PDA

View Full Version : Would you have done the same?

jeepyj
03-27-2013, 10:50 AM
I was a bit ticked off today. But I really wonder how many of you would have done the same...
I end up on a errand last evening to the mall (In which I generally stay quite clear of) so on the way out I detour through the Dick's Sporting Goods store and ask the nice guy at the ammo counter if they had any 22LRs he promptly said no but there was a load coming in the morning if I wanted to come in at opening. Well I bite they open at 9:00 am so I arrive at ten till to find a line of about 10 other folks doing the same. We all chatted a bit and at about five after 9:00 they open up. We all head to the same direction looking for various ammo like 9mm, 40, and 22s. I was allowed one box of 22s. The box contained ten boxes of fifty or 500 rounds. I proceeded to the checkout counter as most of the others had done the same. The first gentleman's box wouldn't scan so the wait began. We waited a 15 minutes or so while the checkout lady kept checking on her radio then next thing she starts to open the boxes up and says the we are not allowed to buy the whole thing we can only buy three boxes of fifty. Well you can imagine a bunch of burly sportsman were a bit agitated so the manager overrides the 3 box rule and says we can buy ten boxes but not at the regular brick price only at the $4.99 per box price. In other words instead of the normal $21.00 price it was $50.00
The guy in the front says that isn't bad. I turn around to a guy behind me that was whining about not being able to get any RF and handed my box to him and said here you go because I am not paying that kind of money for RF ammo.
The question is would you have forked up the fifty??
Jeepyj

Jon
03-27-2013, 11:03 AM
I wouldn't have paid it either. Keep an eye out at walmart in the morning. They have 22lr trickling in.

Love Life
03-27-2013, 11:05 AM
I would not have paid that unless I truly needed it.

wallenba
03-27-2013, 11:07 AM
No. If retailers and manufacturers discover that buyers will pay that. It could become the new normal. Shortage or not. Just what OPEC did in the mid seventies.

DxieLandMan
03-27-2013, 11:08 AM
I would not have paid either. I also stay clear of Dick's because of a hassle I had there before.

Doc_Stihl
03-27-2013, 11:08 AM
No way I would have paid that.

RayinNH
03-27-2013, 11:09 AM
I'd have done the same. At a dime a round I can shoot a center fire with a cast boolit. If people stopped paying those ridiculous prices it would come down...Ray

jcwit
03-27-2013, 11:10 AM
In a word, NO!

I may not be quick, but I'm not stupid.

FLINTNFIRE
03-27-2013, 11:15 AM
I think you were right , am not going to buy at the panic prices , would rather shoot a cast boolit , they raised the prices at the last panic and it never went back to a more realistic price , but then maybe I am stuck in the past .

Trey45
03-27-2013, 11:20 AM
Not only no, but I am keeping a list of retailers who are gouging customers and will remind them via email and phone calls when this latest ammo scare is over why I am still not buying from them.

km101
03-27-2013, 11:21 AM
No! And I would have taken the time to hunt up the manager and tell him what I thought of the predatory pricing!

Whiterabbit
03-27-2013, 11:21 AM
The question is would you have forked up the fifty??
Jeepyj

You were right BUT.

Yes I would have paid IF that was the advertised price AND I were willing to pay that ahead of time. By giving it to you for $21 then charging $50 at checkout, that was wrong of them, and you were right to not buy. I also would have given the box back. Breech of contract on THEIR part. You already were playing by their rules when they would only sell you 500 rounds. They did not honor pre-agreed upon conditions.

That's called bait-and-switch.

Wayne Smith
03-27-2013, 11:27 AM
"That's called bait-and-switch." And that's illegal in all states.

jeepyj
03-27-2013, 11:28 AM
I think you were right , am not going to buy at the panic prices , would rather shoot a cast boolit , they raised the prices at the last panic and it never went back to a more realistic price , but then maybe I am stuck in the past .
That was a big part of my thoughts.... Lets see i can shoot my 9 of 38spl for.07 or.08 cents with the satisfaction of shooting my own creations or shoot a 22lr for a dime a pop. Don't get me wrong I do really like to shoot my pin driver but when it cost more than my center fire is where I have to draw the line.
Tim

OutHuntn84
03-27-2013, 11:32 AM
Not in this lifetime

Case Stuffer
03-27-2013, 11:34 AM
One of my local sources for primers is getting $20 per K for Tulas ,$40 for Federals and some CCI s and $50 for other CCIs.

They have at times 525 bulk .22LR for $50. I purchase primers from them but to date have not purchased any .22 but they sell out everytime they get a small shipment in. They really do not care to even carry .22 and only do it as a service for their customers. I was there yesterday and they had 3 boxs left and really had no idea when they would get any more or how much.

I have stoped shooting my .22s period. I still have CCI stingers I paid $2.29 per 50 for and most of a Federal 550 LR bulk box I purchased for arond $8 I believ around six years ago. We may see .22 LR promo ammo at less than five cents around again but I have my doubts. I never would have thought that I would be willing to pay five cents a piece for primers but now I am glad to get them for that.

