PDA

View Full Version : Help me to be strong...

Dale53
08-23-2007, 10:19 AM
I was in a local gun shop, yesterday. The proprietor showed me an S&W Performance Center .44 Magnum Hunter revolver ( 7.5" barrel with muzzle brake, tapered underlug, drilled and tapped for two scope mounting places (one on the barrel between the sights and one the standard top strap mounting) and one of the absolutely sweetest actions I have ever felt - both single and double action.

The revolver held so-o-o-o nice. This is really a DREAM revolver! The price is naturally hign but MUCH lower than you would expect. It had been bought by a fellow that shot it 20 times and traded it in on something else (he does that a LOT). It is absolutely brand new in appearance. Man oh man. The price is very attractive but I am standing firm and resisting all enticements. I am, I REALLY am, I am, I am...

Life is hard...

Dale53

SharpsShooter
08-23-2007, 10:27 AM
I was in a local gun shop, yesterday. The proprietor showed me an S&W Performance Center .44 Magnum Hunter revolver ( 7.5" barrel with muzzle brake, tapered underlug, drilled and tapped for two scope mounting places (one on the barrel between the sights and one the standard top strap mounting) and one of the absolutely sweetest actions I have ever felt - both single and double action.

The revolver held so-o-o-o nice. This is really a DREAM revolver! The price is naturally hign but MUCH lower than you would expect. It had been bought by a fellow that shot it 20 times and traded it in on something else (he does that a LOT). It is absolutely brand new in appearance. Man oh man. The price is very attractive but I am standing firm and resisting all enticements. I am, I REALLY am, I am, I am...

Life is hard...

Dale53

So.............I assume you will mount another red dot sight and when can we expect a test report???[smilie=1:

SS

BigSlick
08-23-2007, 10:37 AM
I don't really think you want a Lothar Walther barrel and perfect throats to go with that glass smooth trigger now do you ? And having the option to just mount a scope willy nilly at any time, man, that's rough.

That's also bad for shooting your other iron too.

It will make all your other guns feel cheap no matter how much you love them or paid for them.

I recently took posession of my first .460 from the Perf Ctr.

The term 'incredible' just doesn't do it justice.

It's built like Smith used to do all of them in the old days when craftsmanship was the rule rather than the exception.

If you fancy a .44, you would be hard pressed to find a better specimen
________
Krystal19 (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/Krystal19/)

versifier
08-23-2007, 10:44 AM
So, be strong. Walk right in there and with great strength in your voice say, "You're going home with me, sweetheart!" Smile and and pay the man. You only live once. :-D

felix
08-23-2007, 11:07 AM
Dale, get the damn thing! It's only a piece of steel. So is that other thing in your closet that you don't shoot much. Take that one or two with you to the store, and do a trade. ... felix

Shepherd2
08-23-2007, 11:48 AM
Dale - I can tell from your post that you're hooked. You might as well go back to the shop and get it, if you haven't already.

44man
08-23-2007, 01:03 PM
Buy it, buy it, buy it, buy it, buy it, buy it![smilie=1:

leftiye
08-23-2007, 03:31 PM
Lotta help youse guys are!

fishhawk
08-23-2007, 03:48 PM
shhhhhhh can't you hear it? buy me ...buy me......there it is again....

scrapcan
08-23-2007, 04:29 PM
you can grope, fondle, curl up with, and shoot it until SWMBO finally accepts you back into the house. And if you don't have SWMBO to worry about, well then you would already have brought it home.

DanWalker
08-23-2007, 05:21 PM
NOT buying a Smith, when the opportunity arises, that's a sin.....
Even if you wind up getting bored with it in short order, I doubt you'll lose money on it.

hivoltfl
08-23-2007, 05:24 PM
Dale, The best way to deal with temptation is to succumb, hehehehe
go get the thing and let us all be green with jelousy.

Rick

jawjaboy
08-23-2007, 05:58 PM
You cain't take it with you Dale! Ain't nothin' but paper 'n ink anyway.

