PDA

View Full Version : pat marlins gas check maker

argie1891
03-24-2013, 12:24 AM
made some gas checks on a borrowed 30 cal. check maker by pat marlin. works very well once you get the hang of it. i have sent a message to him about prices and delivery time. anyone had any problems with his service. i am pretty sure i want one but want to check out his service etc. before ordering. argie1891

RobS
03-24-2013, 12:59 AM
He has been through a move and other things over the last year but is up and running with good production reviews. I have a PB 45 Cal checkmaker from Pat and it took a while to get from him (prior to his move and life changes) but I knew it was going to be a while however it was worth the wait. Now a days he has his new shop, two or three machines working and is producing quality checkmakers at good production rates. I think the best way to find out production rates and estimated times of arrival is to email Pat himself. Here is his website link:
http://www.patmarlins.com/

Email:
mail@patmarlins.com

Pat is a good man, a one man show, and has a promise to do his best to produce a quality product and to deliver as quickly as he and his machines can.

pt4u2nv
03-25-2013, 06:16 AM
Just received my 35PB from Pat and 1st impression is it works well although it did take a little while to get a rythm going and figure out what I needed to do. Shot over 100 9MM yesterday and it made my leading issues go away completely. This has been a problem for me for over a year with 9MM and these PB checks worked great. Accuracy did seem to suffer some but I am sure I can work on that. Expect a wait for your checkmaker but it is worth it, mine took about 6 weeks and I got a little anzy bugging Pat but they are a great tool.I plan on ordering several more.

crappie-hunter
03-25-2013, 09:49 AM
Pat Has good intentions,and I believe is trying his best . I ordered mine right in the middle of his move and it took just over 9mos to get the checkmaker, with some trying times with communication and proof of payment issues , but checkmake arrived finally and works as advertised.

Having said all of that ,I too have had some accuracy concerns and issues no fault of the checkmaker. See my thread on Gas checks coming off at the muzzle for more info.

I have a lot more testing to do on this issue.

ubetcha
03-25-2013, 07:29 PM
I ordered a 44cal checkmaker almost a month now,but I do realize he is a one man shop and I bet there are a ton of orders waiting with this big surge in reloading interest.I will wait ,but checking my email everyday hoping to get the notice it's been shipped

dverna
03-26-2013, 09:50 AM
I recently ordered two PB GC makers from Pat. He was apologetic about the wait but I told him to ship other orders ahead of mine as I was in no big hurry as I am in the middle of a move.

I have not used the tools yet but they look good. He is 100% in my book so I would not worry about his ability to deliver a quality product even if he is busy. It is worth the wait and I like to support our own.

280Ackley
03-26-2013, 10:08 AM
I ordered a check maker 6 weeks ago. Still waiting. He does respond quickly to email. I'll withhold judgement until I get the tool.

R.Ph. 380
04-04-2013, 06:58 PM
Been right at 8 weeks now for my order, but I understand he has had some mechanical replacements required and is trying hard to catch up.

Bill

Cane_man
04-04-2013, 10:49 PM
i would like to buy one, but with the indeterminate delivery time i just decided it would be easier to do the research and make my own...

Taylor
04-05-2013, 07:56 PM
Submitted my order for 35 cal PB about middle of March.

ubetcha
04-05-2013, 08:00 PM
Just received my USPS Email that my 44 Checkmaker dies have been shipped today.Should be here in a few days.

nhrifle
04-05-2013, 10:42 PM
I ordered a .30 cal Checkmaker at the beginning of March and got shipping confirmation today. I also have a new mould and handles on the way. To top it off, I am awaiting delivery of a Springfield Armory Loaded 1911. Christmas has officially become a springtime holiday! I be one excited boy waiting for his new toys!

Lead Fred
04-05-2013, 11:24 PM
Love all mine, they were worth the wait

gundownunder
04-06-2013, 08:40 AM
You may want to contact Pat and ask him what kind of delay you can expect.
Took him months to get mine shipped, and when he did ship it part of it was missing.
I contacted him about the missing bits and after scratching his head as to how it happened he shipped the missing bits and I had them in about 10 days here in Australia.
Since then I have made several thousand checks and they do seem to have improved accuracy a little and have certainly cut down leading by a huge margin.
I use my 357 Marlin as my rifle silhouette gun and push a 175 gr bullit at 1750 fps with one of Pats diapers stuck to their butts and I can clean the barrel with 4 - 5 patches after an 80 round match.

xtrm41
04-21-2013, 06:29 PM
It took about a month for the dies to get here, (20 working days) all is well. Now I need to find time to use them.

hickfu
04-22-2013, 12:13 AM
Sorry for posting in 3 different threads about this.... To those of you who have the PB 45 cal check maker, what materiel can you use? can you use something as readily available as a soda can or do you have to buy a certain type of material? Does his plain base check maker work on .460 PB boolits? and to those who have his 44 cal one, will it fit .432 PB boolits?

