PDA

View Full Version : Just picked Lots of WW A Question...

orisolo
03-28-2013, 05:55 AM
I just picked lots of WW (+2800 lb to be exact).
I'm gona start working on them this weekend.

I sorted about 500 lb today and found only 15% zinc in them (and 5 pcs of FE)
I'm thinking this small amount of Zinc doesn't justify the time consuming process of sorting one by one.
I'm planning on melting them all together and then skim out the Zinc. From what i was reading as long as my temp doesn't go over 700 i should be safe from melting the zinc.

I plan to do the same for the SOWW as i could find only few pcs of zinc and none was FE to my surprise.

Question in mind:

1. Would you think this is a good plan?
2. Should i watch out of something particular so i don't mess up the lead.

Thanks for the advise.

P.s.
I attached a pic of the tri-fold bin i got them in (yes it took a truck and a pallet jack to offload these 3000 lb that thing is heavy to handle on a pallet jack and took longer then expected to get off the truck)

knifemaker
03-28-2013, 06:02 AM
Melting at or below 700 degrees and skimming off the steel clips and zinc weights will speed up the process of smelting and save you many hours of work. Just be sure to have a temperture gage to keep the smelting pot contents at 700 degrees. It is the way I did mine, but I only encountered a couple of zinc weights as most of my wheel weights had been collected about 10 years ago.

orisolo
03-28-2013, 06:06 AM
Thanks for the quick reply.

I have a temperature gauge and for sure will use it with Zinc in the mix.
I just received today beaver flux and plan to use it on the WW i wonder how it will work.

cbrick
03-28-2013, 06:19 AM
For sure separate the COWW and SOWW.

I'm probably not a good one to answer the question of not separating the zinc out just because I'm so anal about that. The largest batch I've done at once was about 800 pounds and every weight was snipped with wire cutters before going into the pot. I couldn't sleep at night if I didn't but that's just me I guess, it was a huge PITA and one of those things that once finished was worth the effort. I wasn't so sure while doing it.

Keeping the temp at or below 700 is a must regardless.

Rick

cbrick
03-28-2013, 06:23 AM
I have no idea what beaver flux is but I highly recommend using sawdust for flux. It will do everything you need from a flux.

From Ingot To Target (http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_textonly2.pdf)

Read chapter 4 and you will understand the why to and what for. Both you and the beavers will be happy.

Rick

high standard 40
03-28-2013, 08:25 AM
I would start with the weights you have already sorted and melt those first, checking the melt temp. Then you can add additional weights to the melt in small quantities and the zinc will be plainly obvious with little risk of melting the zinc. If you start with a pot full of unsorted weights and there are zinc weights at the bottom of the pot, you risk melting them as the pot comes up to full heat.

orisolo
03-28-2013, 02:14 PM
great point.
I will use the sorted WW to start up the pot and then put the rest while there is already a liquid at the bottom.
Thanks for the idea.

gutthooked
03-28-2013, 06:36 PM
nice score!! happy sorting

shadowcaster
03-28-2013, 07:14 PM
Melting at or below 700 degrees and skimming off the steel clips and zinc weights will speed up the process of smelting and save you many hours of work. Just be sure to have a temperture gage to keep the smelting pot contents at 700 degrees. It is the way I did mine, but I only encountered a couple of zinc weights as most of my wheel weights had been collected about 10 years ago.

This is what I do as well.. Also, when you are finishing up smelting for the day, on your last pot leave a 1/2 inch or so in the bottom of the pot for faster heating next time you fire it up. I also use a vented lid for heat control.

Shad

altheating
03-28-2013, 07:31 PM
That's a pretty box of WW orisolo ! I just did up 200 lbs this afternoon. I keep my pot at just a bit over 600 degrees. Add a hand full at a time let them melt and skim off the clips and the floater WW's. I find that the valve stems swell up but don't catch fire or smoke to bad at that temp. If course I'm not letting them simmer very long, just long enough to allow the WW's to melt.

Beesdad
03-28-2013, 08:26 PM
Good score... I also keep the temp. below 700 and I have never had a problem with zinc but I watch the process full time as your temps can rise quickly.

