PDA

View Full Version : How much trouble is it to type?

oldred
03-24-2013, 11:55 AM
Folks I understand why acronyms/ Initialisms are common and some things like BP instead of Black Powder are the norm but it has gotten so bad lately that some posts are hard, or nearly impossible, to read. I have just quit reading a post several times because of this and it just happened again, not going to mention the post but it seems nearly every term used was in acronyms/ Initialisms. I know some people are using phones and other devices to post but using an obvious contraction is a much better option than to just assume people will understand just what the dickens you are trying to say!

BTW, while I am on this rant how come it is so many people these days can't seem to see the difference between "there" and "their"? This is a recent thing and looking back over older posts on any forum it's hard to find examples of this but recently it's everywhere, I have even seen it done in mainstream news articles!

DCP
03-24-2013, 11:58 AM
Well he has a point

LOL

Case Stuffer
03-24-2013, 12:12 PM
True many assume that readers here should know bullet profiles such as RN,WC,SWC,HP ,HB etc. and they are really not that hard to find the definations of with a bit of effort. Most Reloading manual have such listed in them.

I murder the english langauge as well as any between bad grammar poor typing and terrible spelling. One of my pet peeves is the now common useage of got instead of have. One of my SM (step mothers) would correct me every time I said something like I got to do my homework. I took two years of journalism in HS (high school) and was on the school's paper staff. We wer taugth that every story was to led with Who,what,when,where and why. Today it seems like no reporters are aware of this.

Texting by cell phone has created a whole new language. LOL use once lots of love and now is laughing out loud, ROFL rolling on the floor laughing , *** used to mean a worthless whatever and now Parent Over Shoulder or perhaps it is PLOS and the list is endless.

Here Boolits is used for cast lead bullets and J word is used for Jacketed bullets.

Perhaps ther should be a acronyms/ Initialisms description Sticky post here and there may very well be one.

jmort
03-24-2013, 12:14 PM
I don't mind shortcuts on the net or texting. I like acronyms. Further or farther? One has to do with distance but most use interchangeably. The world has changed. The youngsters are more likely to know about Rosa Parks as opposed to Samuel Adams. And, that ain't right.

Trey45
03-24-2013, 12:18 PM
Laziness and intentional ignorance. The resources are there for anyone to better their language skills and if they don't, it's intentional. I have no sympathy for the drooling mouth breathers who can't get a job because they can't fill out an application correctly.

Edubya
03-24-2013, 12:21 PM
A lot of our Abbreviations used in Reloading are listed at bottom of this page and every page. Scroll all the way down.

EW

429421Cowboy
03-24-2013, 12:26 PM
I too am left wondering sometimes about the contractions somepeople choose to use instead of typing the word, it shouldn't be that hard! I am guilty of some things, such as IMHO, LOL and a few others, notably SBH when refering to Ruger Super Blackhawk, but i don't make up my own terms to fit the day.
There is a key to common abbreviations used in reloading on the bottom of every page in this forum, that should help anybody having trouble with the basic stuff.
The thing that makes a post hard for me to read is when a combination of no periods, commas, capital letters or spaces run an entire post into one sentance, generally with poor spellling as well. The difference between there, their and they're bothers me, but not enough to make a post hard to read. Neither do things like hte (the, letters out of order) or ad (and, missing a letter) because they happen to all of us as we type occasionally.
I suspect the spelling, puctuation and caps get people because most editions of Word document writers add those things automatically, so they get rid of the habit of hitting the shift key at the beginning of a sentance.

Smitty's Retired
03-24-2013, 12:29 PM
I have three grown daughters and a wife that has become texting fools. I think you will see more of this because there are a couple of generations now that have gotten to where they use text speak more than english. I really hope our younger generation doesn't get to where they depend on this on forums.

I have told my daughters, if they can't call, don't text. I pretty much hate text and texting. When you get a text that says "Hi pops, rec ur msg. B by L8R. <3 ya." Scheesh. I'd rather just talk.

Olevern
03-24-2013, 01:07 PM
it is the result of the dumbing down of the education system. People really don't know the difference between "I want to sell my Winchester model 12" and "I want to sale my Winchester model 12"

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac56/Olevern/castboolits%20adv/18958thgradetest_zps1b7afb6d.jpg

Case Stuffer
03-24-2013, 01:10 PM
There was an article in our local weekly news paper a month or so ago and the writer was shocked that a 14 year old wanted him to read a letter shee had received because she was unable to. Turns out that she could read printing but not script as she was never taught it in the schools she atended elsewhere.

dancingbear41
03-24-2013, 01:17 PM
Well done sir!

I could not agree more. I tend to lose interest if people use too many acronyms. It is just too hard to try to work out what the intitials mean. As it has been pointed out some of the acronyms have changed over the years and things make even less sense.

I endeavour to use correct spelling and grammar as well. I had a colleague who used to use "either" and "neither" in the wrong context. I could not help myself and I corrected her whenever I heard her as I would my children. One day she thanked me for doing so.

I am sure I am a huge PITA to work with.

Simon.

R.M.
03-24-2013, 01:17 PM
Yes some of the spelling and acronyms can be annoying, but what gets me is when someone lists a mold number instead of what it is. A Lyman 123456 mold doesn't tell me much. Now a 45-200 SWC tells me a lot. It might not tell me exactly which 45 200 gr SWC mold it is, but at least I have a better idea.

Charlie Two Tracks
03-24-2013, 01:32 PM
For me, it doesn't matter. I would like to think that the guy typing is trying his best. I honestly don't know beans about punctuation. I struggled with it all through high school and in the end it still didn't make any sense to me. All the other subjects I got down great but not English class. A verb, pronoun and all the other strange words just don't compute to me. I don't want to be the reason someone does not post a question that may really help him on his journey. IMO
I also don't know how to use spell check on this computer. It underlines the word in red and then I know something is wrong. I then type the word in google search and usually find out the correct spelling.

KYCaster
03-24-2013, 01:57 PM
For me, it doesn't matter. I would like to think that the guy typing is trying his best. I honestly don't know beans about punctuation. I struggled with it all through high school and in the end it still didn't make any sense to me. All the other subjects I got down great but not English class. A verb, pronoun and all the other strange words just don't compute to me. I don't want to be the reason someone does not post a question that may really help him on his journey. IMO
I also don't know how to use spell check on this computer. It underlines the word in red and then I know something is wrong. I then type the word in google search and usually find out the correct spelling.

Right click on the underlined word and a window will pop up with a list of possible alternatives.

Jerry

TXGunNut
03-24-2013, 02:02 PM
The question I ask myself before using acronyms and jargon is if the majority of readers use and understand them. I'm aware that some members and visitors are new to this game and try to accomodate them. Misuse of their, there, they're, effect, affect and others bother me but I often discover my fingers didn't get that memo and a careful proofreading is necessary.
Yes, the Queens English is in big trouble today. What passes for education today causes teachers from past generations to shake their heads in disappointment. With the popularity of electronic banking I wonder how many of today's young people could balance a simple checkbook.
Guess I better get off the net, I have a loan I need to amortize (with a pencil & paper!) so I can finish my mom's taxes.

fecmech
03-24-2013, 02:03 PM
I really don't understand a lot of the misspelling of words. When I'm typing a reply, anything that's misspelled is underlined in red. If you right click on it you generally get the correct spelling. I'm not a person who texts or real computer savvy so if I use an abbreviation it's usually after I've typed it out fully beforehand ie. Bullseye = BE.
Whoops- KY beat me to it!

slim1836
03-24-2013, 02:14 PM
I'll have to admit that I do get lost by some of the "standard" acronyms used and therefore lose interest in the message.
Sometimes I can keep up with it, but not always.

Slim

alrighty
03-24-2013, 02:18 PM
I agree with Charlie and yes, I am a complete butcher of the English language.I don't mind the spelling but some of the new abbreviations I do not get.A quick search will usually find the answers I am looking for though.My pet peeve is someone calling a person out for misspelled words. I was raised better than that.To bad some people were not.I am thankful that I do not see many examples of this here.Grammar is a very good thing to have but if I am sharing a boat , a duck blind ,or even a cup of coffee I much prefer the company I keep to have manners over their ability to not have a run on sentence.:holysheep

gnoahhh
03-24-2013, 02:33 PM
Language has been evolving since the first caveman strung three words together to form a complete sentence. What passes for English today shows me that our language is devolving, not evolving.

