PDA

View Full Version : Laughs with the '51 Colt

Nobade
03-24-2013, 05:25 PM
I have been messing with a replica '51 from 1980 for some time now, off an on. Got it free and it was broken, now it works. Anyhow I just replaced the front sight and was shooting it at various ranges to get it dialed in. So I tried it at 7 yards like the CCW guys like to shoot. Had a paper target stapled to a big chunk of wood. 5 out of 6 shots went into one hole, with the other just cutting the edge. I thought that was pretty good, when I noticed the target was smoking. Then it caught on fire. I went to examine it, and the greased felt wads had embedded themselves in the wood along with the balls! I guess that's a doubly effective defensive load. I'll have to watch for fires if I go out shooting for rabbits in dry brush.

-Nobade

missionary5155
03-24-2013, 06:02 PM
Greetings
So we finally know the downfall for being too accurate. Have to remember up close to spread the wealth about the torso with BP.
Mike in Peru

Bad Shot
03-24-2013, 07:16 PM
I shoot / live in S Az I think we are dryer than you? I alway`s wondered if that would happen,I shot a lot of smokeless in hand guns sometimes close to the ground no fires.BUT always a thought.

John Allen
03-24-2013, 07:25 PM
The 1851 is a great revolver. It just feels right in your hand. I have two and love them.

square butte
03-24-2013, 07:31 PM
Thing are alot drier in NM than they are here in VT. I had a target set up on a weathered stump when i lived in MT. Stump was so hard thath the ball bounced staight back and walloped me in the thigh. Wowch !

drhall762
03-24-2013, 07:49 PM
I have a brass frame 1860 Sheriff's model I built from a $25.00 kit. I learned a lot about chamfering the chambers and the forcing cone as well as a good crown on the muzzle. At 7 yards off hand it will put 5 in one ragged hole and the sixth off about an inch. Always the same chamber. Oh well, that is dead with a .44.

DIRT Farmer
03-24-2013, 11:12 PM
Out of curisoty Nobade, what were you using for a wad or lube under the ball?

That is why I started using oil on my shotgun wads, had to stomp out a few small fires on Fall at Friendship one year when it was dry.

Nobade
03-25-2013, 09:06 AM
Out of curisoty Nobade, what were you using for a wad or lube under the ball?

That is why I started using oil on my shotgun wads, had to stomp out a few small fires on Fall at Friendship one year when it was dry.

Using 1/8" felt from Durofelt, lubed with Dick Dastardly's Pearl lube mix. (soy flakes, crisco, and toilet bowl rings). I have never seen these wads burn before, but I guess this was so close they packed in there and could smoulder.

-Nobade

John Taylor
03-26-2013, 10:04 AM
Many years ago I tried some home made powder in a canon, set the whole hill side on fire. There were several watching ( and laughing at) two fools running all over the hill trying to stomp out the fire.

Hanshi
03-26-2013, 01:10 PM
Don't forget that it wasn't uncommon in the wild west days for close-in gunfights (seldom any other kind) to result in someone's clothing catching fire. This has been documented.

Alan
03-26-2013, 02:01 PM
Welcome to your new addiction. There is no cure, only treatments. I'm over 10 C&B's and counting. I will admit that if I had known how much fun the 36's were, I would have started with them instead of the 44's.

Nobade
03-26-2013, 08:20 PM
Welcome to your new addiction. There is no cure, only treatments. I'm over 10 C&B's and counting. I will admit that if I had known how much fun the 36's were, I would have started with them instead of the 44's.

Yep, 36's do the same thing as 44's but use less powder and lead. As long as you're not trying to kill something big, they're just fine. I shoot my '62 pocket police more than most of the others, just because it's so easy to carry around and just too cute. I guess I need a .31 to go with them. My daughter has a Remington .31 that is great fun but I don't have one. Time to go on the lookout I guess!

-Nobade