PDA

View Full Version : Problem with 6 cav MP mold

hunter74
03-27-2013, 09:43 AM
Hi experienced casters…..this would be the right place to seek advice I guess.

Some weeks ago I purchased an 9mm MP mold from a fellow on another forum. It was a 6 cavity MP 140 gr FB mold in aluminum, and he had never used it, so it was brand new in the original wrapping. I have heard nothing but good things about these molds so my first casting session was quite a surprise. One of the cavities was quite stubborn and would not release the boolit without a serious beating to the hinge. A lot more than I’m comfortable with a quality mold like this. I tried with several different temps on the lead and on the blocks, with the same result. On all the other cavities the boolits almost jumped out so I inspected the mould more closely and quit the casting session to do this thorough. The boolits from the problem cavity all had a dent near the base on one side. I’m quite sure this is the problem, and the boolit is “hanging” on an imperfection on the edge of the cavity. A closer look revealed burrs and tooling marks on the top, when the blocks were closed and it clearly was a big dent on top of the cavity causing the dent in the boolit. It looks like a small piece of the edge of the cavity to one side is missing. I doesn't look like this have happened during shipping. Looks like tooling marks and a "bad cavity".

Now that the cause of the problem was revealed, I had to try something to fix it. I used a rondell and a cleaning paste like JB to polish the rough edges of the cavity. I have tried this several times but the result is always the same. The boolit is clinging to the cavity and requires a beating to release. If I had purchased the mold new from MP Molds I would have returned it.

It casts a big pile of boolits fast so it sure would be grate if this was sorted out. Can you give me a good advice regarding this matter? The cause of the problem is clearly a bad cavity but I’m afraid of doing it wrong so I would ruin the mold. I have read about "Lee menting" but I am not comfortable by doing this myself with a quality mold like this. That was actually the reason for buying a quality mold, to not perform these "repairing tasks", if you know what I mean.
Thank you!

Oh... by the way. I attached some photos of the problem cavity, if I understand how :) The problem cavity is the second from the left6553065531.

Springfield
03-27-2013, 10:30 AM
If yo are talking about the right parting line area of the top of the cavity, try peening it back into place with a brass punch. Clean up any extra alumunum in the cavity with a sharp pocket knife. And then buy some Bullplate, looks like you need some. The Bullplate will help keep the lead from going into the left over dented area.

hunter74
03-27-2013, 11:44 AM
Thanks, I'll try that. I have the bottle that came with the mold. Is that Bullplate or similar? In my first casting session I was much more generous with lubrication. That resultet in several hundred of wrinkled boolits, so after that I've cut back on the lubrication. That must have been lube in the cavities. :)