It used to be that if one failed to cut the mustard in English class, one failed and had to repeat it. That is not the case today. Who should we blame? Not the administration, not the teachers, but instead the blame falls squarely on the shoulders of parents. Parents who don't care (or are too ignorant to see the problem) and who don't petition the schools to knuckle down or, gasp, even take matters into their own hands and teach their children what they aren't getting in school. As long as parents sit idly by, or neglect their responsibility to their kids, the trend of devolving language will continue to worsen.

There is no excuse for poor grammar. The machine you are using to read this contains the means by which you can remedy your grammatical deficiencies. Never before has such powerful means to educate been available to 'everyman', and would that everyman takes advantage of it before he starts pounding away on his keyboard. There really is no excuse for ignorance anymore.

wallenba
03-24-2013, 03:13 PM
Had a little problem the othe day regarding a post here. The original poster (OP) referenced that AR's were availble at LGS. Like an idiot, I googled LGS to locate this retailer. I could not find any stores under the listing LGS. I finally figured out that it meant local gun shop, or local gun show.
Some are in wide use and understood, but occassionally I encounter a new one that sends me looking. It would be a good idea, that the full phrase/name be used, then any subsequent reference could be an acronym.

rhadamanthos12
03-24-2013, 03:30 PM
I stop reading something if I can't decipher it through all the acronyms, shorthand, or sloppiness. The nice thing is at least it gives me an indicator of how much I want to deal with that person.

Alan in Vermont
03-24-2013, 03:58 PM
There is no excuse for poor grammar. The machine you are using to read this contains the means by which you can remedy your grammatical deficiencies. Never before has such powerful means to educate been available to 'everyman', and would that everyman takes advantage of it before he starts pounding away on his keyboard. There really is no excuse for ignorance anymore.

And therein lies at least a part of the issue with the lack of "absorbed education" being widely displayed so often. Relying on the computer to correct your errors means you may know how to operate the computer but not necessarily know on whit about what you are doing.

When a High School graduate has to get a calculator to figure a 20% discount on $100.00 worth of merchandise it is a pretty good example of just what our education system has become.

My approach, when dealing with the typed pidgin so common now, is that if I have to decode it figure out what the trained bear means I will not reply (if I even bother to read it all) no matter how much information I might be able to offer.

My own typing suffers from a partly unresponsive left hand so I have to proofread pretty carefully. Again, I wonder how many reading this have no idea what "proofreading" means.

I wonder if the lack of language skills, both verbal and written, are why we see so many questions that could be answered, easier than asking here, by opening a loading manual and reading the information there. It's probably difficult to comprehend written technical information when you are barely literate.

Love Life
03-24-2013, 04:18 PM
OMG LOL. IDK Y U R worried. GTG TTYL.

jcwit
03-24-2013, 04:54 PM
I stop reading something if I can't decipher it through all the acronyms, shorthand, or sloppiness. The nice thing is at least it gives me an indicator of how much I want to deal with that person.

Same with me.

One of the other things that gets under my skin is the "Me and my Dad". "Me and by friend", Me and my whatever". Since when did "me" become important, I was always taught it should be "My Dad and I", or "My - - - - - and I".

Remember the world does not revolve around you, as in "Me".

LUBEDUDE
03-24-2013, 04:55 PM
Besides acronyms and abbreviations, why can't some folks use the darn spacebar?

Ever heard of paragraphs?

When I see a post that is 3 + inches deep with NO spaces between ANY sentences, whether it looks to be interesting, or no matter who(m?) wrote it, I skip it.

I read the forum to relax, my eyes are getting older, reading gets harder every day, don't make me work at it, please.

oldred
03-24-2013, 04:55 PM
Laziness and intentional ignorance.

I am afraid the intentional ignorance may be one of the biggest problems, an example is when "there" is used for "their". I am almost certain this is often intentional because some may think it's "cutesy" when it in fact just looks plain dumb. The reason I think it's (it's just one example but seems to be the one used the most) likely intentional is that it seems to be a new trend that was rarely seen even a year or so ago and very often the person will use "there" for "their" and then do it the other way around in the same paragraph! Bad spelling or even bad grammar is not a problem and I am not complaining about that (actually this entire thread was not to complain but just to discuss a subject to get other opinions) and it would be extremely rude to complain about spelling and such, what I am talking about is when it's obvious the poster knows better. It may be true that explanations for abbreviations are at the bottom of the page or that they are easy to look up but that's no excuse, really should a person have to stop reading and start looking for an explanation of just what the heck the poster is saying? Obviously not and apparently several others just do as I do and skip over it, point being why bother posting if people won't bother reading? IMO this "dumbing down" thing should be embarrassing when we post because the whole world can read what we write but unfortunately too many just don't care. Bad grammar can simply be annoying sometimes but over doing of abbreviation/initialization is far more than just an annoyance, it can ruin a poster's message.

Just to be clear I am NOT picking at anyone in particular and certainly not singling out this group, in fact overall the folks here are not nearly as guilty as some of the non-firearms forums I visit.

R.M.
03-24-2013, 05:16 PM
Imo?????????? :-)

David2011
03-24-2013, 05:28 PM
I'm one of those who can spell and have decent grammar skills although 40 years past high school the hard and fast rules of grammar have long since been forgotten but I still can't type and spend more time correcting my errors than writing somethng to begin with.

Since the subject is open, is "prolly" a cutesy word, an abbreviation or do people just not know the proper word and when did we lose the difference between then and than?

David

Alvarez Kelly
03-24-2013, 05:40 PM
I can spell. I just can't type...

I'll admit it... I couldn't figure out where the nearest location of that big chain store "LGS" was for a LONG time...

03-24-2013, 05:42 PM
I put the blame on poor parenting, a dysfunctional and federally involved educational system, laziness, lack of pride, and our slowly decaying moral and social ethics and standards.

The other day, I was reading a thread that was started by a new member -- in fact, it was his first post. One of the forum's long standing members replied, offering much valuable advise. However, his use of acronyms left me wondering if the new member knew what they stood for and what he was trying to say.

Almost always, I will type the entire work, for instance semi-wadcutter. I, too, though that LGS was a regional sporting goods store, and thought how great it would be to have a local store. I can overlook the occasional misspelling and lack of proper punctuation, as I can be guilty of those kinds of mistakes, as well. I've seen several posts that lacked all capitalization and punctuation, and quit reading them.

Oh, well . . .

Matt_G
03-24-2013, 06:00 PM
What passes for education today causes teachers from past generations to shake their heads in disappointment. With the popularity of electronic banking I wonder how many of today's young people could balance a simple checkbook.

The ones that can balance a checkbook are a small minority.

Relying on the computer to correct your errors means you may know how to operate the computer but not necessarily know one whit about what you are doing.

When a High School graduate has to get a calculator to figure a 20% discount on $100.00 worth of merchandise it is a pretty good example of just what our education system has become.
It is quite sad actually. The dumbing down taking place in the public education system is staggering.
Try this next time you are at the store. (My wife absolutely hates it when I do this...)
Wait till they have rung up the sale and then give them the pennies.
Here is an example of what I mean; I did this just this morning.
Went to Ace Hardware to buy some bolts, nuts, washers, etc.
Twenty something kid rang it up and it totaled $2.37.
Handed him a five.
Register tells him my change is $2.63.
Then I handed him two pennies, and watched him totally melt down.

He had no idea what to do.
I tried to explain it to him but he didn't get it at all.
He ended up voiding the transaction and redoing it.
That is the usual reaction when I do this. Maybe one out ten can handle it.

How sad is that?
I wouldn't have gotten out of the third grade without being able to do that!
But now they don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.
"Two plus two can be whatever you want little Johnny, just as long as you feel good about yourself." [smilie=b:

oldred
03-24-2013, 06:14 PM
Imo?????????? :-)

That was intentional to see if someone would catch it (Honestly!) and it sure didn't take long! :p

The point is some abbreviations are "the norm" but to abbreviate/initialization uncommon words or phrases and to do it multiple times in even the same sentence can make a message not only annoying but often nearly impossible to understand.

Love Life
03-24-2013, 06:16 PM
So far we have discussed terrible spelling, grammar, and punctuation. We have discussed the lack of spaces between sentences. Oh, and indentions.

We have discussed how poor our education system has become and the resulting consequences on our youth. Now we can discuss when the Department of Education was started, and where all the people who are so disgusted with it were when it was created. We can also discuss what the generations prior to Generation Y and Z did to turn the education system around once they realized it had become a Socialist indoctrination program. Go...

perotter
03-24-2013, 06:28 PM
When in Rome, do as the Romans.

