PDA

View Full Version : Re-line a barrel???

abunaitoo
03-27-2013, 04:07 PM
What would be the cost to re-line a barrel????
Have a few old Mausers that have bad barrels.
Some have almost no rifling left.
Some worn and pitted so bad even cast boolets won't shoot good.
Most not worth much. Just want to give them a second life.

Is there someplace that I can find out how I could do it????
I've got a lathe.

John Taylor
03-27-2013, 09:14 PM
I don't know of any liners in 8MM. There is a liner for 7MM and 9MM from T.J.'s. You will need a piloted drill available from Pacific Tool and Gauge and the proper chamber reamer. You might be better off going with a new barrel. Midway has several to choose from that are short chambered and threaded for the large ring 98 and some for the smaller 93,94,95 and 96. These barrels cost less then a liner.

Frank46
03-28-2013, 12:29 AM
I was always under the impression that liners were for low powered pistol and some rifle cartridges like 32-40.38-55, and some 45-70. Reboring is where they literally drill out the old bore, ream it and then rifle it. Like 8mm mauser to 9mm mauser or 9.5mm mauser. Frank

KCSO
03-28-2013, 09:40 AM
More than the cost of a new barrel. Remember a highpower liner must be stepped and then because of the pressure they may eventully crack in the thin bore section.

abunaitoo
03-28-2013, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the info.
Probably not worth the cost.

Nobade
03-28-2013, 08:36 PM
Much better to rebore it if you want to keep the original sights. 9X57 or 9.3X57 are very useful cartridges. Clearwater Reboring does fantastic work.

-Nobade

country gent
03-28-2013, 10:18 PM
Where a liner shines is barrels that have intricate machining involved Tricky extractor cuts alot of "timing" involved or odd threads. I installed a couple .22 liners for Bosses at work. These were drilled a light slip fit and epoxied in place. Made all the tooling up in house. While they came out very useable they werent really super acurate match grade either. But they did give new life to an old firearm. For the mausers in normall condition that arnt anything special I would probably screw in an Adams and Bennet or a Pre fit barrel and go from there. Another option is there are some that will rebore and rifle a exisiting barrel. But then you end up with a wildcat round. A 7mm fould be reworked to 8mm depending on barrel contour. We have a old 94 that at some time in its life was rebored to 32 wcf from 30 wcf. Used to be really popular with the muzzleloaders before they were considered primitive weapons.

MBTcustom
03-29-2013, 05:54 PM
Adams and Bennett are no more. It was good while it lasted. There's still Shilen and and McGowen for cheap barrels under $200.
Barrel liners are like helicoil thread inserts. They only make sense when there is no other option IMHO. Find your local gunsmith and make friends with him. A case of brew and a box of ammo goes a long way sometimes.

TCLouis
03-29-2013, 07:32 PM
This started 8mm, but I am curious about 22.

My HWZ 29 that I asked about (in the Rimfire section)has a bad spot in the middle of the barrel so I would love to get it relined.

It does have decent accuracy now though.

Can I drill and line or get a liner installed in 22 LR that will do me proud, or just so so 22 accuracy.

It is less that minute of squirrel head now, but I can't help but believe that the oversized section (2.5 - 3")is costing me some velocity and maybe some velocity. It is oversized enough that I can feel it with tight patch.

John Taylor
03-29-2013, 08:03 PM
Green Mountain is making barrels for the Mauser and selling them through Midway at under $100, threaded and short chambered just like the Adams and Bennett barrels.
There are several liners out there for 22s but the only one I could get to shoot good was from T.J.'s which is hammer forged.

TCLouis
03-29-2013, 10:58 PM
TJ's??

Nobade
03-30-2013, 08:15 AM
T.J.'s Gateway Enterprises, Inc.
3652 Neltner Road
Alexandria, KY 41001
Phone/Fax (859) 635-5560

-Nobade