PDA

View Full Version : 1st .357 Lever Gun Recommendation

crabo
08-22-2007, 07:50 PM
Which of the lever guns whould you recommend as the "best buy" in .357. I hate guns that will not shoot well with proper load development.

So my "best buy" would have to include very good accuracy for the caliber, even if it cost more. Of course it would be fed cast boolits.

I would use it to shoot the 100 meter Cowboy silohuette and just a "knock around" gun.

Thanks,

Crabo

beagle
08-22-2007, 09:47 PM
Well, I'm not into cowboy shooting but I have a Marlin M1894C .357 Mag that has digested almost 20K assorted .357s and .38 Specials. This is the short model with the 18" barrel. in the last 5-6 years.

Scoped, it will shoot 358429s into 1 12" at 100 yards with 2400 powder.

Normally it wears just irons and I shoot hot .38s all the time in it. Great plinking gun.

One broken firing pin in 20K rounds ain't bad.

I highly recommend it with cast./beagle

HCL
08-22-2007, 09:53 PM
Well my vote goes to the Marlin 1894c. Picked up an used one a few years ago and have had nothin but fun with it. It digests cast 357 and 38 with no problems. I shoot ONLY cast, mainly 148gr DEWC, 158gr FN, 150gr WC, 168gr FN. It is an older one with the micro grove barrel, but pretty accurate non the less.
I picked it up when the wife and I were looking at CAS, on recommendations for the local CAS group here in Alaska. They use quite a few of them.
Mike

lar45
08-22-2007, 10:11 PM
I have a Rossi M92 and really love it. It shoots my C358-180RF well, and others. I have had some minor feeding problems with SWC ammo that my cousin loaded, but other than that no feeding problems. The action is smooth and they are built very strong. Mine is an older Blued Rossi and I picked it up for just over $200ish about 4 years ago. I bought mine for CAS shoots, but it was so much fun to shoot we just started takeing it with us most everywhere. 38 spl Cat sneeze loads are quite(sp?). We've even hammered some Cottontails with it.
My uncle has one and has shot a few Mulies with it. I haven't seen anything when I've had it during Deer season.
The New Stainless Puma looks really nice. They have one with an octagon barrel, I think it's available in 357.

Dan at Mountainmolds has a Win 357 and used it to take a Moose a couple of years ago. It only took 2 shots. I think he may have a short writeup on his site.

Poohgyrr
08-22-2007, 10:13 PM
I've handled the Marlin, owned a Win Trapper, and now a tuned EMF M92...

A properly working Win M94 is real nice, and a lot of people like the Marlin, but I prefer the handling of the M92 type Levers, and really, really like a good tuned EMF ( www.stevesgunz.com ).

NickSS
08-23-2007, 02:27 PM
I have a marlin and a Win 94 and both shoot just fine. However, I have busted two cartridge lifters in my 94 carbine. Both due to a cartridge slipping past the cartridge stop and going under the cartridge lifter during rapid fire. When closing the action the lifter will hit to shell and snap off. I do not shoot my Winchester fast any longer and have no problems. I ever had it back to the company for service in this area. Now they are closed and parts cost more. So I would go with a Marlin I never have any trouble with mine.

45r
08-23-2007, 04:05 PM
I like my Marlin 357 CB so much I put a 2x7 scope on it and its shooting half inch groups with several loads at 50 yards.It did well with a red dot sight also but easier to shoot smaller groups with scope on.Want a bigger one now like maybe a 356 win to be it's big brother.The marlins are real easy to take apart and clean.I like how accurate they are also.I put quick release rings on the scope and can go back to red dot or iron sights real easy also.The marlins have a lot going for them.

cattleskinner
08-23-2007, 05:53 PM
Here is the link to the moose story that Glen is talking about.

http://www.mountainmolds.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=205

-Amos

Char-Gar
08-23-2007, 07:58 PM
In 1966, I sent a shot out Winchester 92 (25-20) to Ward Koozer in Arizona to be rebored and converted to .357 Magnum. It worked very well and I kept it for almost 20 years.

About ten years ago, I bought Marlin 1894 in .357 Magnum and have been very happy with it.

Jack Stanley
08-23-2007, 08:45 PM
I almost bought a new winchester when they first came out untill I found out they had the "safety" button . Before that I owned a browning 92 that was smooth with the bullets that it liked .
I curently have a Marlin and I enjoy it quite a bit . Wadcutters fed single shot are so accurate it's scary . Using .357's is real good too , the only bullet I use in that case is the LBT hundred and eighty-five grain flat point . This bullet feeds like corn through a goose , I'd like to see it's performance on a larger critter . The mold maker claims it does very well .

Jack

Cracker
08-25-2007, 04:40 PM
I have been shooting a Marlin 1894CP(16"bbl ported) for 5yrs now with no issues. It is very handy and swings fast with the short barrel and has proven to be very accurate with a Marbles Tang sight. I could go either way on the porting, it was the only way to get a 16" barrel, BUT have found semi useful when shooting 180gc over 16g of H110. It has been an exelent rifle but if you are planning on shooting CAS it would be out of the running

jdhenry
08-26-2007, 03:12 AM
My wife and I both have Marlin 1894C's. Alot of fun For Plinking and Rodents......Two or Four leged:) Cheap to shoot also.

hollow-point
09-16-2007, 03:09 AM
My 1894 C 18inch Shoots3-4inch Groups At 50 Yds With Nearly All Factory Loaded 357 And Mostwarm Or Hot Cast Lods. All I Need For Fallow Deer . Very Light Deer In Australia.