BCB
03-25-2013, 09:00 AM
NOT CAST...

Remington hundgun bullets...

What does "SJ" stand for...

Thanks...BCB

Tatume
03-25-2013, 09:16 AM
Semi-jacketed, the bullet has a lot of exposed lead at the front end.

Beagle333
03-25-2013, 09:16 AM
Semi-jacketed. The jacket only goes halfway up the bullet. The top half is all lead.

oops.... beat to the punch! :oops:

BCB
03-25-2013, 09:23 AM
Thanks guys...

I might have known that at one time, but it certainly has slipped my mind--mostly deal in cast anymore...

Since retired, I am doing inventories of all the primers, powders and boolits/bullets I have...

The list is pretty amazing from my bullet-shooting years. Most I have forgotten about or not used since going to the cast boolit hobby...

Good-luck...BCB

myg30
03-25-2013, 10:02 AM
SJ bullets are no good any more ! Send them to me to be recycled so the berm miners can get lead ! lol
Its really funny all the **** we forgot about that we stored away cause it was so important that we had to have it !! I've got boxes full that im not sure where I stashed them ! Still looking for stuff from the 80's !
Load em up and enjoy shooting them.

Mike

BCB
03-25-2013, 10:09 AM
SJ bullets are no good any more ! Send them to me to be recycled so the berm miners can get lead ! lol
Its really funny all the **** we forgot about that we stored away cause it was so important that we had to have it !! I've got boxes full that im not sure where I stashed them ! Still looking for stuff from the 80's !
Load em up and enjoy shooting them.

Mike

Yep...

So far I have entered 56 different bullets/boolits onto a spreedsheet I am making...

That might be half of the varieties that I have...

Some of mine are from 1969 or 1970...

Oh well, they will still shoot and I let other people try them if they don't want to purchase an entire box of a specific type...

BCB

Guesser
03-25-2013, 10:42 AM
SJHP is old technology, simply won't work in this age of "Golden saber", XTP-HP, etc. Probably won't even clear the bore, won't stand up to HYPE or ridicule. Please, just offer a Memorial service for an age long gone.
Yours Truly: Johnny Dollar?????????????????????

Guesser
03-25-2013, 10:46 AM
Just remembered; I have a half case of the old Remington 38 Special, 95 grain SJHP, concave base. How long have they been discontinued? I've had the case for over 30 years.
Peters once loaded them in 38 Special, but that was half or more of a lifetime ago.

Tatume
03-25-2013, 10:52 AM
Actually, all kidding aside, the Remington 180 gr SJHP 357 bullet is the best jacketed bullet I've ever used in the 357 Maximum. They used to be available in 500 packs for a very reasonable price. I wish I had bought a truckload of them.

Mal Paso
03-25-2013, 10:53 AM
NOT CAST...

Remington hundgun bullets...

What does "SJ" stand for...

Thanks...BCB

Stupid Jacket

Mk42gunner
03-25-2013, 11:52 AM
Actually, all kidding aside, the Remington 180 gr SJHP 357 bullet is the best jacketed bullet I've ever used in the 357 Maximum. They used to be available in 500 packs for a very reasonable price. I wish I had bought a truckload of them.

I know I have one and maybe two 100 count bags of those that I bought for use in my .357 Mag 16" carbine, before I started casting seriously. One of these days they will get loaded... maybe.

Robert

NVScouter
03-25-2013, 12:21 PM
I have a stock of old Speer Short Jacket 100g .308 HP that explode critters when they impact over 1K FPS. Too bad they are discontinued, if loaded long they are the best.