For the most part, I go to two different gun related forums. Each has it's own culture, age range, etc. Here I try to spend more time avoiding typing what the normal for the other forum.

Recluse
03-24-2013, 06:30 PM

I'm with Charlie on this--100%.

I have two undergraduate degrees and two graduate degrees. For 20 years, I wrote for a living in Madison Avenue. I've written three books now--two non-fiction (business/marketing books under a pseudonym) and most recently a novel.

I paid a lot of money for my editor to go through each of the 140,000 words in the manuscript, then I offered the manuscript up here for some test-readers. The readers HERE caught many mistakes in punctuation, spelling, word usage, etc that a high-dollar editor missed.

I come here to read and discuss boolits and reloading and related things along with the occasional oddball off-topic discussion. I don't come here to critique anyone's grammar or spelling or use of acronyms. There are a few members here that really struggle to communicate with the written word, but trust me--if you just skip them because they are often hard to read, you are missing out on some damned good information.

There/their, to/too, your/you're, blah blah blah. I don't care who you are, those kind of mistakes are going to happen. If one can't look past that for the context of the message rather than the style of the message, you are (note I didn't use your/you're just nobody got their knickers in a wad) missing out.

And that is the bottom line.

:coffee:

oldred
03-24-2013, 06:33 PM
I put the blame on poor parenting, a dysfunctional and federally involved educational system, laziness, lack of pride, and our slowly decaying moral and social ethics and standards.

I can overlook the occasional misspelling and lack of proper punctuation, as I can be guilty of those kinds of mistakes, as well. I've seen several posts that lacked all capitalization and punctuation, and quit reading them.

Oh, well . . .

I quoted part of your post because it says it better than I could! Especially the part about laziness, lack of pride, and our slowly decaying moral and social ethics and standards, and ESPECIALLY lack of pride!

Personally I probably would not even notice some misspelling and minor punctuation errors because it would be unreasonable to expect everyone to do it perfectly, I know I certainly don't, and even really poor spelling/punctuation can be overlooked if it's obvious the poster is trying. It's the "they bought "there" ammo at the gun shop over "their" across the street and it was "prolly" the cheapest in town" that looks so stupid. "Prolly" has been around for a couple of years now but a year or so ago "there" used for "their" was almost never seen but now it seems like everyone is doing it so it must be intentional most of the time, why do people intentionally want to look dumb?

David2011
03-24-2013, 06:38 PM
So far we have discussed terrible spelling, grammar, and punctuation. We have discussed the lack of spaces between sentences. Oh, and indentions.

Go...

Seems like there was a stylization change that evolved around 1970 give or take a few years; maybe it was more recent than that. I had an old word processing program in the '80's that really improved my writing skills. It harshly pointed out grammar, punctuation, spelling and formatting errors. I was still indenting paragraphs and it corrected me on that. I did a little checking around and sure 'nuf, paragraphs were no longer indented.

I really didn't like Mrs. Eska, a high school English teacher who was surely a descendant of Atilla the Hun. When I read the ramblings elsewhere on the Internet I am so grateful today that she treated us all like we would be English majors. Compred to other sites, it's not too bad here. The state of education today makes me sad. Its products are running for State and National legislative positions. THAT is frightening and we see the results on the left side of the aisle.

David

oldred
03-24-2013, 06:46 PM

As I said several times it doesn't really matter when a person is really trying or even if he/she is just making common mistakes but this type of thing is easily distinguishable from what I was talking about. It's the over use of abbreviations/initializations of uncommon phrases or words and the obviously intentional grammar errors that's looks so bad on the poster. I really don't care how bad spelling and punctuation is if it's the best a person can do and I would never complain about that but when it's intentional it gets more than just annoying!

TXGunNut
03-24-2013, 07:02 PM
Sometime during my unremarkable college career I bought a Harbrace College Handbook, it was listed as required for an English course but we never used it. At the end of the semester the bookstore wouldn't buy it back. Seems they weren't going to be using it anymore. Sign of the times.
It's actually pretty useful....or would be if I knew how or cared to use it. My efforts to write may be pretty rough around the edges (and most other places as well) but ya'll ought to hear me tawk, yald think I was a country bumpkin or sumthin.

MtGun44
03-24-2013, 07:05 PM
No problem with the original point, and text gibberish is a real pain.
However - one post about using Lyman mold numbers is off base IMO. (In my opinion).
If you don't know what a 358429 or 452454 is - well, either look it up on Castpics
or maybe get a new hobby. Sorry - 158 SWC is way, way less useful in the context
of an advanced, specialized hobby site like this one.

In MOST cases the point being made is specific to the particular design and is
usually NOT relavant to a generic 158 SWC or 250 SWC. I will not dumb down
the discussion for the uninformed. Look it up.

Bill

oldred
03-24-2013, 07:09 PM
The state of education today makes me sad. Its products are running for State and National legislative positions. THAT is frightening and we see the results on the left side of the aisle.David

It is scary and what's even scarier is people who just brush off and ignore this kind of thing or even worse defend it!

An example was a few years ago a fellow I know was trying for one of the relatively high paying mining jobs here but he, to put it bluntly, looked like a total,,,,,actually it's hard to describe. He had a rather large silver ring through one eyebrow, various tattoos and a rather strange (to say the least!) hair style. He was saying that one of the interviewers, after he turned him down for the job, told him that changing his appearance might help his chances with other job interviews. This guy was really ticked off that someone had the audacity to tell him his appearance was inappropriate then he looked at me and said "I have a right to look the way I want to and they don't have any right to tell me how dress or cut my hair"! I told him that I agree that he most certainly does have a right to choose his lifestyle but he misunderstood the interviewer, the guy doing the hiring for that mine was not telling him to change anything he was simply telling the guy "we don't want you". The point is a person has the right to appear however they want to other people in how they present themselves in appearance or how they choose to write, or in the case of this thread post a message, but they do not have the right to expect people to accept their unorthodox ways. Unintentional errors may be acceptable but intentional abuse is not.

dragon813gt
03-24-2013, 07:15 PM
I don't mind the acronyms and misspellings. But the lack of punctuation and sentence structure bothers me to no end. I'm guilty of some scatter brained posts that switch topics often. But I use commas and periods. And most importantly I try to break thoughts into paragraphs. When I see a long winded post w/ no punctuation and it's all one paragraph I skip over it.

I'm sure I've missed some valuable information. But I've grown tired of trying to decipher what the post is about. It happens on every forum and isn't new. I really don't blame texting. I blame people being downright lazy or they possibly weren't taught properly.

R.M.
03-24-2013, 07:54 PM
Well, I'm sorry that I'm not as informed as some of you are. I guess if I have to start looking these mold numbers up...... no, I just won't do it. Just not that important to me. So be it.

10x
03-24-2013, 08:02 PM
OMG LOL. IDK Y U R worried. GTG TTYL.

Well that certainly sums something up very eloquently!

oldred
03-24-2013, 08:24 PM
Well that certainly sums something up very eloquently!

It's actually not much worse than some of the posts I was referring to!

375RUGER
03-24-2013, 08:53 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?107406-Abbreviations-As-Used-on-This-Forum&highlight=abbreviations

and since we're on the subject of typing, do ya'll really say "prolly" or do you just type it that way?

MtGun44
03-24-2013, 08:55 PM
Willful, intentional ignorance is an interesting concept.

Bill

dakotashooter2
03-24-2013, 09:01 PM
If I know I am going to be using acronyms quite a bit I will usually write the full word for its first use with the acronym in parenthesis then use the acronym after that.............

Down South
03-24-2013, 09:06 PM
This will probably be funny to some but I guess I'm also showing my ignorance of some acronyms.
When Sandy Hook went down and supplies started drying up, there was a thread about a lot of folks finding what they needed at the LGS. I got to thinking that there must be a chain store out there that I could not put a finger on so I asked the stupid question, what is LGS? OK, now an old country boy like me found out that the Local Gun Store/Shop is not a chain store.

But like others, I stumble on some acronyms.

oldred
03-24-2013, 09:12 PM

Bill

Willful, intentional ignorance is a disgraceful concept.

03-24-2013, 09:29 PM

Willful, intentional ignorance is a disgraceful concept.

