PDA

View Full Version : Grandsons first rifle

country gent
03-26-2013, 10:45 AM
My first grandson is 16 months old now and I have purchased his first rifle for him, A really clean Stevens Favorite single shot .22 rimfire. My gunsmith and I are going to mount a 17A lyman globe and a tang sight by pendersoli up on it here shortly. :smile: Make it look like a little sharps or shutzen rifle. I had it out last fall and does the little thing shot well for notch rear and blade front. It small light and as close to perfect for a kid as possible to learn with. My daughter is excited to see him with grandpa. This summer we will be hitting the farm ponds for bluegills the rifle will have to wait for a few years. LOL. Time to start making those memories all over again.

freebullet
03-26-2013, 06:48 PM
Lucky kid...you may be able to find ammo for it before he is ready. Planning that far out is probly a smart plan the way things are going. I still don't understand why there is no picture for us to see.

country gent
03-26-2013, 06:59 PM
Theres still a couple cases ( 5000 rds) of cmp ammo in the loading room. Left over from when they were selling it for 90.00 a case. Showing my age there. But it shoots good nothing fancy just a good low grade target ammo. Ive heard it was federal 711 and in my guns it shoots same point of impact across the various ranges. Im not sure How to post pics Ill have to get the daughter to help with that one.

tacklebury
03-26-2013, 10:12 PM
That's a great starter gun for a kid. My wife loves mine and shoots it more than I do these days. ;)

Cane_man
04-05-2013, 05:17 PM
that kid is dang lucky to have a grandpa like you! gun spoiled and he isn't even two :lol:

pressonregardless
04-05-2013, 06:40 PM
More kids should have Grandfather's like you !!

nagantguy
04-05-2013, 07:05 PM
My best friend that I served with in the U.S.M.C got a favorite for his daughter's first rifle. Mine got a tricked out 10/22. The favorite is the clear winner in the "class" factor and it shoots really well. I am very envious of her and your grandson. May you spend many happy days afield with each other.

CAVEMTNMAN
04-07-2013, 05:35 PM
My grandson was bron on the Dec 19,2009 and for his first Christmas' I gave him a new in the box, never fired Remington 541S. I told my son that when my grandson gets a little older, I will give him one that he can shoot.

gnoahhh
04-12-2013, 09:34 AM
You lucky guys. I'm 60 yrs. old now, and never had children, so I missed out on teaching my kids to shoot, and buying first guns for grand kids. My sisters had mostly girls who showed zero interest in shooting, but the two lone nephews in my family do. Sadly, they live far away and are knee deep in starting their careers leaving little time to hunt or shoot (one just recently earned his USN wings and is flying an FA-18).

I make up for missing that by occasionally singling out a deserving kid (usually with an understanding father who doesn't mind his kid learning to shoot, but can't be bothered himself) and gifting him with a .22 single shot and a few boxes of ammo to get him started. I've done three like that so far.

The thing with doing that is that places to shoot are scarce around here, so sometimes it can become an exercise in frustration for the kid, so committing to taking him to the range frequently becomes a part of the gift. (Oh for the days of my youth when I crammed my pockets full of .22 ammo, slung my rifle over the handle bars of my bike, and pedaled out to the town dump for an afternoon of plinking and rat killing! If a kid did that today, the SWAT team would be called out.)

I'll Make Mine
04-13-2013, 05:39 PM
(Oh for the days of my youth when I crammed my pockets full of .22 ammo, slung my rifle over the handle bars of my bike, and pedaled out to the town dump for an afternoon of plinking and rat killing! If a kid did that today, the SWAT team would be called out.)

Nah, the FBI would be called in first -- he'd be pedaling to another state, if your garbage goes where a lot of other stuff from the Baltimore/DC area does. :veryconfu

shooterg
04-19-2013, 12:14 PM
Only have 1 grandson - so he gets ALL the guns. Do give all the nephews/great nephews a .22 early on. Next to latest great nephew here with his Crickett- 2 months old ! Latest is a year old now, but I haven't seen him yet(nephew lives away a bit) but he has a Savage Cub waiting.
"Adopting" young shooter(s) as more than one of the guys here has done is simply great. I have acreage to shoot on, but all the neighbor kids have grown and gone.

country gent
04-22-2013, 10:08 PM
I go to the club I belong to and coached Juniors for many years which was a great enjoyment for me. I worked with the small bore juniors and Junior High Power shooters alot. With my children it was mandatory they learned to shoot enough to be safe handlig firearms after that it was up to them if they wanted to continue. Ever see how fast a wife and 3 kids with a couple 10-22 tricked out can burn up a brick of 22s. Each had 2 10 round clips when they were empty it was the nexts turn. Then they figured out to laod mags while the other was shooting. LOL I myself perfer the one well aimed shot of the single shot.
Coaching a junior into an all time high score was more rewarding to me than shooting one myself.

