PDA

View Full Version : Axis Magazines

Jack Stanley
03-25-2013, 10:55 PM
Can anyone name an inexpensive source for a spare magazine for the Savage Axis rifle ? I'd like to find a spare for the .223 and I think Midway is somewhere above forty dollars .

Also , if you know a source of ten round magazines that work for the same caliber that would be great too !

Thanks , Jack

OBXPilgrim
03-27-2013, 07:42 PM
No help here - didn't even know they made spares, although there shouldn't be a reason they wouldn't.

But,,, I would like to know how your .223 Axis shoots, if you've had it long enough to have had any weather worth getting out in. I still need to test one out.

Thanks

dagunnut
03-27-2013, 08:21 PM
I found some at the Mill's Fleet Farm in Green Bay, Wisconsin for $23 but that was four months ago. They had them for 223, 243, and 308.

Mario
dagunnut

Jack Stanley
03-27-2013, 10:34 PM
Thanks dagunut , that's a start .

OBXPilgrim , as fate would have it today got all the way up to forty degrees while I was comparing the Axis to a model 110 . Both chambered in the .223 Remington round using reloads I made twenty years ago . Targets were B-3 bullseye target stapled up at a hundred yards , both rifles let one round of a total of twenty-five fired slip out into the white . For the Axis it was the triggers fault with the 110 it was my fault it's trigger is adjustable and much better . The core group fired by the 110 was much better but I think if I can clean the Axis trigger up a little it will be as good as the 110 .

I like the light weight of the Axis , the detachable magazine , the plastic stock uses steel bedding ferrules and the feel of the rifle in the hands is good . I wish the trigger was adjustable but I hear it's at least fixable . It breaks nice and clean , just heavy is all .

Jack

NSP64
04-06-2013, 11:30 PM
I bought an Axis in .308 took the trigger group out , replaced the spring with a lighter one. Half the pull weight now. Just shot a half inch group with it this morning @50 yrds in a 23 mph cross wind. I like the Axis.

Jack Stanley
04-07-2013, 07:54 PM
Thanks NSP64 , I saw a youtube video that amounted to clipping the spring back one coil . I may try that .... once I find a replacement spring to have on hand just in case !

Jack

DeanWinchester
04-07-2013, 07:57 PM
No. Sorry lol!

I looked forever for a .223 magazine for my 300 blackout. I finally gave $50 for one at a local gunshop. The hardest part was cutting the magazine up and fiberglassing it in place. Not easy for me after dropping tht kind of money on it. Thankfully it works flawlessly.

Wish I could help.