PDA

View Full Version : The case of Jim Vs. Rust

Jim
08-23-2007, 09:27 PM
Hear Ye, hear ye, hear ye! This court is now in session, the Honorable 45Nut presiding.
This is the case of Jim, AKA gun owner, versus the chemical reaction of oxidation, AKA rust.
In a coupla' weeks, I'll be bringing home a blue steel auto pistol. I'll be carrying it regularly and it will be subject to the attacks of the elements that promote rust. The guy behind the counter at Sportsman's Warehouse said Breakfree is the cat's pajamas for keeping rust at bay. What say ye?

First witness, please.

I love Cast Boolits!:-D

shooter575
08-23-2007, 09:40 PM
I have had good luck with Sheath or Baracade whatever they changed the name to.

krag35
08-23-2007, 09:53 PM
RIG and only RIG so help me God

Whitespider
08-23-2007, 10:16 PM
I own very few stainless guns or knives, give me good old carbon steel any day.

When it comes to metal preservation, I’ve tried just about all of ‘em. Every one of ‘em failed at some point, including Rig. I finally found what I was lookin’ for, Pro-Gold Lubricant from Pro-Shot Products! This stuff is about twice as “thick” as RIG, its consistency is about like peanut butter. It stays where ya’ put it, won’t rub off. An ultra-thin coat on metal is all ya’ need. Works great as a lubricant on inner workings also.

Paladin 56
08-24-2007, 12:21 AM
TetraGun, inside and out.

Read and follow directions. Everything else is a cheap imitation.

David

45nut
08-24-2007, 01:05 AM
Depending on the honor and or heritage of the arm, for carry purposes I might consider Duracoating or such. Barring that, frequent assessment of the condition and treatment is prudent.
I happen to like Breakfree for cleaning and such but it does have a distinct odor that may "print" on a CCW type arm.

RIG is a time proven choice for long term storage,, not sure about it's properties for duty type uses myself.

Next option is wax,, a generous and oft applied coating of a high quality wax would seem effective in principle.

Next!

BD
08-24-2007, 06:28 AM
Wear something between the gun and your skin. Then just carry it, shoot it plenty and clean it occasionally with any decent oil. It will be fine. You're gonna need to blow off the lint and wipe it down at least weekly in any event if you carry it daily. I've never had a gun rust from daily carry. It's the ones you don't see daily that get the rust.
BD

quack1
08-24-2007, 07:30 AM
My vote goes to wiping it down with an oily rag(I use a piece of wool cloth) every evening and after every shooting session. I don't own any stainless guns and never have, so a wipedown after use is pretty much automatic for me. All my guns are rust free. That said, there are some guns that will rust almost instantly. Don't know if it is the steel or the bluing. I have an old 870 Rem that I use for ducks and on a rainy or even just foggy day I could just about see the rust forming. Finally sand blasted and then blued it and now it doesn't rust. My guess is the tiny pits caused by the sandblasting hold more oil than the original bluing. A good wipedown after each hunt and it looks good.
My second vote goes to a good coat of wax. Works very well but needs to be reapplied now and then.

SharpsShooter
08-24-2007, 08:04 AM
Next option is wax,, a generous and oft applied coating of a high quality wax would seem effective in principle.

Next!

My vote goes to wiping it down with an oily rag(I use a piece of wool cloth) every evening and after every shooting session.

I have used Turtle wax on my 1911 for a long time for external protection and WD40 for the internals. Daily wiping down served very well before I ran across that car wax trick.

SS

eka
08-24-2007, 10:29 AM
Like BD said, I try not to carry my Dick Special directly against my skin, unless it's for a very short time. I wear an inside the waistband holster and put a T-shirt between my skin and the gun. I've even used a bandana folded up. I wipe the revolver down after carrying it with a gun cloth. I also had good luck with the Tetra products. I carry left handed and the only problem I have had is with the grip screw. It rusted despite my best efforts with oil, grease, and everything else I could think of. I'll probably just get a stainless screw one of these days. And don't get too concerned about holster wear. To me there is something attractive about a well cared for handgun that's traveled a many a mile.

Keith