PDA

View Full Version : clean smelting pot first?

elginrunner
03-28-2013, 08:34 AM
so I bought a lodge dutch oven to smelt in. I believe it is "seasoned" or has oil on it. Should I clean in out first or just chunk the lead in and fire it up?

Jon
03-28-2013, 08:41 AM
Just fire it up. The coating will burn off.

FLINTNFIRE
03-28-2013, 12:01 PM
As said fire it up any oil or such will burn itself off , I load my pot about 3/4 full leaving some room to skim off dross and dirt , clips and jackets , still have the old cast pot that came with my burner , moved up to the propane bottle half , holds so much more .
By loading a bigger batch of scrap in it I avoid adding any wet or cold scrap to a melt, when it gets down to the bottom where just a thin puddle is , I reduce the heat then add another load and turn heat back up.

detox
03-28-2013, 01:53 PM
The cleaner everything is the better. I would wash the pot so that ash will not build up. I would also pressure wash wheel weights or any other dirty lead before smelting. The cleaner the lead the better.

shadowcaster
03-28-2013, 07:31 PM
The cleaner everything is the better. I would wash the pot so that ash will not build up. I would also pressure wash wheel weights or any other dirty lead before smelting. The cleaner the lead the better.

I don't agree with this at all! Purposely adding water to any lead IMO is a mistake. Lead is porous and will absorb water in varying amounts. A visit from the tinsel fairy in any form is not acceptable. Any dirt, oil, (as in this case the pot) paint.. anything will burn off, become ash, float to the top and be scooped out with the dirt and junk by fluxing. Many casters actually add used motor oil as a reducing agent and to speed up initial heating. The cleaner your INGOTS come out the better.. Not the lead before it's smelted. So.. Don't wash your lead and don't worry about cleaning your pot, just put the heat to it and Happy Casting! :-)

Shad

FLINTNFIRE
03-29-2013, 12:39 AM
I too do not worry about cleaning it as that is what the smelting and fluxing are great at, I have washed range scrap once did not bother after that , so you rinse it where are you dumping the rinse water , just melt it and skim and dump your waste as you do with any other waste you skim.

elginrunner
03-29-2013, 12:51 AM
I've ran a few 2x4 scraps through my planer to make my sawdust. After I get off work this morning I plan to fire it up!!

badbob454
03-29-2013, 01:28 AM
i dont worry about dirt oil or anything that wont alloy with my lead ill float and skim it off... , my sawdust if pg&e contracted tree trimmers chips from their chipper , and a little candle wax toss en in when the lead is melted set it on fire and mix thouroughly ..Oh ,,, this is my smelter i dont cast from this i usw this pot only to make ingots ..

Hammerlane
03-29-2013, 02:17 PM
FIRE IT UP... That much heat will burn off just about anything.