PDA

View Full Version : A few questions

bc3660
08-22-2007, 07:41 PM
Hi I'm new to BPCR shooting so i have a few dumb questions. I have read here that alot of people dont like Pyrodex, becouse it rusts up the gun too much. Is 777 a beter sub for BP and Pyrodex?
I have been making boolits out of typeset for printing presses. Is this "lynotype"?
If so is that too hard for a BP gun? (577 snider/enfield)
And this may be the dumbest question. But why drop your boolits in water? I just drop them onto a towel. (only loading 45 colt right now still waitin on the 577 mold) thanks for any help you can give!!
Steve

SharpsShooter
08-22-2007, 08:01 PM
Hi I'm new to BPCR shooting so i have a few dumb questions. I have read here that alot of people dont like Pyrodex, becouse it rusts up the gun too much. Is 777 a beter sub for BP and Pyrodex?
I have been making boolits out of typeset for printing presses. Is this "lynotype"?
If so is that too hard for a BP gun? (577 snider/enfield)
And this may be the dumbest question. But why drop your boolits in water? I just drop them onto a towel. (only loading 45 colt right now still waitin on the 577 mold) thanks for any help you can give!!
Steve

None of the substitutes are very good. Real Black Powder such as Goex, or Swiss is the way to go. Typeset is typically linotype and is far to hard for BP applications. You need 20:1 or softer (BNH 9 or less 30:1 or even 40:1 ) for the enfield. If loading smokeless the lino can be mixedwith pure for the 45 colt, but if loading BP you will need the softer lead /tin mix. Save the lino for high velocity applications or trade it for pure lead and tin.

BTW, questions are not dumb. They show an interest in learning the right way to so something. That is what this board is about. Welcome!
SS

jerrold
08-22-2007, 08:24 PM
Sharp shooter is on the mark on the lead, but don't throw away the pyrodex, its not the holyblack but it will go boom. A good cleaning and oil will keep everything working fine.[smilie=1:

vita ist breva

jerrold

Buckshot
08-23-2007, 02:11 AM
...............Your Snider will want very soft-pure lead. The barrels had progressive depth grooves and at the breech will run about 0.013" deep. If your bore is .577" then across the grooves it will be .603". The slug must upset to fill the grooves. The chambers on Sniders can be a bit odd as they were designed to chamber and eject the Boxer 3 piece foil cartridge case.

I have heard that some chambers will not accept a cartridge with a .600" (or so) Minie' or RB seated. I suppose it's a good thing that both my Snider carbine and 3 band rifle will chamber such.

Also, Pyrodex will not cause MORE rusting, but apparently part of it's residue is a bit more virulent or active in rusting then those left by BP. Use it and just clean well as soon after shooting (just like with BP) as possible. The only real issue I have with Pyrodex is it's acrid smoke. While inhaling a lungfull of real BP smoke isn't a bunch of fun, at least it doesn't seen like it's trying to eat the lining of your throat.

Re: 777. It's expensive. It's hotter stuff then real BP or Pyrodex.

Water dropping a lead alloy has a tempering effect causing the slug to end up harder (to a degree) then as if it were air cooled. It MUST contain a trace of arsenic and have some antimony to achieve success. There is no such effect on a pure lead boolit.

Had any success with your Snider? What kind is it and how have you been loading it?

....................Buckshot

bc3660
08-23-2007, 12:12 PM
I dont know what model it is but the barrel has "Steel" stamped on it. I bought it in Afganistan. I will post some pic's when i get home tonight. I havent reloaded for it yet, still watin for my mold to come in. I have orderd a .590-480-HB mold from another site. And i need to find a supply of pure lead now. The data I have says 70gr of BP for that boolit. Thanks for all the good info!!!
Steve

NickSS
08-23-2007, 02:04 PM
I have used some pyrodex and found it no more difficult to clean than black and I got good accuracy in my 45-70 sharps. The way things are going it is very difficult to find black in small quantities where I live so I tryed some pyrodex to see if it would work shoud the day come when I can't find black powder. It works well. In fact I shot some of my best targets with it in my Shiloh sharps. I do not like its smell though and do not use it but it will work. Oh it needs more compression than any black powder I have tried to give good results.

codarnall
08-23-2007, 03:40 PM
Father-in-law, Professor emeritus in chemistry NMIMT Socorro, NM had a graduate student look up the patent application for pyrodex. The stuff really only has added ingredient potassium perchlorate. This is highly corrosive hydroscopic (water attracting) chemical. Every EOD guy is well aware of its properties. Bad news. Doesn't smell right either!
Charlie

montana_charlie
08-23-2007, 04:41 PM
I dont know what model it is but the barrel has "Steel" stamped on it. I bought it in Afganistan. I will post some pic's when i get home tonight.
I'm very interested in seeing those pictures, even though I know nothing about that firearm model.

Back when Osama (and crew) were 'the good guys'...fighting the Russians...there was a documentary on TV about mujahadin weaponry. Many Afghanis acquired them from the 'gunsmiths' just across the border in Pakistan.

Those guys, using truck axles(?), rebar(?), and chunks of metal from all sources could produce copies of about any gun you could imagine. All they needed was a 'pattern piece' to copy.

They used the simplest of hand tools...files, chisels, rudimentary drills...and could carve out amazingly convincing look-a-likes.