JWFilips
03-28-2013, 09:04 PM
Well Good Luck. You better keep your temps low That is a lot of good lead to waste with just a few zinc intrusions. If it were me I would be side snipping each piece..... Yeah It is slow process but it makes sure a zinc one is not at the bottom of the pile when the pile heat goes up!
Just MHO

Defcon-One
03-28-2013, 10:47 PM
I sort them all and I still catch one that I missed, every now and then!

One thing, below 700 degrees F means BELOW 700 Degrees F. It can get up over that prettty quickly and the bottom of the pot is always gonna be hotter. I'd start with a pool of good molten lead in the bottom, so you don't get a hot spot where the Zinc might melt.

Then again, I'd sort a little at a time, then look back and be proud of what I did. Then I'd melt them. I'd hate to ruin a score like that!

tg32-20
03-28-2013, 11:23 PM
I sort them all and I still catch one that I missed, every now and then!

One thing, below 700 degrees F means BELOW 700 Degrees F. It can get up over that prettty quickly and the bottom of the pot is always gonna be hotter. I'd start with a pool of good molten lead in the bottom, so you don't get a hot spot where the Zinc might melt.

Then again, I'd sort a little at a time, then look back and be proud of what I did. Then I'd melt them. I'd hate to ruin a score like that!

+1 It is a lot of work but worth the peace of mind.

220swiftfn
03-29-2013, 12:34 AM
Actually, I'd check those again, the ratio doesn't seem right to me...... And I'm pretty sure that I can spot a fair amount of non-lead weights on the top of that box too....... But that's just me......

Dan

orisolo
03-29-2013, 01:08 AM
I melted like 700 lb today.
Used only the hand sorted ones and still had 3-4 floaters.
I'm not going to sort anymore its not worth the time.
Ill just make sure the temp doesn't go over 700f.
I added pics of the COWW and some soft lead ready to go out tomorrow.
(3 lb on the dolly and 7.5 lb ingots)

orisolo
03-29-2013, 01:14 AM
Actually i got the following so far
12.6% was Zinc
out of the remaining identified as lead
15% clip and dross came out of the pot
Also 3-4 floaters weights not sure if they ware steel or zinc just tossed them with the clips.
I know this is a very good ratio it was a great purchase.
From what i read in some places people are getting 50% none lead WW

Actually, I'd check those again, the ratio doesn't seem right to me...... And I'm pretty sure that I can spot a fair amount of non-lead weights on the top of that box too....... But that's just me......

Dan

badbob454
03-29-2013, 01:23 AM
will those 7 lb ingots fit in your casting pot? ,i make some 6''x2 1/2''x1'' like a thin brick made in a c channel iron, ends tapered so they fall out, they fit nicely in my 20 lb pot .... otherwise looks awesome ...

TheGrimReaper
03-29-2013, 02:56 PM
Man, that is one good score you got!!!!!!!!!!!

shadygrady
03-29-2013, 03:32 PM
ok now get the zinc one out an send to me for lead

orisolo
03-29-2013, 10:20 PM
i sure can do that.
Already have like 100lb i should have around 450 lb when I'm done.
let me know how you like to exchange them

ok now get the zinc one out an send to me for lead

orisolo
03-29-2013, 10:22 PM
did another 500 lb today.
I think it will never end ;)
I did sold 1300# this morning so i guess ill be casting the weekend as well.

BW64
04-02-2013, 04:04 PM
Picked up 50# from Ori today(wish I had more cash available). Looks pretty good to me. We'll find out tomorrow when I melt it. Thanks again Ori & Steve! Good price & good service.

BW

orisolo
04-02-2013, 06:27 PM
BW, It was pleasure meeting you today.
Thank You for the feedback.
Happy casting.

Picked up 50# from Ori today(wish I had more cash available). Looks pretty good to me. We'll find out tomorrow when I melt it. Thanks again Ori & Steve! Good price & good service.

BW

Ajax
04-18-2013, 07:33 PM
how much a lb.

Andy

orisolo
04-18-2013, 09:18 PM
Hi,
60lb x $1.5 Shipped in MFRB = $90 MO or Check.
Paypal please add $2.70 to a total of $92.70

I have the following
COWW 300+ lb
SOWW 300+ lb
Pure Soft 60lb

Thanks
Ori