Both of those quotes are 100 percent correct, and I think they dovetail with that part of my earlier post than mentioned pride.

I can't imagine being involved with any hobby, or job, for that matter, and refusing to learn its various aspects. "Hmmm . . . I wonder what the difference is between this powder and that one?, but I don't want to learn."

montana_charlie
03-24-2013, 09:33 PM
When someone corrects my grammar or spelling, I thank them.

CM

waksupi
03-24-2013, 09:48 PM
I try to type and punctuate correctly here on the board. I try to save all of my really lousy spelling and punctuation for the chat room.

oneokie
03-24-2013, 10:10 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?107406-Abbreviations-As-Used-on-This-Forum&highlight=abbreviations

and since we're on the subject of typing, do ya'll really say "prolly" or do you just type it that way?

For me, it depends on the location and the company. I type it out "proly".

Recluse
03-24-2013, 10:23 PM
It is scary and what's even scarier is people who just brush off and ignore this kind of thing or even worse defend it!

An example was a few years ago a fellow I know was trying for one of the relatively high paying mining jobs here but he, to put it bluntly, looked like a total,,,,,actually it's hard to describe. He had a rather large silver ring through one eyebrow, various tattoos and a rather strange (to say the least!) hair style. He was saying that one of the interviewers, after he turned him down for the job, told him that changing his appearance might help his chances with other job interviews. This guy was really ticked off that someone had the audacity to tell him his appearance was inappropriate then he looked at me and said "I have a right to look the way I want to and they don't have any right to tell me how dress or cut my hair"! I told him that I agree that he most certainly does have a right to choose his lifestyle but he misunderstood the interviewer, the guy doing the hiring for that mine was not telling him to change anything he was simply telling the guy "we don't want you". The point is a person has the right to appear however they want to other people in how they present themselves in appearance or how they choose to write, or in the case of this thread post a message, but they do not have the right to expect people to accept their unorthodox ways. Unintentional errors may be acceptable but intentional abuse is not.

An example was a few years ago. A fellow I know was trying for one of the relatively high paying mining jobs here but he, to put it bluntly, looked like a total ***. Actually it's hard to describe. He had a rather large silver ring through one eyebrow, various tattoos and a rather strange (to say the least!) hair style.

He was saying that one of the interviewers, after he turned him down for the job, told him that changing his appearance might help his chances with other job interviews. This guy was really ticked off that someone had the audacity to tell him his appearance was inappropriate then he looked at me and said "I have a right to look the way I want to and they don't have any right to tell me how dress or cut my hair!"

I told him that I agree that he most certainly does have a right to choose his lifestyle but he misunderstood the interviewer. The guy doing the hiring for that mine was not telling him to change anything--he was simply telling the guy "we don't want you."

The point is a person has the right to appear however they want to other people in how they present themselves in appearance or how they choose to write--or in the case of this thread post a message--but they do not have the right to expect people to accept their unorthodox ways. Unintentional errors may be acceptable but intentional abuse is not.

###

Fixed all your errors for you. Go back to Windexing your glass house.

waksupi
03-24-2013, 10:52 PM
The one area I really hate to see misspelled words here, are in a topic title. Some of them are totally baffling, as to what the person is inquiring or commenting about.

Down South
03-24-2013, 11:23 PM
I've made a typo in a title that I didn't catch a time or two at most but it's too late once you click the button.
I do try to make myself understandable to the general public.

fryboy
03-25-2013, 12:04 AM
[sigh] i love this topic - and the many various other ones just like it !!! why ? well for the humor of course ...
paragraphs do not indent in this electronic maze and i actually speak american , what i type however ... is more akin to spanglish ( or something else apparently just as if not even more sinister ) does my typing reflect on my cooking and eating skills ? or even my reloading skills and or abilities ? some think so [shrugz], some think that the queen's english is the only proper way to talk/type/text/live/etc , good for them !! i'm willing to meet in the somewhere in the middle and i've never been opposed to looking up a word ( or acronym or umm mold # ) i dont know . it's part of MY learning process , is my typing good ? ha - not even great lolz ( yes sir, lolz is more than a mere grin - it's plural ;) )
i've seen quite a few humorous "auto-correct"s , many brought into being by i-fones and assorted other electronic devices . to be fair my comprehension is much much better than my typing skills ( erm lack of typing skills ) but i'm not envious of the great typers as we all have our strengths and weaknesses , one thing i have noted is over the years my typing and grammar has improved . i note this yet i've not heard it once from another person , that leaves me suggesting that as opposed to just the "stick" try the "carrot" approach sometime , heck who knows it may even work :D

wallenba
03-25-2013, 12:23 AM
If you notice, in a lot of my posts, you will note that it has been edited. I make spelling and grammatical mistakes often. I re-read and go back to make corrections. I am aware too, that I have words in my vocabulary that I don't know I'm spelling wrong. Only when I see them in other posts do I question it. But in the end, the big question is...did everyone understand what I was trying to say? If so, then it's OK.
Many phrases I read here seem to have regional origins as well. In my neck of the woods. one never hears, "good on you". But I get the meaning clearly. Some say soda, we say pop.

snuffy
03-25-2013, 02:11 AM
Taken off another gun related board at one time;

I went shooting with my xxx semi auto. I had two FTF 3 FTE and a couple the worked correctly. So what did he say? FTF could mean failure to feed, or it could mean failure fire. His second problem , FTE could mean failure to eject, or maybe it meant failure to extract? Right?

That right there is impossible to diagnose his problem until he explains exactly what he means.

For forming paragraphs, when you get to the end of a complete though, hit enter TWICE! A paragraph should seldom be more that five lines in on of these text boxes.

oldred
03-25-2013, 06:06 AM

An example was a few years ago. A fellow I know was trying for one of the relatively high paying mining jobs here but he, to put it bluntly, looked like a total ***. Actually it's hard to describe. He had a rather large silver ring through one eyebrow, various tattoos and a rather strange (to say the least!) hair style.

He was saying that one of the interviewers, after he turned him down for the job, told him that changing his appearance might help his chances with other job interviews. This guy was really ticked off that someone had the audacity to tell him his appearance was inappropriate then he looked at me and said "I have a right to look the way I want to and they don't have any right to tell me how dress or cut my hair!"

I told him that I agree that he most certainly does have a right to choose his lifestyle but he misunderstood the interviewer. The guy doing the hiring for that mine was not telling him to change anything--he was simply telling the guy "we don't want you."

The point is a person has the right to appear however they want to other people in how they present themselves in appearance or how they choose to write--or in the case of this thread post a message--but they do not have the right to expect people to accept their unorthodox ways. Unintentional errors may be acceptable but intentional abuse is not.

###

Fixed all your errors for you. Go back to Windexing your glass house.

Two things, except for a few UNINTENTIONAL punctuation errors the only "error" I see that you attempted to fix was not an error at all and in fact changed the context of what I was writing. The other thing is that even with me explaining several times that I was not chiding ANYONE over unintentional errors and I even said it was unrealistic to expect everyone to get everything perfect (I even said I certainly make errors) you still smugly ignore that and accuse me of putting myself in a "glass house"! There were no abbreviations/initializations of any uncommon (or even common) words or phrases and certainly no intentional "errors" such as we have been discussing, there were none of the things in that post I have been talking about so what exactly is your point?

Ajax
03-25-2013, 06:51 AM
I personally don't care how people type. This is a casting and reloading site, not a English class. If you don't like what you read ignore it. The use of abbreviations and acronyms can get annoying. I am not one to use many of them in open forum if I do I spell the word out first and put the acronym in parenthesis. That being said, we all make mistakes and I find it down right arrogant for someone to point out another's mistake when they themselves make them on occasion.

Andy

oldred
03-25-2013, 07:04 AM
That being said, we all make mistakes and I find it down right arrogant for someone to point out another's mistake when they themselves make them on occasion.

Andy

One more time, no one is pointing out MISTAKES, this thread was never about MISTAKES! No one is chiding ANYONE for unintentional misspellings, bad punctuation or other common errors and in fact it has been pointed out repeatedly that no one is doing this! Why is it so hard to understand that this post was about over use of abbreviations/initializations to the point that some have trouble understanding a post and about INTENTIONAL abuse.

Ajax
03-25-2013, 07:08 AM
My statement was not directed at the thread itself it was a generalized statement.

Andy

oldred
03-25-2013, 07:16 AM
Sorry I took it the wrong way, too much coffee this morning I guess. I have never corrected anyone for spelling or any other errors and I often make the same mistakes a lot of other folks do but I at least try, as does most everyone else here.

