PDA

View Full Version : Minie Ball Lube Sizers

gspgundog
03-28-2013, 02:16 PM
Does anyone know if there are lube sizing dies for the .58 cal Military style minie ball? Failing that what do you use as a cutter to get the bullets out of the lube when pan lubing? These balls will be fired from a replica 1863 Springfield musket which is why I mention military style minie balls.

fouronesix
03-28-2013, 02:55 PM
Conventional 58 lubrisizer? hmm, not that I know of unless there is a specialty company making them or someone has modified an existing system. Pan lubing most minies seems a little fruitless at least in the conventional minie design. Could be useful for such as the deep grease groove like the N-S "target" minies. Another alternative to pan lubing is simply dipping in some melted lube. Or, I just use the KISS method and lube using my finger and some soft lube. :)

Fly
03-28-2013, 06:35 PM
What size do you need?
Fly

Nobade
03-28-2013, 08:31 PM
I just dip lube them. Like making candy, dip a couple of times in molten lube and let dry on wax paper. Ready to use.

-Nobade

Fly
03-28-2013, 09:00 PM
Ya I agree.
Fly

gspgundog
03-28-2013, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the info never thought about dipping them. I also normally use the finger and soft lube method but thought maybe could find a better way.

gunner69
03-28-2013, 10:18 PM
If you buy one of the "speed loaders" available you can pan lube them and push "cut" them out of the warm lube (almost set but not hard). If the lube is not "warm" it will crack on cutting. Some folks actually "pre-warm" the bullets in the pie tin prior to pouring the heated lube over the bullets. Works for me............

451whitworth
03-28-2013, 10:35 PM
lodgewood.com
click on accessories

fouronesix
03-28-2013, 11:13 PM
Yep, I've looked at the Lodgewood dies but not sure how well the lubrisizer die would work with any kind of conventional lube on a traditional style minie. Seems like it would be like trying to lubrisize a tumble lube bullet. I have no experience with them.

But, I've used their push through sizers and they work fine within a range of about .001-.002" for fine-tune sizing.

their lubrisizer die looks like this