Wonder if yours is one of those...
CM

bc3660
08-23-2007, 05:12 PM
Took it to a gun show right after I got home and one of the dealers there said it was worth $500 to $700. He seamed to know what he was talking about. But I didnt aks too many questions. Now I wish I had.

bc3660
08-23-2007, 11:30 PM
ok here are some of the pics

bc3660
08-23-2007, 11:32 PM
how do i re size a pic?

Scrounger
08-24-2007, 12:25 AM
Easiest way is to download the free software from Microsoft. Here is a link to it; just scroll down to find "Image Resizer" and download and install it. Takes a minute or two to do all that. After it's installed , all you need do is right click on your photo, left click on "Resize Photo", and select the size you want. Pretty simple.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Buckshot
08-24-2007, 10:51 AM
I dont know what model it is but the barrel has "Steel" stamped on it. I bought it in Afganistan. I will post some pic's when i get home tonight. I havent reloaded for it yet, still watin for my mold to come in. I have orderd a .590-480-HB mold from another site. And i need to find a supply of pure lead now. The data I have says 70gr of BP for that boolit. Thanks for all the good info!!!
Steve

..............Steve, whether your Snider is a legitimate British product or a "Kyber Pass Special" can usually be determined by the markings. The font, position, clearity, proofmarks and other details will tell. The "Steel" markings denote later Snider barrels purpose made rather then the use of original P53, P56, etc, Enfield ML'er barrels. These were lapwelded iron.

BTW, modern drawn brass Snider cases will hold a passel more powder then the regulation 70.0grs. There are ways around puting 100.0grs in a case to take up the room :-)!!!!

.............Buckshot

twotrees
08-25-2007, 09:13 AM
"...........BTW, modern drawn brass Snider cases will hold a passel more powder then the regulation 70.0grs. There are ways around puting 100.0grs in a case to take up the room :-)!!!!
Buckshot[/QUOTE]..............

You Da Man (!!!), if you touch off 100 gr of BP behind your slug ,in that carbine.

Add's new meaning to "Kills at both ends"[smilie=1:

TwoTrees

Dale53
08-25-2007, 10:42 AM
There is a lot of prejudice against Pyrodex. I personally use Swiss BP by choice. However, I won several pounds of pistol Pyrodex at a match. I decided to use it in revolver Cowboy matches. It worked VERY well. I got excellent accuracy in my Ruger Bisley Vaquero (1.5" at 25 yards) with a Lyman Cowboy bullet (30/1 lead/tin). I used "Friendship Speed Juice" home mix (one pint of each, Murphy's Oil Soap, Rubbing Alcohol, and Peroxide). It immediately dissolves both black powder residue AND Pyrodex fouling. I then dry carefully, and immediately apply Ed's Red. I have had NO rust problems whatsoever. I DO clean at the range immediately after the match.

I can shoot 75 accurate shots with Pistol Pyrodex with accuracy without cleaning. I have used up all of the Pyrodex and will be continuing with Swiss BP in the future (I have no problem getting BP and prefer the traditional approach).

YMMV
Dale53

Freightman
08-25-2007, 11:10 AM
I would use "BLACK" if it were avalable in my area, would have to drive 250 miles round trip to get it, so a substitute is all that is available. Said that to say I shoot BP substitute in a Shiloh Sharps, a Remington rolling block, Buffalo Classic, and a Zouwav 58, never had any rust, use plenty of boiling water and dish soap and oil.
Of course the humity is low here on the great American desert.

montana_charlie
08-25-2007, 03:14 PM
I would use "BLACK" if it were avalable in my area, would have to drive 250 miles round trip to get it, so a substitute is all that is available.
I suppose you know that you can mailorder all the black powder you want...if you want.

What do they charge in your area for a can of Pyrodex?
CM

wills
08-25-2007, 08:36 PM
http://www.powderinc.com/

1-4 FG

5 lb. lot: $18.40 per lb.
10 lb. lot: $14.70 per lb.
25 or 50 lb. lot: $11.75 per lb.
Price includes shipping and hazmat fee.

Cartridge
5 lb. lot: $19.05 per lb
10 lb. lot: $15.35 per lb
25 or 50 lb. lot: $12.40 per lb.

Prices are up

bc3660
08-26-2007, 12:27 PM
ok here are the pics
Steve

bc3660
08-26-2007, 12:29 PM
and more

bc3660
08-26-2007, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the help SCROUNGER

SharpsShooter
08-27-2007, 07:20 AM
http://www.powderinc.com/

1-4 FG

5 lb. lot: $18.40 per lb.
10 lb. lot: $14.70 per lb.
25 or 50 lb. lot: $11.75 per lb.

Cartridge
5 lb. lot: $19.05 per lb
10 lb. lot: $15.35 per lb
25 or 50 lb. lot: $12.40 per lb.

Prices are up

Yeesh! Prices are way higher than last time. Still cheaper than that white stuff...

SS

montana_charlie
08-27-2007, 10:12 AM
I'd still like to know what he pays for Pyrodex...

ARKANSAS PACKRAT
08-27-2007, 04:19 PM
WOW!!
That 45lb I still have from the big purchase 12 years ago looks better (cheaper) [smilie=1: all the time, it's nice to hit something right once in awhile!!!:drinks: