PDA

View Full Version : Let there be light, CH Auto Champ.

Case Stuffer
03-28-2013, 03:56 PM
My current loading bench is rather impromptu and lighting sucks thus I was having to wear a cap with a bill light to see powder charge levels.

Another one of my Hobbies is RC aircraft some of which are equiped with lights for nite flying. I added a 12 LED light strip which is powered by 12V DC.

First photo no light ,second and third with LED powered.If you look closly the power level can be seen clearly in the middle photo.

I know the aluminum loaded round stop on the end is very make shift and ruff. I keep meaning to clean it up but it works and the original one has been missing for years. This 30 year plus old press is far from new but still cranks out the ammo with a little effort.

9mm / 135gr.SWC / 5.7 gr. Hogdon HS-6

Light strip I used :

HobbyPartz White LED-12 79P-10186 2 2.90 ( $2.90 ea. and I am only using one)

http://hobbypartz.ecommerce-site-search.com/?query=&query=12-79P-10186&vwcatalog=yhst-62196343123315&.autodone=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hobbypartz.com%2Fledfor cars.html

LUBEDUDE
03-28-2013, 05:41 PM
Those lights make a huge difference!

W.R.Buchanan
03-30-2013, 02:49 PM
IF you look at Seagiants thread on his Auto Champ You can see a different version of the loaded round catcher that I made for this press when it was mine.

The only problem I had with it when I was using it was with the snap back of the advance bar knocking powder out of the charged case. Some kind of adjustable shock absorber would do the job. I tried but the one I got was too stiff so it didn't allow the slide to go all the way home. It wasn't adjustable either and I didn't want to spend $100 for one that was.

Otherwise you can crank out some ammo with one of these machines, I did 600 rnds in one hour once.

I like the lights!

Randy

seagiant
03-30-2013, 08:18 PM
Hi CS,
Thanks for the info and pics! I've got two of these machines and if you need anything call the nice people at CH4D, they fully support the machine,but don't sale it! I have just learned to keep my left index finger on the case with the powder as it advances to the right. The monkey mind is easily trained I guess, and I don't even realize I'm doing it! I wish I had more time to fine tune some things but to many other fish to fry. Here is a pic of the machine I got from Randy!

W.R.Buchanan
03-31-2013, 01:59 PM
Greg: I made a little block to take the place of the stop for the advance slide. It had a small shock absorber on it to tone down the return motion of the slide.

Problem was that the little shock absorber I got was not adjustable and was too stiif to allow the slide to return all the way to the stop. I had to abandon it. A proper shock can be had from Mc Carr.

A solution like this with the proper shock absorber would eliminate having to cover the charged case with your finger.

Also a Lee bullet feeder would work on that machine to place the boolits. The resulting machine would easily do 800/hour.

I'm sure you have noticed that if you allow powder to spill out of the cases that it eventually ties up the machine. I always had an air hose nearby and blew everything out about every 5 minutes to keep running smoothly.

Pretty neat piece of machinery huh?

Randy

ACrowe25
03-31-2013, 02:53 PM
Wow those lights really made a difference, I'll have to take a stop at my local hobby shop to see if they carry the same thing.