Lloyd Smale
03-25-2013, 07:22 AM
Go away grammer police. Your not needed. this is a cast bullet fourm not an english forum. If I misspell words so badly that you cant understand the advice im giving then complain. If its just a matter of you thinking your somehow are a superior bullet caster whos knowlege is worth more then mine because you take the time to spell right or punctuate correctly then youd best check your ego at the door.

Lloyd Smale
03-25-2013, 07:26 AM
funny you use the abreviation BTW in your own post. ;)
Folks I understand why acronyms/ Initialisms are common and some things like BP instead of Black Powder are the norm but it has gotten so bad lately that some posts are hard, or nearly impossible, to read. I have just quit reading a post several times because of this and it just happened again, not going to mention the post but it seems nearly every term used was in acronyms/ Initialisms. I know some people are using phones and other devices to post but using an obvious contraction is a much better option than to just assume people will understand just what the dickens you are trying to say!

BTW, while I am on this rant how come it is so many people these days can't seem to see the difference between "there" and "their"? This is a recent thing and looking back over older posts on any forum it's hard to find examples of this but recently it's everywhere, I have even seen it done in mainstream news articles!

oldred
03-25-2013, 07:41 AM
Go away grammer police. Your not needed. this is a cast bullet fourm not an english forum. If I misspell words so badly that you cant understand the advice im giving then complain. If its just a matter of you thinking your somehow are a superior bullet caster whos knowlege is worth more then mine because you take the time to spell right or punctuate correctly then youd best check your ego at the door.

No apparently it's YOU who don't get it, I guess I just can't make some understand that this was NEVER about misspellings or unintentional grammar errors.

funny you use the abreviation BTW in your own post.

Pointing out the abbreviation I made is meaningless, I have repeatedly said over use of and/or use for uncommon phrases or words is the problem, most of us use abbreviations for common words/phrases and there's nothing wrong with that.

VintageRifle
03-25-2013, 07:50 AM
A lot of our Abbreviations used in Reloading are listed at bottom of this page and every page. Scroll all the way down.

EW

Not if you are using Tapatalk for your phone.

BTW, DUCDB? ICDB.

10x
03-25-2013, 08:16 AM
I've made a typo in a title that I didn't catch a time or two at most but it's too late once you click the button.
I do try to make myself understandable to the general public.

The person who starts a thread can edit the title in the "go advanced" editing mode.
Folks who reply can sort of edit titles but I am not sure of the point.
I added "Editing Titles to correct errors" to the title section of this "go advanced" edit.

MBTcustom
03-25-2013, 08:33 AM
I have an opinion, and I mean no offence to anyone.
I am terrible with spelling. I am a pretty fair hand at writing, but I always have to clean up after what I splashed all over the page getting my thoughts down. Spell check is my friend.
I am a little perplexed by this "willful and intentional ignorance" concept that has been thrown around here.
Misspelling and grammar mistakes are neither intentional, nor willful. However, reading what someone has written in modern abbreviation, and not taking the time to educate yourself as to the meaning, is both willful and intentional resistance to education.
I hate to break it to you, but language evolves. If you really want to do it right, speak in Old Kings English. That is the root of our language isn't it? So you are actually contributing to the bastardization of the original language (which was a much more effective and eloquent method of communication.) However, if thou didst actually heed my advice and reform thine tongue to render thine thoughts with more eloquent clarity, thou wouldst be hated by both the grammatically modern conservative, and the modern liberal.
So language is a constantly improving, adapting thing, and what was once unable to be found in the dictionary, is now being defended as "proper English" by hypocrites on their high horse.
The English language is the most adaptable language ever devised by man. Words can be made up on the spot in a pinch (Two of my personal favorites: Booliteers, and fellers) and if they work well enough, they stick.
Now, we see the English language has been adapted to tiny devices with even tinier keys, that are hard to use. Abbreviations have been made so that women with long fingernails and men with big sausage fingers, can get the point across without spending twice as long composing their thoughts. This "utility inspired" shorthand works well for those that understand it, and has become common even on forums such as this.
You can bet your bottom dollar that some of these things will become a permanent fixture in our language, and any child that does not learn them is at a severe communicative disadvantage. You fellers that preach "willful and intentional ignorance" are feeling the heat already. You are unwilling to learn, and you intend to keep others from adapting as well.
The hypocrisy is thick.

gnoahhh
03-25-2013, 09:31 AM
Interesting thoughts all.

Let us not forget that the primary reason for language is to communicate. (Gum flappers who just like to hear themselves talk not withstanding.) If what we put to paper (or electronic screen) is unintelligible, rude, nonsensical, or obscene to even one reader we have failed in our communication.

That is also why we have rules for grammar and proper spelling- to create an even playing field that allows for universal communication. Cryptic anagrams, slang, and regional color are all well and good if used within their niche audiences but have no place in a national/international public forum (if one's goal is to effectively communicate).

Case in point:
Nothing pleases my ears more than hearing a syrupy Mississippi accent, and a Cockney accent is downright musical, but if those accents were applied phonetically to written words on a forum they become a source of irritation and effective communication is lost.

Save the shorthand for quick texts with your kids. (If you must. My family members know to call me if they truly want me to respond to the message.) Save the regional patois for when gassing with the boys down at the gun shop or the bar.

DCP
03-25-2013, 09:54 AM
Plus 1

Seems to me, some people just love to bitch, about just about anything.

I guess I just can't make some understand that this was NEVER about misspellings or unintentional grammar errors.

I have repeatedly said over use of and/or use for uncommon phrases or words is the problem, most of us use abbreviations for common words/phrases and there's no6thing wrong with that.

oldred
03-25-2013, 10:24 AM
The person who starts a thread can edit the title in the "go advanced" editing mode.

Thank you! Twice in recent times I have had a mod edit a title for me because I did not know this and I in fact have one I need to fix now that was posted a few days ago, sometimes I fail to look at the title when proof reading before posting.

montana_charlie
03-25-2013, 10:38 AM
I will continue to offer corrections for any who might appreciate having the information.
If people choose to ignore them, that is another example of Goodsteel's "willful and intentional ignorance".
If they are angered, they are too good at playing the left's 'instant victim' game.

A poster recently said he found a 'gym' at the shooting range.
The word was spelled correctly, so 'spellcheck' saw no problem, but my brain did.

I left a one word reply '... gem ...'

Later in the thread he said 'sorry, damn spell check'.
There was no need for the 'sorry'. One doesn't need to apologize for making an error of this kind.
'Thanks' would be sufficient.

But, next time he finds a veritable jewel, he will probably not describe it as a gymnasium.

CM

badgeredd
03-25-2013, 11:28 AM
oldred,

For what it is worth, I feel your pain. It is NOT about an occasional misspelled word, a typo, or a punctuation error. It is about being able to read a post without having to have a decoder book at one's elbow. There is one thread that pops into my mind that has so many acronyms and abbreviations in it that one can get lost just trying to decipher it, let alone understand it.

I agree that some of the instantly made up abbreviations are a pain in the **** and often detracts from the post when it comes to clarity of the statement or question. We grumpy old farts just don't need to try and learn a new language while we are pursuing a hobby.

Edd

300winmag
03-25-2013, 11:35 AM
OK, what is this (Prolly)? I have seen it and have no clue.

Love Life
03-25-2013, 11:42 AM
However, if thou didst actually heed my advice and reform thine tongue to render thine thoughts with more eloquent clarity, thou wouldst be hated by both the grammatically modern conservative, and the modern liberal.
So language is a constantly improving, adapting thing, and what was once unable to be found in the dictionary, is now being defended as "proper English" by hypocrites on their high horse.

Let us look at the word "Crunk."

From Merriam-Webster:
crunknoun \ˈkrəŋk\
Definition of CRUNK
: a style of Southern rap music featuring repetitive chants and rapid dance rhythms
Origin of CRUNK
crunk, word of fluctuating meaning used during the 1990s in lyrics of the rap groups OutKast and Lil Jon & The East Side Boyz
First Known Use: 2000

From Dictionary.com:
crunk/krʌŋk/ Show Spelled [kruhngk] Show IPA
noun
1. a type of hip-hop originating in the southern U.S. and characterized by heavy bass and call-and-response vocals.
adjective
2. Slang.
a. excited; full of energy.
b. drunk and high on drugs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Origin:
1990-95; perhaps cr(azy) + (dr)unk

Used in a sentence: "We gon' get crunk all up in here!!"

