently called the 310 Shop that has a huge variety of dies one could utilize to load about any reasonable caliber.