Thanks for any info,

Doc

Gunslinger1911
04-22-2013, 09:50 AM
Hi Doc,

Pop cans are what the PB checkmakers are designed for - work fantastic !!!
As to the "460" - I use the 45PB for .454 45 ACP and 435 Colt and .458 for 45/70 , so I'd say yes.
Same for the 44 - will prob work also

leadloader
06-15-2013, 02:57 PM
i orderd my 30 cal check maker in january then the first of june i am talking to a guy on another forum about how i couldnt wait , he informed me that he order was placed about 6 weeks ago and he has his die.. i scratched my head then wrote pat a email ... he explianed that my pre paid order had found its way into the un paid folder , so after 5 months i finaly get my die and it will not thread into my lee press or lyman or my brothers rcbs . out of spec is my only guess seems to large in diameter .. ive written pat and explianed what was wrong im awaiting a reply , but as of right now im a 3 days away from a month long shooting trip and have no checks for my boolits... really really bummed :( .. im hopeing all his customer reveiws are correct when they say pat will do what he can to make things right.. this is my first expierence with pat and its kinda been a rocky road . anybody else ever ran into this problem?

fcvan
06-15-2013, 07:15 PM
I've got three Checkmaker dies from Pat, 2 PB CheckMakers, and the 30 cal CheckMaker. My 30 cal die had a screwed up starting thread and didn't fit in my Lee press. I used to work as a pipe fitter in the oil fields and so I just cleaned up the threads using a tool file. I wrote to Pat and he offered to fix it but I had already taken care of the problem. If you weren't so close to leaving on your trip I'd send you some checks to get you by until you got it fixed.

MaineJim
06-15-2013, 10:55 PM
I ordered mine march 18th,still waiting patiently...

leadloader
06-16-2013, 12:33 PM
i recieved a email back from Pat on Fathers day (that speaks alot for his good customer service) he said it isnt uncommon for him to get a few out of spec products returned due to his increase in demand , he very kindly saidd im sorry for the incovenice and informed me thaat he will be shipping a replacement to me monday along with a label to return the defective one.. outstanding! i leave monday for my trip and requested that he shipp it to my destination address , havent heard back from him but we will see .. Pat Marlins is a great place to take your bussiness to im am pleased even thou i experienced a defective product he is provideing great customer service ...

leadloader
06-16-2013, 12:34 PM
I ordered mine march 18th,still waiting patiently...

i know the wait is long but the product is worth it in 3000 checks the die will have paid for itself ... happy shooting

beppe
06-16-2013, 12:40 PM
I ordered from PAT bout two months ago, I have not had, I'm in Italy.here in the forum, I was told that it takes a long tepo to have one of those gaschekmaker.

:coffeecom

io ho ordinato da PAT irca 2 mesi fa , ancora non ho avuto , io sono in italia.qui nel forum ,mi avevano detto che ci vuole molto tepo per avere uno di quelli gaschekmaker.

lksmith
06-19-2013, 08:23 PM
i know the wait is long but the product is worth it in 3000 checks the die will have paid for itself ... happy shooting

With the price of checks now (if you can find the ones you want) 2000 pretty much breaks even, especially once shipping is figured in.
I too ordered some check makers last week.
Check Sent Tuesday 6/11/13
Check Cashed Tuesday 6/18/13
Shipping info received Tuesday 7/16/13,
Delivery attempted 8/31/13 but wife didn't get to door fast enough and I was in the shop
Arrived 9/2/13.
My Plain base die was messed up so I wrote Pat. He told me to send it back and he'd fix it.
I just got the die back today, and not only did he fix it, but he also reimbursed me for the shipping and gave me another ejector arm, I must say I am impressed by his service.
Haven't shot any o the checks yet but judging by everybody's response I am optimistic about them.
Certainly will be nice to use my pure lead hollowpoints at full jacketed velocities in my 9mm and 38's for hunting/SD
Now just a waitin on my Mihec 429244 group buy mold

Gunslinger1911
06-19-2013, 09:40 PM
I know it's rough guys, the waitin'. I got my order confirmed Feb 27, received 35 checkmaker early June. It may take a while, but 1) it's worth it ! 2) no body else I know of makes them. (unless you make your own) I have 35, 40, and 45 checkmakers, made eleventy thousand checks at least, still going strong !
Hang in there, it will come !

disclaimer: not being a fan boy. - I wish Pat wouldn't get the USPS label ready so early (like 2 months) - makes me think the item is on the way ! Work around is to set up notification thru USPS site to email you when item is really shipped, no checking tracking every day that way.

nhrifle
06-20-2013, 01:37 AM
I got my 30 cal checkmaker a little over a month ago, and it is awesome to say the least. Once I got the hang of it, very easy to use and set up, and the precision of the checks made is worth waiting for the die to be made. Pat has engineered an excellent product.

One quick note, be sure and use the right thickness metal. The first flashing I tried was about .008" thick and they formed kinda funky and would not crimp tightly onto the boolit shank. Thanks Jim for posting the flashing you use, which measures .014" thick. That stuff works perfectly and they size nice and tight to the boolit.

PatMarlin
03-18-2015, 04:06 PM
Well where should I start here.

