PDA

View Full Version : Home grown Mushrooms

Smijen48
03-25-2013, 06:36 PM
I want to start some mushrooms been doing a lot of reading. Does anyone grow? If so would you start with a kit?

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-25-2013, 06:58 PM
I don't grow them, but want to...I've done lots of reading also.
My previous girlfriend has a ranch/hobbyfarm with a patch of woods that would have been perfect to start a bed of Morels. She has found morels in that woods. But since she now hates me, I guess that door is now closed.

ANYWAY, Yes, I would start with a kit. From what I've read about sterilizing and inoculating the medium...it seems too much hassle compared to the price of a kit. I've considered starting a kit in my cellar...but just haven't ordered one yet.
Good Luck,
Jon

x101airborne
03-25-2013, 06:59 PM
I never grew any, but I found some growing in a cow patty one time. I dont remember the next 8 hours, but woke up naked in the yard. Somehow, my wristwatch was 12 feet up in a tree and I had green pecan stains all over my hands. Eh, that's what you get on a Tuesday!

Smijen48
03-25-2013, 08:02 PM
JonB I ordered an Oyster mushroom kit I will let you know how it works out. and,airborne all I can say is WOW LOL

waksupi
03-25-2013, 08:45 PM
Around here the forest service lets a few hundred square miles of timber burn, then the next few years there are morels by the truck load. You may wish to start with a smaller fire.

wlc
03-25-2013, 10:49 PM
They pick Morrels here in burned over areas as well. A site lasts for a few years then production drops off.

I've thought about starting our own with one of the kits. I'll be watching for a report on your experience with one.

ripshod
03-26-2013, 07:39 AM
A friend and I grew ****ake mushrooms .They were very good eating.Do a search growing ****ake mushrooms.There is a multitude of info out there.ripshod

dale2242
03-26-2013, 08:00 AM
Here is a link to my go to seed company.
They have several mushroom kits available.
www.territorialseed.com

Smijen48
03-26-2013, 08:21 AM
Thank ya'll I live in Louisiana. I thought I would find some mushroom growers around here and get some advice but I can't find any so gonna use the internet. Thank ya'll for the links and advice.

Smijen48
03-26-2013, 08:23 AM
Waksupi I think lol I will start with a very small fire at first until I learn what I'm doing.

Bulldogger
03-26-2013, 09:01 AM
From what I have read, Morels are temperamental and aren't suited to kits, which is a shame because they are like heaven...

I too have wanted to try ****aake or oyster, or any mushroom, but haven't gotten to it. Kinda scared of what I'm going to do with a bushel of them...

Plese keep us posted!

x101airoborne, you got any 'wildwood weeds' out there alongside them cow patties and shrooms?

Bulldogger

TheGrimReaper
03-26-2013, 10:31 AM
Don't grow them....but always have wanted to. I love Mushrooms.

Lloyd Smale
03-27-2013, 06:43 AM
They pick Morrels here in burned over areas as well. A site lasts for a few years then production drops off.

I've thought about starting our own with one of the kits. I'll be watching for a report on your experience with one.

I read once that the cambells soup company offered a pretty hefty reward for anyone who could come up with an economical way to grow them.

Tazman1602
03-27-2013, 07:15 AM
BD you're dating yourself. "Some said it was a flower some said it was a weed, I never did give it much thought"........................

LMAO

Art

From what I have read, Morels are temperamental and aren't suited to kits, which is a shame because they are like heaven...

I too have wanted to try ****aake or oyster, or any mushroom, but haven't gotten to it. Kinda scared of what I'm going to do with a bushel of them...

Plese keep us posted!

x101airoborne, you got any 'wildwood weeds' out there alongside them cow patties and shrooms?

Bulldogger

Moonie
03-27-2013, 03:17 PM
I've got a friend that grew shiitaki's for a number of years, he enjoyed it, found a vineyard/winery was more profitable.

wlc
03-27-2013, 03:36 PM
I read once that the cambells soup company offered a pretty hefty reward for anyone who could come up with an economical way to grow them.

I'd eat all my profits if you could grow "tame" Morrels.

We've been thinking about trying one of the kits to grow some type of mushroom, but I'm not really sure our house would have the right climate of heat or humidity and that's the only place I have available, especially for the 9 months of winter we have...

x101airborne
03-28-2013, 09:29 AM

Plese keep us posted!

Bulldogger

Maayyybbeee:lol:

x101airborne
03-28-2013, 09:31 AM
hey, I am an environmentalist. I love everything in nature. Even the mosquitoes when they bite my enemies! If it is from the Earth, it was put here for me!

pipehand
03-28-2013, 07:17 PM
We tried a Portabella kit this past winter in the house. Those were the most expensive 4 mushrooms we've ever eaten.