PDA

View Full Version : +1 for Sharp Shooter USA molds

twofocused
03-26-2013, 11:28 PM
Hello everyone as you can see I'm a newbie to this site but, I have been lurking quite a bit and reading everything I can.

A few weeks ago a buddy and I rounded up every wheel weight local shops would sell us and decided to start casting. Now I've never cast so this was truly a new adventure.

I was pleasantly surprised that Sharp Shooters USA was quick and easy to deal with. They told me it would be 2 weeks and on the money it was 2 weeks.

Today I cast for the first time. Not near as hard as I thought and I turned out 11.5 pounds of .31 cal buckshot.

Thanks to everyone and I promise I'm sticking around, this is kinda addicting.

Oh those frickin molds have to be blazing hot to produce good shot. I mean WOW hot.

Thanks, Jason

220swiftfn
03-27-2013, 02:17 AM
Hello everyone as you can see I'm a newbie to this site but, I have been lurking quite a bit and reading everything I can.

A few weeks ago a buddy and I rounded up every wheel weight local shops would sell us and decided to start casting. Now I've never cast so this was truly a new adventure.

I was pleasantly surprised that Sharp Shooters USA was quick and easy to deal with. They told me it would be 2 weeks and on the money it was 2 weeks.

Today I cast for the first time. Not near as hard as I thought and I turned out 11.5 pounds of .31 cal buckshot.

Thanks to everyone and I promise I'm sticking around, this is kinda addicting.

Oh those frickin molds have to be blazing hot to produce good shot. I mean WOW hot.

Thanks, Jason

Yes, they DO need to run hot, I usually cast 5 or 6 "ingots" in the sides first to bring those molds up to temp quick. Most here replace the wood with some longer lumber for ease of use.

Dan

John in WI
03-27-2013, 06:21 PM
They are good moulds--but as you say, you need to run them hot. Like Dan said--you'll probably want to make some extra-long handles to keep from roasting your hands off with it!

Nix
03-30-2013, 10:43 AM
Huge fan of the Sharpshooter series; but two words: Thick. Gloves.

Newtire
04-06-2013, 04:31 PM
Good tip on warming up the mould by pouring lead into the outside. I had given up on mine but guess I gave up too early. Thanks!

littlejack
04-06-2013, 07:58 PM
twofocused:
Welcome to the CastBoolits.
Jack

frkelly74
04-06-2013, 08:14 PM
I am a firm believer in The OVE-GLOVE . wearing them, you can catch molten lead in your palm and suffer no ill effects. Not that you should do this of course, but they are good and will keep you from burning yourself. Welcome!