johnson1942
04-24-2013, 12:05 AM
i to gave my youngest son a stevens favorite when he was born or their abouts. he is now 13 and has made our tom cats happy alot because they love rabbits. the only thing that i changed on it was i put a custom marlin ghost ring sight on it. it has also shot a large number of prairie dogs untill they poisoned the town. my boy and i got good at kentucky windage and hitting the dogs out to 200 yards. have all the fun you can with him, they grow up quick. now he would like a 10/22 and that may be ok but their is no .22 rimfires to be found anywhere around here. i better save what little i have left for coons and skunks that come up on the deck. speaking of blue gills, headed up to northern minn. in july and thats what we will be fishing.

gmsharps
04-24-2013, 02:28 AM
I gave my grand daughter a Red Rider to start with and I found a good Win 67 boys rifle when she was small and when she was able to pull the cocking bolt she got the rifle. I bought her a Ruger10/22 a couple of years ago and 4000 rds of 22 ammo when the prices were good. Shes coming to Texas from Alaska this coming Christmas and I will be returning for R&R during that time also and she has expressed an interest that we go Pig and Deer hunting together.

gmsharps

pietro
04-24-2013, 10:48 AM
I gave my 1st Grandson a Chipmunk Rifle when he was a youngster (He's 22 y.o. now), then a 10/22 one Christmas when a teenager; but now have a 2nd Grandson, for whom I've bought one of the new T/C Hot Shot single-shot's - the somewhat different Boy Scout version, which let some $$$ from it's purchase price go to Scouting ( Since I was a Boy Scout, once upon a time ).

Both of my Daughter's (the Grandson's Moms) were good with the gifts, as were my Sons-in-law - which shows that a family that plays together, stays together. ;)

JackQuest
05-02-2013, 10:16 AM
My grandson turned 9 last week. I am refurbishing a well cared for Stevens Favorite 1915 in .32 rimfire to .17 HMR. Going to shorten the barrel and put a liner in it, cold blue it and shorten the stock. Someone started restocking it, never finished, and destroyed any real "antique" value.

Had so much fun building my 7/8ths scale Low Walls in .17 HMR that this seemed a perfect add-on project. Have the reamer, access to a lathe, just made sense. I'm now designing a 3 lug locking sleeve to be press-fitted (with Locktite green) into the receiver, turn/shorten the barrel and machine 3 lugs into it so it twist-locks in place, then uses the existing take-down screw to hold the barrel from rotating out of the locked position. Should be quite a bit stronger than just using the screw alone against breech pressure.

Every kid needs a sweet little rifle adaptable to their current environment. I intend to make a second stock for the grown man he will become, with maple or walnut (or myrtle) - really curly and full of grain and highlights.

It's what grandfather's are supposed to do!

JackQuest
06-22-2013, 04:28 PM
Bump -
My 17 HMR in custom designed 7/8 scale Low Wall action & SS barrel on top.

Below - grandson's in-progress Stevens Favorite, sleeved 32 cal barrel, chambered to same 17 HMR, butt stock cut down for a 9 year old, new fore end still being shaped. Barrel shortened to 19 inches so the weapon can be stored in a Samsonite briefcase.

Abandoned the 3 lug idea; not enough room to get it to work.

starmac
06-24-2013, 03:29 AM
I came in while ago with another rifle, the wife asked if I even had any idea how many I owned when I walked in with it. lol
I mentioned to her that she could have an auction when I am gone, but she said I had a son that would be thinking he would get them all. lol
I told her that was not happening as I already had my grandsons guns (his son) for him, and a couple that were going to my son in law. She reminded me that I should write it down who was to get what. lol My 2 year old grandson has a (chipmunk) that my kids started with to get him started, but also my old virginia dragoon 44, a 340 savage 30/30, an old savage model 6a 22 semi auto, a single barrel stevens 12 guage and a 338 mag. None of these cost me a lot, but for 2 years old he has a pretty good start. lol

w5pv
06-24-2013, 10:58 AM
My first gun was a single shot Stevens and a 16 gage single shot Stevens shot gun.Both disappeared durning my years in the army in the early sixties.I don't remember if dad had to sign for me to get them or not.Sure killed a lot of squirrels,rabbits and ducks with them.I was around nine to ten years old.Alot different now days they would want to put everyone in jail now days if they saw a young boy with a gun.We were taught the proper way to handle weapons and my brothers,friends that hunted with us never got into any trouble with the firearms,No handguns were allowed and I was grown and out of the house when my first hand gun came into the picture.