No_1
08-23-2007, 06:34 PM
Last time I saw a post like this, it was a guy who was smitten with the Thompson Contenders and he went down the road of no return. Why don't you join him on your own journey. I am sure you won't be dissapointed....

R.

Tristan
08-23-2007, 09:24 PM
"Give in to temptation; it may not come your way again."

- From the notebooks of Lazurus Long

crabo
08-23-2007, 10:44 PM
Is it anything like this one? I love my PC .44. I have yet to decide what I am going to do about sights. It has a gold bead and rear V notch. I am thinking about quick release rings with red dot and scope. That way I have 3 options.

Crabo

Dale53
08-24-2007, 12:18 AM
crabo;
Yep, that sure looks like it. I have just purchased, as most of you know, a 625-8 and have been having a ball shooting it. I have THREE .44 magnums (Model 29, 8 3/8's barrel, a Ruger Red Hawk 7.5 inch barrel, and a S&W 629 with a 4" barrel) not to count THREE S&W .44 Specials...

I am NOT going to do it (and NO thanks to all of you trying to get me to "fall off the wagon" - that is totally inconsiderate, SO THERE)!

I have about quit deer hunting as I am too feeble to drag them in so I really can't talk myself into making this deal. I am just going to "sit this one out"(Oh-h-h-h, but it was such a SWEET action)....:( :( :(

Dale53

Dale53
10-05-2007, 08:11 PM
Well;
I was strong for over a month!! I really, really was...
At my local "Home" gun club meeting last night, the Gun Shop owner was there and I asked him if he still had the gun. I was sure it was "long gone". I was wrong. He still had it. I made a trip to the shop this morning. I couldn't get him to drop the price another penny (he had made me a good price the first time around). I bought it...

I went home, put a silver "Ultra Dot" on it and slipped out to the range. Before I left, I remembered that I needed some ammo. Here's a guy that has shot THOUSANDS (maybe tens of thousands) of .44 Special and Magnum loads over the years and I could hardly find any ammo. Finally, after tearing my shop apart, I found some few specials (Skeeter Load) and some of my regular .44 magnum loads. Hit the van and on to the range...

Somehow, when the Colonel was here (my son from Ft. Bragg) and we unloaded the van, we misplaced my handy-dandy MTM pistol rest. So, I threw a pedestal into the van with some make shift sand bags and sighted the new revolver in. In three shots I was in the "X" ring. I shot a couple of groups (not terribly remarkable but decent). Then, while I still had a few rounds left, I stood up an shot a so-so 98x100 (remember this was on the rather large and close 25 yard timed fire target). I had enough of the Skeeter loads to shoot one more target. It was only a 97 but the seven tens were much closer together and indicated to me, that this revolver has great potential. It'll take a couple of trips before I get acclimated to the new gun, but somehow, I think that will happen:Fire::Fire:

I have some of my "match class" cast bullets (Lyman Mould 429421) on hand so I will have to get the Dillon 550B converted to .44 Special and roll some rounds out for use the next couple of days.

So, where is the Lee GB 200 DEWC when I need it?:(

The previous owner had replaced the original VERY nice wood grips with Hogue's rubber ones (I prefer Rubber ones for use). So, I ran two cylinder fulls of my normal practice load (.44 mag, 23.0 grs of H110 and the Lyman 429421 with Alox lube). The recoil was plenty stout and I think that I am going to have to put a set of Packmayr's on this one, too, if I continue to shoot .44 mags in it. Frankly, for range use, I find the Skeeter load to be far more pleasant.[smilie=1:

Naturally, I will "have" to get inside and see what the action looks like, check out the lube, etc. I sure don't need to change any springs, etc. The double action is NICE!

If you fellows and gals will read this whole thread, you will see that this sinner got NO help at all from any of you. You just encouraged me to "go down the path" (and I did[smilie=1:). As a result, your penalty is to watch me extoll the virtues of yet another fine revolver:mrgreen:.

Dale53

Nueces
10-05-2007, 10:23 PM
No skin off us, Dale. We'll enjoy hearing about it and Al'll bitch slap ya when it gets too deep. :mrgreen:

Mark