So the word crunk is a combo of crazy and drunk. So instead of saying "I am going to get crazy drunk tonight." You would say "I'm gonna get crunk!"

Just a little example of how the language changes.

Case Stuffer
03-25-2013, 11:56 AM
et us look at the word "Crunk."

So what does it mean when I say I Crunk up the car?

Here I was thinking it meant I had started the engine.;-)

wallenba
03-25-2013, 11:58 AM
Ultimately it boils down to just one thing for me. Do I understand what the poster is trying to convey? Most of the time, yes. Sometimes I have asked for clarification. If they don't make an effort, I don't bother to help further. Not that I don't care, but if they can't put forth the effort, they must not care enough.
I have spent 37 years of my life working in the auto industry here in the Detroit area. I have learned how to communicate with the ah...locals, who seem to have their own version of English. So, typos and casual grammar are a minor irritant to me.

Love Life
03-25-2013, 11:58 AM
No sir. You are crazy drunking the car according to the dictionary...

Love Life
03-25-2013, 12:00 PM
I will continue to offer corrections for any who might appreciate having the information.
If people choose to ignore them, that is another example of Goodsteel's "willful and intentional ignorance".
If they are angered, they are too good at playing the left's 'instant victim' game.

A poster recently said he found a 'gym' at the shooting range.
The word was spelled correctly, so 'spellcheck' saw no problem, but my brain did.

I left a one word reply '... gem ...'

Later in the thread he said 'sorry, damn spell check'.
There was no need for the 'sorry'. One doesn't need to apologize for making an error of this kind.
'Thanks' would be sufficient.

But, next time he finds a veritable jewel, he will probably not describe it as a gymnasium.

CM

I see you are still stalking people... :-)

Down South
03-25-2013, 12:29 PM

Hey Lloyd, that's you're or you are. LOL:kidding::kidding:

jcwit
03-25-2013, 12:34 PM
I think I'm getting it now. It makes no difference if I call a "clip" a "magazine" or a "magazne" a "clip".

Maybe a "gun" is a "rifle" or is a "rifle" a "gun". Just what is a "gun".

Just guessing. WEFYB or WEMYH

Maybe me and my wife will figer it out.

Charlie, can you fix this?

montana_charlie
03-25-2013, 12:42 PM
Charlie, can you fix this?
I can't decipher 'WEFYB or WEMYH', and I won't try.
As for 'figer' ...
If you want the colloquial version, it's 'figger', but if you want the real word, it's 'figure'.

Your sentence about your wife and you could be more properly worded by saying, "I and my wife will figure it out."
The grammatical mistake is not that you placed yourself ahead of your wife in the sentence.
It was your use of the pronoun 'me'.

The key to that choice works this way ...
If you are to be the only one 'figuring it out', you would use 'I'. Adding your wife doesn't change that.

The reverse of that error is also frequently seen. Which of these two sentences is correct?

My wife and I would like to have that figured out.
I hope somebody can figure that out for my wife and I.

You're welcome ...

CM

jcwit
03-25-2013, 12:50 PM
I can't decipher 'WEFYB or WEMYH', and I won't try.
As for 'figer' ...
If you want the colloquial version, it's 'figger', but if you want the real word, it's 'figure'.

You're welcome ...

CM

WEFYB=What ever floats your boat

WEMYH=What ever makes you happy

Thax for korectin the figer word.:kidding:

Arkansas Paul
03-25-2013, 12:59 PM
The only thing that grinds my gears is when people don't capitalize and punctuate. No capital letters to begin sentences and no periods or question marks at the end really make a paragraph hard to read. When I come across one like that, I just move along.

Recluse
03-25-2013, 01:06 PM
Two things, except for a few UNINTENTIONAL punctuation errors the only "error" I see that you attempted to fix was not an error at all and in fact changed the context of what I was writing. The other thing is that even with me explaining several times that I was not chiding ANYONE over unintentional errors and I even said it was unrealistic to expect everyone to get everything perfect (I even said I certainly make errors) you still smugly ignore that and accuse me of putting myself in a "glass house"! There were no abbreviations/initializations of any uncommon (or even common) words or phrases and certainly no intentional "errors" such as we have been discussing, there were none of the things in that post I have been talking about so what exactly is your point?

My "point," pal, is that I detest intellectual snobbery and self-anointed intellectual superiority in any context, but especially in places like this where our membership comes from a wide array of backgrounds--including educational backgrounds.

I received an e-mail from one of my book readers that was very gracious and appreciative. At the end, he apologized for his lack of proper grammar and spelling. Seems he had to drop out of high school to help his mom pay bills because dad took off for parts unknown.

Funny thing is, I concentrated more on the content of his message rather than the window-dressing of spelling and punctuation and formatting.

Oldred, if you want to compare intellectual backgrounds and abilities--mine versus yours--I'll be your Huckleberry. But you'll be hard-pressed to wade through any post of mine and find where I've whined or griped or disparaged anyone for their lack of spelling or grammar or punctuation abilities.

You and a few other of the pseudo-intellectual snobs claim "laziness" or "willful ignorance." If it bothers you so much, put the people on Ignore, just as I'm putting you there when this discussion is over.

We cast boolits here. We reload cartridges. We hunt. We fish. A large number of us are veterans and some of us went on to college by way of a GI bill or VEAP program, others came home and went straight to work because the bills had piled up while they were away fighting for their country. Some of us learned proper grammar, some of us didn't.

What we do not need here at Cast Boolits are intellectual alpha-hotels looking to constantly whine and gripe and put other members down because their writing abilities may not be up to your lofty standards, which by the way, have some problems and issues of their own--which is why I recommended that you continue to Windex your glass house before you going tossing red edit pens at others.

We already have enough police in this country. We don't need the damned Grammar Gestapo or Punctuation Police around here. Don't want them, either.

If you have that big of a problem with the way some members write or communicate, then either ignore them or get the hell out of here and go find somewhere else to whine.

oldred
03-25-2013, 01:53 PM
My "point," pal, is that I detest intellectual snobbery and self-anointed intellectual superiority in any context,

And where do I come across like that? If you take the time to actually read everything I said I repeatedly pointed out that what you are accusing me of was not my intention. I have never "corrected" anyone here or on any other forum and I made it very plain that was NOT what this thread was about! Now listen closely, one more time- this thread is and has been from the start about over use of abbreviation/initialization for UNCOMMON words and phrases to the point that it makes a post hard to understand and I also pointed out that apparently some choose to INTENTIONALLY abuse certain words. Not once did I correct anyone or point to anyone or any forum nor did I in any way complain about unintentional misspelling or bad grammar, I even went so far as to say that simple misspelling and bad grammar is not a problem. I in fact specifically said I was not singling out anyone I was simply discussing a trend and never once did I even suggest correcting anyone. Several others here had no trouble understanding what I meant and I have no doubt you did too but you choose to distort what I said for whatever are your reasons. Go ahead and play your silly little game but for the snobbery part you need to take a look in a mirror!

Lloyd Smale
03-25-2013, 02:00 PM
Some here need to get a life if the only thing they have to complain about is a couple misspelled words or a missing capital letter. Must be hell being so superior. Sure glad im down to earth and can see someone with less education and a bit less polished as still being my equal. I challange anyone here to show me a post that is so bad you cant understand it!! Ive been on here since the very beginning and dont recall a single post that fit that discription.

Lloyd Smale
03-25-2013, 02:05 PM
Recluse your a man after my own heart. I wish i was a bit better at putting my thoughts to words but thank you for saying it for me. That post of yours should be maked a sticky and mandatory reading before signing up for this forum.
My "point," pal, is that I detest intellectual snobbery and self-anointed intellectual superiority in any context, but especially in places like this where our membership comes from a wide array of backgrounds--including educational backgrounds.

I received an e-mail from one of my book readers that was very gracious and appreciative. At the end, he apologized for his lack of proper grammar and spelling. Seems he had to drop out of high school to help his mom pay bills because dad took off for parts unknown.

Funny thing is, I concentrated more on the content of his message rather than the window-dressing of spelling and punctuation and formatting.

Oldred, if you want to compare intellectual backgrounds and abilities--mine versus yours--I'll be your Huckleberry. But you'll be hard-pressed to wade through any post of mine and find where I've whined or griped or disparaged anyone for their lack of spelling or grammar or punctuation abilities.