1Shirt
06-24-2013, 11:04 AM
Super thread w/some great pics from some super old guys!
1Shirt!

Nickle
06-24-2013, 09:01 PM
My great grand daughter's first gun is probably going to be a Savage 340 in 222 or a Marlin Levermatic in 256 Win Mag. She turns 2 in a month or so.

country gent
06-24-2013, 11:59 PM
Today the Daughter ran me to an eye appointment. ( in case they dilated my eyes) and brought the Gradson along. Yes Im now offically old first set of bifocals are ordered. Gandson and her came in the house as we had some time to wait to leave. Tickeled and teased the Grandson rough housed a little with him. He seen the Favorite leaning against my bed room door frame. Smiled ran over to it carresed the forearm and smiledThe sparkle in his eyes was great. He ran to his mom pointed at it and was grinning ear to ear. He was great at the doctors we stopped into the gun shop ( owner and his wife are friends) so they could see how much hes grown, again he was great little guy. Got gas. Asked him if he want nuggets smiled and laughed got to the first window paid told him he was getting nuggets and again that silly smile and a giggleGot our food at the next window. Before daughter got on the road ( about 100 feet) I reached back to give him the first Nugget, Goof ball was sound asleep. LOL

JackQuest
07-05-2013, 09:49 PM
Further progress.

Left is my custom 7/8ths scale Low Wall .17HMR, to the right is grandson's Stevens Favorite converted to .17HMR. Next, some basic hunter safety training and then off to the range for proof firing.

JackQuest
07-14-2013, 03:02 PM
And finished. Lockable so dad can keep grandson under control. Now to hit the gun range.

atr
07-15-2013, 09:53 AM
Hey,,,good choice on that "first rifle".....

I still have and shoot my first 22....a J.C. Higgings single shot I got when I was 12...I plink in the back yard using CB ammo...very quiet !
atr

Worn_Holster
07-29-2013, 03:47 PM
I have a son who will get a lot of guns if he plays his cards right. I won't deny my daughter her share either, if she is interested. My biggest concern is just raising my two kids up to be adults worthy of the trust and responsibility that goes with gun ownership. They will likely start out on a Marlin 795 or a Savage MK II FVSR. I guess that I shouldn't doubt them since I plan to be with them every step along the way, but it is a long time between ages 1 and 3 and the time that they can legally own guns. I know as a teenager, I did some stupid things, but I became responsible by my early 20's. I bought my first firearm on my 21st birthday, a Ruger Security Six stainless 6" revolver which I still own today. I sure will be happy if my kids will inherit my interest and my collection.
My dad introduced my brothers and me to guns when we were 6 and 7 and gave us use of a Marlin single shot .22 when I was 8 to shoot at our VA vacation home in the country. I hope I won't be here in NJ long, but I'd have to be much more paranoid about handing them a gun to use in this anti gun state. Neither of my grandfathers were around to teach me anything about guns, I should be so lucky to be around for my kid's children.

Kermit1945
08-07-2013, 10:33 AM
Two to share with my grandson:

First is a Remington #6 in .22. It was pretty clean, with about 75% CC and 90% blue. Dirty bore cleaned up to near bright. Buttstock was loose, folding tang sight missing, and a non-stock takedown screw. It's all clean, bright, and tight now, and missing parts installed. These little so-called rolling blocks make great little first guns. They're even tinier and lighter than a Favorite. Don't overlook these guns!

Second is an 1894 Stevens Favorite in .32 rimfire. This one was amazingly clean and bright, but the stock looks like a re-varnish. It has a Beach folding front sight and a Lyman tang sight from the factory. I have a second breechblock that will get a centerfire change. I have about 100 .32 Long Colt cases. We're thinking to introduce him to breech seating with this one, going to the range with me for morning shooting. The rifle will retain the original rimfire block and be unmodified otherwise because it's too good to mess up, but too nice to not shoot.

Chev. William
08-25-2013, 11:17 PM
I do not have children, but I do have a Niece, a Nephew, a Grand Niece, a Grand Nephew, and so far, one Great Grand Nephew. I have two purchased "parts' 1894 series Stevens Favorite actions, spare parts and replacement parts to resurrect them to "speaking" condition. I intend to strengthen the actions by replacing the soft screws and pins with more modern high strength replacements.

Using two spare Breech Blocks, I intend to convert them to CF use with moderate loads. One is a .25 Stevens chambered and the other is a .32 Long RF chambered type. I have already come up with sources and methods for CF replacement cases in both calibers.

Sometime in the future these firearms will be able to 'speak' again.

Best Regards,
Chev. William