Harter66
03-27-2013, 11:34 AM
I have trouble swollowing 19-20 for a bulk pack.

I dont shoot much RF so the 4-5 bulk packs I've put back will only hold me 5 years or so.

TES
03-27-2013, 11:35 AM
I wish there was an easy way to make lead styphenate. One could get rich right now if they had the proper stuff in place.

DHurtig
03-27-2013, 11:36 AM
After I had finished telling the manager about my feelings about their underhanded tactics, I would contact the corporate office. I would then let them know why I would not be doing business there in the future and that I would be letting every one I know about these practices. Dale

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-27-2013, 11:42 AM
nope !!!

300winmag
03-27-2013, 11:45 AM
Not a chance!!! Even 23.99 for the milk carton of 22rf value pack my A&&.

Jim
03-27-2013, 11:47 AM
Just one more reason why I do my best to keep my money in my community.

A week or so back, Harold called to tell me he got some 325 round bulk boxes of 22 in and wanted to know did I want any. Right off the rip, that's a good reason to deal with a 'Mom & Pop' shop. I went out to pick 'em up yesterday and visit for a bit. $21, after tax, for 325 rounds breaks down to $3.23 a 50 box.

Yeah, that might be a bit high, but the way I see it, nobody else is gonna take the time to think of me and call me to tell me they got ammo in and put it aside for me. Besides, the little bit of profit Harold and Miss Jeanette are makin' goes to puttin' food on their table an' payin' the light bill.

Higher than the box stores or not, they're my neighbors and my money is goin' in their pocket. Onliest reason I would spend my money somewhere else is 'cause I GOT to have it an' Miss Jeanette can't get it. In the four years I've been dealin' with them, that ain't happened yet.

Charlie Two Tracks
03-27-2013, 11:48 AM
I bet the line didn't clear out much. It was not right for them to do it, but it seems they got away with it. I would contact corporate and explain my displeasure with the way they did business.

Echo
03-27-2013, 11:52 AM
after i had finished telling the manager about my feelings about their underhanded tactics, i would contact the corporate office. I would then let them know why i would not be doing business there in the future and that i would be letting every one i know about these practices. Dale
a big plus 1!

Love Life
03-27-2013, 11:54 AM
I have the same thing going on with my LGS, Jim. I gave them a list of firearms I am looking for, and they call me if/when they come in. That is how I got my daughter's pink Crickett rifle and a 500 box of Eley 22 LR for under $200 out the door. Good people.

Still no sweet Colt SAA's though. You would think that a firearm that has been in production since the late 1800's would be easier to come across...

03-27-2013, 12:09 PM
The store's actions was wrong, and in California, they would have had to honor the original price, as bait-and-switch is illegal.

I, too, would have asked to speak to the store manager, explaning the illegality of his decision, and that I'd be sending an e-mail to the corporate office, that included his name and store number, as soon as I returned home.

searcher4851
03-27-2013, 12:25 PM
I think you did the right thing.
I see no point in feeding the frenzy. If I run out of rimfire, I'll be shootin my reloads more, that's all.

jeepyj
03-27-2013, 12:29 PM
Just one more reason why I do my best to keep my money in my community.

A week or so back, Harold called to tell me he got some 325 round bulk boxes of 22 in and wanted to know did I want any. Right off the rip, that's a good reason to deal with a 'Mom & Pop' shop. I went out to pick 'em up yesterday and visit for a bit. $21, after tax, for 325 rounds breaks down to $3.23 a 50 box.

Yeah, that might be a bit high, but the way I see it, nobody else is gonna take the time to think of me and call me to tell me they got ammo in and put it aside for me. Besides, the little bit of profit Harold and Miss Jeanette are makin' goes to puttin' food on their table an' payin' the light bill.

Higher than the box stores or not, they're my neighbors and my money is goin' in their pocket. Onliest reason I would spend my money somewhere else is 'cause I GOT to have it an' Miss Jeanette can't get it. In the four years I've been dealin' with them, that ain't happened yet.As a former owner of a General store for over 12.5 years I whole heartily agree with supporting my mom and pop stores. On a regular basis the wife and i take a ride and always hit one or two for a bottle of pop or ice cream sandwich most often just remembering back to our experiences and supporting the backbone of our community . This was a far different situation these guys were going nuts and were for the most part excited to purchase at these inflated prices. I just couldn't follow the suit.
Jeepyj

dragon813gt
03-27-2013, 12:33 PM
Bait and switch. I would have called the better business bureau and reported it. I would have also gotten the manger's name and called their corporate offices to report this illegal act. There is no way I'd pay that much. I'm glad I was buying a brick a week last year. I will be sure to keep up this practice when stock starts coming back in.

dudits
03-27-2013, 01:00 PM
i have a friend that works at the local dicks.
when the company declared they would not sell .223 ammo my friend was told to go clear the shelves of it, and to check storage for any
that may be laying around.
the boss man let each employee interested purchase 1 box.
he then took the remaining 3k rounds home and slowly put them online and made a small fortune.

here they consider a box to be 50 rounds unless it is a bulk package with loose ammo.
if it is the box of 50 packs they put them on the shelf as bait. when brought to the counter the bar code is denied and the customer told that the bulk box was meant to be opened and seperated.

i would have done the same thing as far as leaving the ammo.
go to walmart or farm and fleet often. if ya see it buy it. if the SHTF 22lr is not something i would want to be without

Jim
03-27-2013, 01:25 PM
.....the boss man let each employee interested purchase 1 box.
he then took the remaining 3k rounds home and slowly put them online and made a small fortune.....