You and a few other of the pseudo-intellectual snobs claim "laziness" or "willful ignorance." If it bothers you so much, put the people on Ignore, just as I'm putting you there when this discussion is over.

We cast boolits here. We reload cartridges. We hunt. We fish. A large number of us are veterans and some of us went on to college by way of a GI bill or VEAP program, others came home and went straight to work because the bills had piled up while they were away fighting for their country. Some of us learned proper grammar, some of us didn't.

What we do not need here at Cast Boolits are intellectual alpha-hotels looking to constantly whine and gripe and put other members down because their writing abilities may not be up to your lofty standards, which by the way, have some problems and issues of their own--which is why I recommended that you continue to Windex your glass house before you going tossing red edit pens at others.

We already have enough police in this country. We don't need the damned Grammar Gestapo or Punctuation Police around here. Don't want them, either.

If you have that big of a problem with the way some members write or communicate, then either ignore them or get the hell out of here and go find somewhere else to whine.

MBTcustom
03-25-2013, 02:10 PM
Chill out fellers.
Nobody likes a snob, but there is no need to start name calling.
I don't see where your coming from JD.

oldred
03-25-2013, 02:16 PM
Some here need to get a life if the only thing they have to complain about is a couple misspelled words or a missing capital letter. Must be hell being so superior. Sure glad im down to earth and can see someone with less education and a bit less polished as still being my equal. I challange anyone here to show me a post that is so bad you cant understand it!! Ive been on here since the very beginning and dont recall a single post that fit that discription.

Apparently you have zero comprehension, or maybe just some other motive. What is it with the two of you, both of you accuse me of something I am not doing and apparently no amount of explanation can get it across to you. Since you want to challenge someone I would like to challenge you to go back and find anywhere I complained about anyone's spelling or bad grammar, go back and read post #38. If you have to keep accusing me of something I am not doing in order to make your point then it's quite obvious what your intentions are.

Love Life
03-25-2013, 02:25 PM
Omg. Smh.

Recluse
03-25-2013, 02:27 PM
Chill out fellers.
Nobody likes a snob, but there is no need to start name calling.
I don't see where your coming from JD.

Tim, with all due respect I'll tell you exactly where I'm coming from.

We cast boolits here. We shoot. We do things with guns. How we communicate to each other via this forum is our business and if some member has a treble hook up their vertical smile because THEY have to put in a little extra effort to decipher what someone is saying, well that's just too stinking bad.

There was a time, some years ago when our membership was much smaller that such disparaging comments and remarks about a man's ability to communicate here were met head on and the members and staff told the offended poster that if they couldn't handle it, move on down the road.

Now it seems we have other newer members friggin' PILING ON and it pisses me off.

If this is going to be the direction and personality of Cast Boolits moving forward, then please communicate it to the entire membership so that I can delete my account and get the hell out of here.

If a member or members cannot get past the way some other members communicate, then they can either just shut up or move on down the road. You do not disparage a man because of his lack of ability to communicate. Jerry Clower once famously said, "There are a lot of idiots out there educated way beyond their means."

We ALL make mistakes from time to time with our spelling or grammar or punctuation. Big Fornicating Deal. That doesn't change the BHN of the boolits we're heat-treating. It doesn't change the viscosity of the lubes we're working on perfecting. It doesn't suddenly change the blend of the alloy we're casting with.

How many members are we possibly not going to hear from now because they've been made self-conscious about how they type a post? How many members may just quietly go back into lurking mode because they don't want to be embarrassed by the Punctuation Police, and in doing so, how much invaluable information or tips or hints might we be missing out on?

Think about that, would you?

MBTcustom
03-25-2013, 02:38 PM
I am aware of that JD, however, everyone should do their best because obviously, people are watching, and like it or not, how you carry yourself in person or online affects the way people view you. This thread highlights that fact. It's the truth, and I have no problem with that.
I do have a big problem with elitist a of any genre that use others as a way to boost their own self image, and on that, I'm sure we agree.
However, I don't believe that's how oldred intended to come across, and I thought your reaction was over the top.
Keep it civil, and If your that POed, get a moderator involved and drop it.

Recluse
03-25-2013, 02:43 PM
So, Tim, what you're saying is that this is the new direction of Cast Boolits?

Then count me out.

MBTcustom
03-25-2013, 02:56 PM
No sir. Cast boolits will always be a place where you are accepted as you are, and allowed the freedom to hold your values according to your personal convictions, without fear of being penalized for them. It will also always be a place where personal attacks and flamethrowing will be strongly discouraged.
At the end of the day, this is about grammar and spelling. There is nothing being discussed hear that warrants getting bent out of shape.

felix
03-25-2013, 03:14 PM
Standard sentence construction includes the conventional name of something followed by its nickname in parentheses. If anyone here has had a course in Information Theory, this thread would have no correspondence. The course describes the typical failure rates between various languages, be it the proverbial languages we read and write, or those for programming digital, and analog, computers only. Naturally, the course is taught to electrical engineers in graduate school and unfortunately not to social science folks to my knowledge. ... felix

fishhawk
03-25-2013, 03:26 PM
Well I just happened to stumble in here and I see the old cabin fever is back and doing well! Now what is all this chest thumping going to do? It's just going to make hard feelings for all concerned we are all human and no one is perfect least of all me when it comes to spelling, grammar and punctuation so how about we all stop and think about the "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" before any one piles on any one here is that doable guys? steve k

David2011
03-25-2013, 05:27 PM
OK, what is this (Prolly)? I have seen it and have no clue.

It's Internet speak for "probably."

montana_charlie
03-25-2013, 05:33 PM
If curlyhead posted a question asking if his 600 grain bullet is too long for the 1 turn in 22 inch rifling on his Johnson Model 5 single shot, somebody would surely tell him that the Model 5 has 1 in 18 inch rifling.

The 'typo' or the 'misspelling' or the 'bad grammar' of saying 1 turn in 22 inches would be noticed by any who know better, and neither they nor curlyhead would take offense at the correction. In fact, curlyhead would probably say 'thanks' because he had been thinking the wrong thing as long as he has owned the rifle.

But, tell him that he mispelled the maker's name of Johnston ... not Johnson ... and seven members will go nuts over correcting poor curlyhead on his spelling mistake, and embarrassing him beyond belief.
They will make such a big deal over it old curlyhead will get mad, too ... and trade off his Model 5 for a saltwater flyrod.

Or, there's the self-professed newby who comes in saying he has just entered the world of.45 caliber handguns.
He says the one he picked isn't the Army gun because he doesn't trust those Sammy Ottos, so he got a reloader with the twirly part that holds the shells.

If I happen to be the first one to decipher what he said, and then tell him it's 'revolver', I'm an elitist who is practicing self-agrandizement ... do I understand you guys correctly?

People correct others continuously on this forum every day.
But correcting certain mistakes cause certain people to become angry, while other kinds of corrections do not.

Anybody know why ... ?

fishhawk
03-25-2013, 05:37 PM
Little things like that with the current world and US problems should be the least of any one's worries......

R.M.
03-25-2013, 05:58 PM
Little things like that with the current world and US problems should be the least of any one's worries......

Ain't that the truth.

gnoahhh
03-25-2013, 09:03 PM
So, just how many angels can dance on the head of a pin...?

Bottom line: communicate as best you can. Take pride in your language skills, and try to improve them whenever you can. Last, but not least, smile!

bayjoe
03-25-2013, 09:16 PM
Oldred
I am with you man. I am proud that I got an education and know how to use it.

Randy C
03-25-2013, 10:08 PM
:coffeecom

8mmFan
03-26-2013, 01:09 AM
I am new here, so I wish to tread lightly. Nearly every post on the thread has been a pleasure to read. I share Old Red's feelings in that I find the deteriorating level of our nation's collective grammar to be regrettable. I was raised by simple folk who believed that one has a responsibility to read, write and speak the King's English to the very best of one's ability, and to constantly try to improve in that respect. They believed that it makes everyone's life richer. At the same time, they believe(d) that good manners, hard work and getting things done to the best of one's ability trump flowery language and "letters" any day. This thread is evidence that there is an abundance of both good character (and good characters) and respect for the proper use of our language at this site. Just another reason why it is becoming my favorite place on the Internet.

