PDA

View Full Version : Handgun case ideas?

pull the trigger
03-28-2013, 03:33 AM
Looking for ideas for a way to carry guns that do not look like gun cases, you know, like the old tommy gun in the guitar case but different, I can not think of anything else but a guitar case, apparently I am not very creative. Any ideas? Thanks!

ffries61
03-28-2013, 04:04 AM
Saw a gun case for sale that was made to look like a laptop case.

wch
03-28-2013, 04:25 AM
How about: (Rifle or shotgun)a cue stick bag or box? (Handgun): a diaper bag? Or a baseball bat/ball bag? Or a pilot's Jepp bag? Or a camera bag?
The important thing is to blend in with the other folks-in other words, a pilot's Jepp bag wouldn't look right in the picnic area of a park, but a diaper bag would fit right in.

KinkBreaker
03-28-2013, 08:07 AM
this looks pretty benign

texassako
03-28-2013, 09:35 AM
Messenger bag maybe? Who would ever think a handgun was in a murse. Some of my takedown rifles fit in my smaller, overnight/dayhike, internal frame backpack.

jeepyj
03-28-2013, 10:31 AM
I Seen a sweet case the other day for a handgun. It was a day planner. I think I pulled it up on Amazon
Jeepyj

jmorris
03-28-2013, 11:18 AM
I have a hard golf club case that can hold lot of stuff, I generally use it along with soft cases for rifle/shotguns. Backpacks work fine for pistol and ammo.

357Mag
03-28-2013, 08:55 PM
Pull -

Howdy !

Howzabout using some office-type products, like folding flap paper "binders", expandable binders; or some such ?
Attache' case ?

Use an Old tymee " Zoro " or " Little house on the Prairee " metal lunch box. These days... " Jurassic Park " or " Toy Story " themed lunch boxes.

I have a nice wood box that came as a " kit "..... stuffed full of " Armor All " products. Big enough to hold probably 2 handguns, hinged lid; and deep.

A " First Aid " kit, or maybe.... a roadside distress markers kit from the auto industry ?

A small metal " strong " box w/handle, usually used to hold money ( often w/ a tumbler lock ).

Just thinking...

Regards,
357Mag

Artful
03-28-2013, 11:55 PM
A lot depends upon the weapon size and what else you want in there with it.
Cigar Boxes, tool boxes, Laptop cases - lots of stuff works - but there is a caveat . . .
- check local laws
- some have ordinances against carry of firearms in cases designed to deceive.

DLCTEX
03-29-2013, 08:37 AM
My wife's concealed carry case is an embroidered bible case with carry handles. Stiff backing helps smooth out the lumps.

Whiterabbit
03-29-2013, 06:30 PM
backpack.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-29-2013, 07:06 PM
- check local laws
- some have ordinances against carry of firearms in cases designed to deceive.

Wholly krap...really ? I learn something everyday.

Back to the OP.
I have an old plastic orange samsonite makeup/personals case, (50¢ at a garage sale...lots more on fleabay)http://compare.ebay.com/like/281084145052?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar
It holds an one or two average sized pistols and a couple of boxes of ammo.

ALSO, the average 35mm Camera bag will hold one average sized pistol and probably have side pockets for mags.

I like and use garage sale briefcases all the time...and also the DEWALT type of case as well.
Jon

DLCTEX
03-29-2013, 07:30 PM
I have a briefcase in my truck for my 1911, spare mags, and extra ammo.

Ramar
03-30-2013, 03:11 AM
I used to have a music shop and I use instrument cases for storage and transport. Sizes range from small flute for mags and trumpet and sax cases for hand guns and carbine length rifles and take downs. The violin cases also work for AK and AR. All cases are lined and padded with foam inserts and most still have working key locks. When I travel and pack the van with the armory it just looks like the local marching band coming. No "NRA" bumper stickers just music stickers.
Ramar

Artful
03-30-2013, 01:48 PM
Here's a good write up if you want to modify a Music or other case for custom fit
http://www.m1-garand-rifle.com/m1-garand-assembly/custom-case.php

If you want to go NFA - look into Any Other Weapon Cases

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vycUFoQChqY

and to check local laws - this is a good place to start
http://www.municode.com/library/#CA

anotherred
03-30-2013, 02:11 PM
I had one like this for a while. Cut foam to perfectally fit the pistol and mags.

dbosman
03-30-2013, 02:17 PM
Is the goal to protect the gun, the gunner, or to help reduce the chance of theft?
If the latter, a used diaper bag, with what looks like a bagged up dirty diaper in the side pocket, in a car with a clean (well used) car seat should work well.

epanzella
03-30-2013, 03:37 PM
Before retiring from our family construction business, we used to keep items away from prying eyes by putting them in a piece of 6 inch PVC pipe with end caps. It blended right in with the other pipes and tools in the truck.

Artful
03-30-2013, 03:38 PM
Is the goal to protect the gun, the gunner, or to help reduce the chance of theft?
If the latter, a used diaper bag, with what looks like a bagged up dirty diaper in the side pocket, in a car with a clean (well used) car seat should work well.

LOL - it would deter any unmarried crooks :veryconfu

pipehand
03-30-2013, 05:47 PM
I go with the "Grey Man" approach. My range bag for pistol matches is a small Gatemouth toolbag available at all the big box hardware stores. It holds what I need, and doesn't scream "GUN INSIDE!"

dbosman
03-31-2013, 12:06 AM
Tool bags full of tools are easier to pawn than guns.
Keep a Doberman in the vehicle and chance of theft goes way down.

Gar
03-31-2013, 10:56 AM
A flexible over the shoulder cooler bag, the type that with hold one six pack works well for handguns.

TCLouis
03-31-2013, 02:07 PM
Is it just me or does tool or camera container just scream "STEAL ME" when left unattended in the car.

Did not realize until the other day how much my Uncle Mikes Holster Briefcase looks like a laptop case.

Attractive nuisance value unintended.

Artful
03-31-2013, 03:47 PM
To a thief all items left unattended in a car scream steal me. Best to have case out of sight - covered in dirty clothes will work but I've sort of grooving on the diaper deterrent value. :lol:

pull the trigger
04-01-2013, 09:38 PM
I forgot I do have a pair of steiner binoculars in a tasco bag to make it look cheep.