That's interesting. As receiving and sales inventories are all computer tracked now, I wonder how he accounted for the sudden disappearance of 3K rounds of ammunition.

TheGrimReaper
03-27-2013, 02:35 PM
I would have done the same thing that you just did!!!

edler7
03-27-2013, 03:09 PM
Not without dinner first, and a goodnight kiss.

dudits
03-27-2013, 03:36 PM
due to the fact that i do not work there i could not tell ya Jim. i could ask my friend if it would be of interest, he may know.
however i believe that corporate would not really care as there is only one motivation for the big wigs.

Swamp Man
03-27-2013, 04:07 PM
I would have bought them but they would have sold them to me at the price on the brick. If they had the bricks priced they couldn't refuse to sell them at the price marked on the brick. That's the law here if it's priced on the item they can't change it at the register. They shouldn't have priced the bricks if they didn't want to sell the bricks as a single unit.

Johnch
03-27-2013, 05:39 PM
One loacal place was or is charging $10.99 PER 50 round bow of Winchester Wildcat ammo
With a 2 box limmit

Some other places are trying $4.99 -$6.99 a 50 rnd box

I told all of them to go to Blank and walked out

John

Taylor
03-27-2013, 06:56 PM
The manager was wrong,I'm with you,

MtGun44
03-27-2013, 07:46 PM
NO! I have a good friend, and good gun guy that works part time at Dicks, really ticks him
off how bad they treat customers. Give him a hard time if he tries to mount a scope properly, etc.

Bill

w0fms
03-27-2013, 07:55 PM
I stopped going there as soon as they pulled the AR's off the shelves. They can take their overpriced Nikes and shove them horizontally. However a few days before Sandy Hook they had .223 on sale for $6/bx.. so if it weren't for that I would have been hosed on .223 and .223 brass... ;)

hiram1
03-27-2013, 08:26 PM
no way NO WAY

bayjoe
03-27-2013, 08:47 PM
No Way !!!!!!

hithard
03-27-2013, 09:53 PM
Who is this Dick guy? Sounds like he named his store more than apropriatly!

dbosman
03-27-2013, 10:15 PM
In Michigan if the shelf was labeled and they tried to jack the price at the register, I'd ask them to call the police for me.
We used to have price the item or the shelf. Now they don't have to do either, but -if- the shelf is labeled, the store has to honor that price.

EMC45
03-28-2013, 09:35 AM
Recently bought Federal "Auto Match" 325 count at my local Wal Mart for $14.87. They had 4 of them. I bought 1.

Swamp Man
03-28-2013, 09:54 AM
Recently bought Federal "Auto Match" 325 count at my local Wal Mart for $14.87. They had 4 of them. I bought 1.I bought the same 325 count pack this morning at 14.87 they had 10 I got one for my younger brother who has been wanting some of my stashed 22lr's. I refused to let him have my Stinger I have stored so I picked these up for him.

P.K.
03-28-2013, 10:06 AM
Richard's lost my coin a long time ago. The bit with dropping MSR's(Mod. Sporting Rifles) from their inventory sealed the coffin on them for me.

dakotashooter2
03-28-2013, 10:34 AM
No.... and I would have gone one step further and dumped every single round on the floor in a trail all the way back to the ammo shelf........................ In protest.............

Dorf
03-28-2013, 01:00 PM
OOOOOooHHhh! You're MEAN! (But a very cool idea just the same! ) :-)

firefly1957
03-28-2013, 07:54 PM
NO! $50 is way to high and he was marking it up from the box price i would call the corporation and ask if they want to lose customers or a manager.

Para82
03-28-2013, 08:16 PM
NO absolutely not. I would have left them on the counter and walked out .However It would have never happened to me since I have not been in a Dick's store since they quit selling AR's. The company is appropriately named .
Para82

10-x
03-29-2013, 09:18 AM
Dick's is off my list anyway.....remember they pulled their "Black Rifles" and other semi-autos after the Newtown shooting.

shdwlkr
03-29-2013, 09:56 AM
try buying a box of CCI Quiet 22's and see what they want you to pay. I have seen it as high as $20 for one 50 round box. Sure glad I bought a nice amount when I found them. I have someone in the extended family that has very sensitive hearing so they don't shoot much. The Quiets will allow that person to have some fun like the rest of the family.

I have not seen any 22 lr on the shelves in so long I just might stumble if I find some on the shelves one day again.

starmac
03-29-2013, 11:51 AM
I wouldn't have darkened a Dicks doorway to begin with, even if they had the very last of the rimfire ammo.