MBTcustom
03-26-2013, 02:27 AM
I am new here, so I wish to tread lightly. Nearly every post on the thread has been a pleasure to read. I share Old Red's feelings in that I find the deteriorating level of our nation's collective grammar to be regrettable. I was raised by simple folk who believed that one has a responsibility to read, write and speak the King's English to the very best of one's ability, and to constantly try to improve in that respect. They believed that it makes everyone's life richer. At the same time, they believe(d) that good manners, hard work and getting things done to the best of one's ability trump flowery language and "letters" any day. This thread is evidence that there is an abundance of both good character (and good characters) and respect for the proper use of our language at this site. Just another reason why it is becoming my favorite place on the Internet.

That sums it up nicely! Couldn't agree more.

DCP
03-26-2013, 07:18 AM
Welcome to Cast Boolits

btroj
03-26-2013, 07:37 AM
This topic comes up about once a year and it never goes well.
I just ignore bad grammar up to the point where it gets to difficult to read at which point I don't read those posts.

fishhawk
03-26-2013, 07:43 AM
And I should know by now to just lock the thread and save a lot of trouble for every one!

garym1a2
03-26-2013, 08:12 AM
Maybe I can get the last word in, ROTFLMA!
LOL

And I should know by now to just lock the thread and save a lot of trouble for every one!

alamogunr
03-26-2013, 08:13 AM
It is always interesting to read through these threads. As was said, they come up about once a year and don't seem to change anyone's habits/lack of attention.

All the problems pointed out are not unique to this board. One thing that really irritates me is reading a newspaper or magazine and seeing these same kinds of errors. One in particular is using "phase" where the correct word is "faze". Seldom is the reverse true. I used to run into this quite often while working in the electric power industry.

Those who make their living by using words should be held to a higher standard than those who use them on a hobby board such as Cast Boolets. Obviously, those who should be setting the standards and holding others to them are not doing their jobs.

Those who have tried to point out that the public education system is at fault, have missed the target. Politicians, bureaucrats, parents and others who take the easy way out(criticizing teachers) are mostly to blame. It is always easier to blame someone else rather than take responsibility yourself.

oldred
03-26-2013, 08:55 AM
I used to run into this quite often while working in the electric power industry.

On that note, a few years ago I needed to reset the breaker for a lathe at a machine shop, I went into what they referred to as the "power room" and found the breaker for the lathe in the box labeled "turn lays"! [smilie=b:

gray wolf
03-26-2013, 10:18 AM
I have known many people in my 71 years that just couldn't grasp the English language.
I myself struggled as a young man in the late 40,s through the 1950,s with my inability to spell, also with almost no short term memory. I could read a page in a book and before I got to the end of that page I had forgot what the first paragraph was about. I would remember it 3 or 4 days latter. It was very hard (read as difficult ) for me as a young man, I loved football and was a great tackle. But I could not remember plays or bring them to mind when someone called one, I panicked when I was asked to fill out an application for a job.
My parents just didn't know back then that something may have been wrong.
I got yelled at, called out and embarrassed. This is not to say I grew up a fool, far from it.
What I did was to learn work a rounds for my weaknesses.
I don't think anyone close to me was educated enough to see the problems or how I agonized while trying to overcome it. But I did I learn to use the tools that were available to me. The biggest hurdle was recognizing the problem existed,
and then acquiring a desire to fix it. I think I wound up not doing to bad, perfect ? no, an improvement ? yes.
Some of the most caring people I have known murdered the English language,
both orally and with pen and Ink. But you know what ? every time I ran out of gas on some back road or needed a little help in the house, or a saw buck in my pocket and sometimes a little help to drag a Deer out-- they never asked if I cared if they couldn't spell or perhaps didn't speak as well as someone else. Fact is they had heart, and they had it in large quantities. Sometimes I think it's the criticizer that has the problem, if your life is such that you get all spastic and rallied up cause a person falls a little short, and doesn't come up to your standards then I question just who has the short comings. Some as in not all people are doing the best they can with what they have. Many say prayers for folks on this forum when asked to, some would share there food. I tell you what, the next time you need a little help I'll bet you don't ask the person to pass a spelling test before you allow them to give you that help, or ask a person to spell bullet when your out of ammo.
Hey men, just sayin over here.
Let me say
""I learned a long time ago being educated dosn't make you smart, just like being full grown dosn't make you a Man.""

Hamish
03-26-2013, 10:30 AM
Has ennybuddy slanted their eyes at Bad Water Bill's "Gerty-speak"? (The fireworks should be highly entertaining)

DCP
03-26-2013, 10:33 AM
Go figure.

I thought I was the only one.

I bet were not alone.

I have known many people in my 71 years that just couldn't grasp the English language.
I myself struggled as a young man in the late 40,s through the 1950,s with my inability to spell, also with almost no short term memory. I could read a page in a book and before I got to the end of that page I had forgot what the first paragraph was about. I would remember it 3 or 4 days latter. It was very hard (read as difficult ) for me as a young man, I loved football and was a great tackle. But I could not remember plays or bring them to mind when someone called one, I panicked when I was asked to fill out an application for a job.
My parents just didn't know back then that something may have been wrong.
I got yelled at, called out and embarrassed. This is not to say I grew up a fool, far from it.
What I did was to learn work a rounds for my weaknesses.
I don't think anyone close to me was educated enough to see the problems or how I agonized while trying to overcome it. But I did I learn to use the tools that were available to me. The biggest hurdle was recognizing the problem existed,
and then acquiring a desire to fix it. I think I wound up not doing to bad, perfect ? no, an improvement ? yes.
Some of the most caring people I have known murdered the English language,
both orally and with pen and Ink. But you know what ? every time I ran out of gas on some back road or needed a little help in the house, or a saw buck in my pocket and sometimes a little help to drag a Deer out-- they never asked if I cared if they couldn't spell or perhaps didn't speak as well as someone else. Fact is they had heart, and they had it in large quantities. Sometimes I think it's the criticizer that has the problem, if your life is such that you get all spastic and rallied up cause a person falls a little short, and doesn't come up to your standards then I question just who has the short comings. Some as in not all people are doing the best they can with what they have. Many say prayers for folks on this forum when asked to, some would share there food. I tell you what, the next time you need a little help I'll bet you don't ask the person to pass a spelling test before you allow them to give you that help, or ask a person to spell bullet when your out of ammo.
Hey men, just sayin over here.
Let me say
""I learned a long time ago being educated dosn't make you smart, just like being full grown dosn't make you a Man.""

fishhawk
03-26-2013, 10:34 AM
So lets call this the end and leave it at that, any more comments will be just hashing over the same things that have been said, lets let it go peacefully guys! (beside I would hate to get grumpy lol ) steve k

gray wolf
03-26-2013, 11:17 AM
[B][SIZE=4]Go figure.

I thought I was the only one.

Your not the only one and your not alone--the others may be just standing someplace else.

wallenba
03-26-2013, 11:34 AM
But correcting certain mistakes cause certain people to become angry, while other kinds of corrections do not.

Anybody know why ... ?

I suspect it is with he reader's personality. We can't interpret whether or not a reply was written in a derogatory way, just from a typed answer. The reply would have to contain a specific unmistakable insult. An individual might be the type that is naturally suspicious, reading more into what was written than is actually there.

goofyoldfart
03-26-2013, 07:18 PM
I've read this thread with great interest. I have always tried to speak, spell and write as clearly as possible. I have also made many mistakes in the course of those efforts and due to injuries to my hands, I tend to misspell some words ( it's the typing that's failing due to the hands). Yah, I haz got a college egjamacation (;):lol:! But, I was taught to try to help people with that education, NOT to belittle them. I find myself on both sides of this mud fight. us old farts, especially Goofyoldfarts, like to use what we were taught. But above all, not to degrade or belittle a person due to their educational limits. Yes, the over use of acronyms can really muddy up a post and cause confusion and due to that fact, I try to minimize their use. So, let us all try to keep the peace and just do the best to communicate as best we can. God Bless to all and yours.

GOF <goofyoldfart and aka as Godfrey>

btroj
03-26-2013, 08:17 PM
Does poor spelling and grammar bug me? You bet it does.

Do I complain about it here? Nope. I have more important things to do.

I read for the content. If I have problems understanding what is typed then I move on and figure the content was too worth while. That doesn't happen very often.

If I want to be tied up by the grammar police I have an English major in the family I can talk to. I am glad she doesn't cast or shoot.......

fishhawk
03-26-2013, 08:23 PM
One more time, lets let it die guys! This is getting no where fast.