PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on a Colt Lightning...

TXSlade
03-24-2013, 04:17 PM

An employee of mine who is quite dear to me, gave me this. She is 85 years old and a better worker than most of the teenagers that I have employed. Her husband passed on a couple years ago and he found this. Just as you see, cylinder pin jammed from being inserted upside down, no grips, an old silver spoon was used as a hammer spring. ;-)

It was a nickeled model, not that y'all can tell that from the photo, lol. A component is damaged in the trigger group. So, it has a lot of work to get it back to life. From what I can tell, it has no real value. So, I could theoretically do what I wish and have no fear ruining the value.

I'm considering fixing it, and making it "pretty" and possibly make some blackpowder rounds for it. Of a low pressure, obviously.

Would any of you gentlemen have any ideas?

I kind of doubt I will actually fire it, but what is the point of a gun you can't shoot? I have cleaned it up some, taken the cobwebs out, bore is actually quite nice, will need a couple parts, etc. But I haven't touched it in months and want to decide my path and begin this project.

gunfan
03-24-2013, 11:29 PM

An employee of mine who is quite dear to me, gave me this. She is 85 years old and a better worker than most of the teenagers that I have employed. Her husband passed on a couple years ago and he found this. Just as you see, cylinder pin jammed from being inserted upside down, no grips, an old silver spoon was used as a hammer spring. ;-)

It was a nickeled model, not that y'all can tell that from the photo, lol. A component is damaged in the trigger group. So, it has a lot of work to get it back to life. From what I can tell, it has no real value. So, I could theoretically do what I wish and have no fear ruining the value.

I'm considering fixing it, and making it "pretty" and possibly make some blackpowder rounds for it. Of a low pressure, obviously.

Would any of you gentlemen have any ideas?

I kind of doubt I will actually fire it, but what is the point of a gun you can't shoot? I have cleaned it up some, taken the cobwebs out, bore is actually quite nice, will need a couple parts, etc. But I haven't touched it in months and want to decide my path and begin this project.

The Colt "Thunderer" had a delicate lockwork that had a tendency to break on a regular basis. I don't know how well the lockwork on the aforementioned revolver will work. I would place it in honored retirement.

Scott

TXSlade
03-25-2013, 10:40 PM
Bill, I sent you a PM.