PDA

View Full Version : Source for plastic storage boxes?

Woodtroll
08-22-2007, 08:07 PM
Folks, I hope that this is not too off-topic here, but I'm looking for some plastic storage boxes to tidy up my bench and shelves. I prefer some kind of fairly transparent plastic, like the MTM Utility boxes, but they only come in two sizes. The Midways come in a broader size range, but none of them are big enough to store, say, longer flash hole reamers, electronic scales, etc., or very many bullets at a time, and they are a solid color.

The food storage and Tupperware boxes are a little closer, but their edges are all rounded (where I would prefer square), the lips take up room that I don't have to spare, and the plastic is softer than I would like.

SO, anyone have a place to get a neat assortment of square-cornered, rigid, transparent or translucent plastic boxes, preferably with hinged or slip-off lids?

I thought with all of the what-nots we collect in this hobby, someone would have come up with something good.

Thanks! Y'all take care, Regan

monadnock#5
08-22-2007, 10:00 PM
The store with the best selection in these parts is Home Depot.

RayinNH
08-22-2007, 11:01 PM
Woodtroll, I'm not sure what size your after but a box I found handy for storage is made by Sterilite. I use them for storing handgun brass. They do have rounded corners though. On the plus side they are see through, stackable, have a removable lid and an integral carry handle that folds flat. I bought them at Walmart...Ray

http://www.sterilite.com/Category.html?Section=Storage&ProductCategory=42#

I use #1892.

joatmon
08-22-2007, 11:22 PM
For beam scales I mount them to model car dust proof display boxs.

Bubba w/a 45/70
08-22-2007, 11:39 PM
Look in the fishing section of a retailer. And there should be some flat translucent plastic boxes that are sold as bait/small tackle holders. They have movable dividers inside and are fairly "adjustable" for different needs. You can get different sizes, but I like the larger ones, as I can store many many boolits in each one. And even keep them segregated out by weight.

They come from different companies (differing brand names) but most do the same thing.

Bad Water Bill
08-22-2007, 11:44 PM
I find the Sterlite shoe boxes work very well. They stack one on top of the other when full and inside each other when empty. They are only about $1.00 each at your favorite big box store. BWB :castmine:

Shepherd2
08-23-2007, 07:57 AM
I use a Sterlite box with a hinged lid that I get at the dollar stores for a dollar, of course. Roughly a 6" cube and stackable. Good for storing brass, bulk handgun ammo etc. A handy size.

LarryM
08-23-2007, 11:06 PM
For a cheaper alternative look at the Glad food storage boxes at the grocery store. they come in a plethora of sizes and shapes.

USARO4
08-24-2007, 01:14 PM
Check out the kitchenware dept next time you're in Wally World. Lots of handy reloading/casting accessories.

dmftoy1
08-24-2007, 05:15 PM
I've had really good luck with the newer style of Plano utility boxes . .I think they come in 4 sizes and have latches that snap closed. (but they stack up nice and neat) I use them to organize luber-sizer dies, hold pistol and rifle cleaning kit, etc.

The best place around here to find them is "Menards". I don't know if you have them where you're at but they're a big home improvement store like Home Depot or Lowes.

Good Luck!

Woodtroll
08-25-2007, 09:37 PM
Thanks, everyone, for your help. I ended up picking up a few of the plastic boxes y'all mentioned, although the rounded edges and sloping sides (and resulting waste of shelf space) really peeve me. I also ended up picking up one of the smaller multi-drawer cabinets for sorting out all the little tools, parts, and specialty dies. Sterilite makes a small set of drawers in three sizes that they call "Countertop Drawers" that I'm trying out, too. These will work for some of the bigger things. They stack, but don't seem sturdy enough for anything that is very heavy. Time will tell how long they last.

I still wish I could get some square boxes, with slip tops, and made of the same more-rigid material as the Lee two-die boxes.

Thanks again, y'all take care! Regan

RayinNH
08-26-2007, 09:35 AM
Woodtroll, if you've got very heavy nothing beats an ammo can. The're square edged, square cornered and have a built in carry handle. Tough to see through though unless you've got X-ray vision...Ray

ReAX222
08-26-2007, 09:05 PM
I'll agree on the tackle box stuff. I have several of the little flat clear trays with lids. I use one for tackle, one for a glock parts box, another for some odd ammo, another electrical connectors and so on. Very handy. I also have a plano double sided tackle box I used for diving, one side kept parts the other side had tools.

Cherokee
08-28-2007, 12:55 PM
I've been using 30 Cal and 50 Cal GI Ammo cans for 40 years. Works for me. Labels are easy to make for the front, top or side of the cans. Me, I number the cans and keep a separate list of what is in the cans.

BABore
08-28-2007, 01:41 PM
Check out this link to US Plastics Co.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/default.asp

They sell to the individual. Look under Rubbermade : Containers : Food Storage for your clear plastic containers with snap lids.

They also carry a full line of poly cutting boards in all sizes. I've got a 1/2 x 36 x 72 incher for my meat bench. Make excellent loading bench tops too.

contender85
08-28-2007, 02:31 PM
I've been using the Sterlite shoe boxes for storing brass/bullets ? work very well and they are cheap enough, got mine @ Family Dollar store.

Mark

ReAX222
08-28-2007, 09:41 PM
For brass, I just use big card board boxes. I like using water/canned food case bottoms for my loading. I can lube and clean and throw out the box if it gets too nasty.

Woodtroll
08-29-2007, 02:10 PM
Thanks, folks, for the tips. I use a LOT of GI cans to store my primers, .22 ammo, etc., but in this case was looking for smaller boxes to store odd dies and parts, small tools, handfuls of bullets, etc. up to about the size of a reloading scale. I'm going to look up a model car display box for the scale.

Many thanks for all of your help! Regan

ReAX222
08-29-2007, 08:40 PM
Try this link http://www.impalasuperstore.com/naisso/superstore40/shopexd.asp?id=1092

Typecaster
09-04-2007, 01:24 PM
Here's a source for hinge-top plastic ammo boxes. The utility boxes have NO dividers...they work great for boolets since they latch shut.

http://www.jandjproducts.com/

cohutt
09-04-2007, 07:15 PM
http://www.containerstore.com/

Sometimes when i go to Atlanta i stop in and browse, lots of adaptable items here.

Not dirt cheap but stuff i've never seen anywhere else.

OeldeWolf
09-08-2007, 04:04 PM
In another post on this forum, a fellow uses the slip-top boxes that the rimfire ammo comes in. Only a few sizes, but you may find them at the range, or have them left over of you shoot rimfire too.

Ricochet
09-08-2007, 04:16 PM
Lately we've bought sliced lunchmeat that comes in nice resealable plastic containers that I find are just perfect for storing bullets.