This thread is back from 2013. I have made countless improvements in production time and machinery.

Please do not order from me if you cannot accept the fact that I am a one man shop, and delays happen.

My tolerances are within +/- .0005" and to outsource my dies, so you can have them in your hands in a day would cost 4 times as much as I charge for a set retail. So I have chosen to keep my manufacturing in house.

I enjoy my work and the thousands of customers I have who contiually order new calibers from me with there repeat business. I was harased by a customer this morning who acused me of being a fraud and a thief becuase he had not received his dies, paid on 3-5-15, even though they were in this mornings mail. I stopped his order and sent him a refund, and have wasted 1/2 a day with him.

I ship dies out daily, first come first serve.

Here are my terms. Please do not order from me, if you cannot respect the fact that I work alone, and machines fail. I fail. I get the flu. I work by myself. I will not do business with rude people, and will not stand for harassment for one minute:

Kindest regards,

Pat... :drinks:

How thingswork at Patmarlins... also known as:

Terms and conditions

All orders ship pre paid first come first serve.

I prepay shipping to speed up orders. Your order is insured and ships USPS Priority Mail SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION, but If you get a notice and your order has not yet shown up as tracking in the system, I still have your order on the bench waiting for a part, and it will leave soon.

You can click the link from the post office notice, then click the "Get Email Updates" option and they will notify you when it's scanned and coming.

Orders are not insured without Signature Confirmation.

DON"T WORRY- All parcels shipped with a USPS signature confirmation (which is everyone) I will cover immediately even if they get lost in the mail, and send you out another replacement at no charge. All international orders need to use my insurance option to get covered if they get lost. I will not cover lost international orders without insurance. Your order is guaranteed to be spot on and work flawlessly. Period. Returns over 30 days are subject to 20% restocking or completed labor fee. Refunds are issued within 30 business days. If there is any problem with your order whatsoever PLEASE contact me right away, and don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

I'm a one man CNC shop working daily to add new calibers, increase production and shorten wait times.

I run (4) CNC machines- (computer numerical control), and (3) industry standard manual machines 5-6 days a week. Rarely I can keep stock, but I'm working in that direction. Getting your order in insures your place inline.

I'm happy to answer all order related questions by email, but unfortunately don't have time for frequent production status requests or phone calls (would get nothing done). I aim to always ship orders within 10 business days and sooner- but delays can occur beyond my control. When most every shooting manufacturer with a product in demand is backordered months and months, I do very well for a one man shop.

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

Payment:

Check, money orders, or PayPal plus 3%.

Prices and shipping:
Checkmaker™ price is $84.00 for all dies under 50 caliber.
Checkmaker™ price is $94.00 for 50 caliber.

$5.95 plus $2.45 Signature confirmation USPS Priority Mail shipping for one (1) die set.

$12.95 plus $2.45 Signature confirmation USPS Priority Mail shipping for two (2) die sets or more combined.

International shipping (USD):
$23.95 -International shipping USPS Priority mail for up to 2 die sets.
$59.95 -International shipping USPS Priority mail for 3 or more die sets.
$11.50 -Optional international full replacement- no wait, loss coverage insurance (per die set), your choice. We will not cover dies lost without insurance. Email for shipping rates on larger orders.

International Payments (USD):
I do not accept any international payments other than PayPal. NO international money orders or checks.

For first die set orders- ram ejector arms are included (one per customer). Specify what model single stage press you have. Additional ram ejector arms are $4.95 including shipping. The LEE style ejector arm now works for the LEE Classic Turret press. Custom diameter order optional male die to your specification $9.95.

I'm proceeding with a complete line of dies perfected and supported for all calibers, including PB versions. If there is a mold made, or a plain base mold made, there will be a set of Checkmaker™ dies for it.

Calibers Now in production-

22 cal, 22T cal (tall), 22PB cal, 22PB-AR cal (about .095 in Tall w/.014 AL and depending on metal used, .081 inside, great for the AR platform), 243 cal, 6mm cal, 6.5 cal, 6.5PB cal, 7mm cal, 7mmPB cal, 25cal, 25PB cal, 270 cal, 270PB cal, 30 cal, 30PB cal, 303 British cal, 7.62x39 cal, 7.62x39PB cal, 338 cal, 8mm cal, 8mmPB cal, 32 cal, 32PB cal, 32-20PB Winchester (includes 32 S&W Long, 32 Colt New Police), 348 cal, 348PB cal, 35 cal (includes 9mm), 35PB cal (Plain Base, includes 9mm) 38-55PB Winchester Cal, 375 cal, 375PB cal, 10mm cal, 10mmPB cal, 40 cal, 40PB cal, 41 cal, 41PB cal, 416 Rifle cal, 44 cal, 44PB cal, 45 cal (fits both pistol and rifle), 9.3 cal, 45PBP Pistol cal, 45PBR Rifle cal, 45PB-AR cal (tall), 50 Cal Pistol (.501), 50 Cal Rifle (.512), 50PB Pistol, 50PB Rifle.

COMING SOON...
-more calibers including:

405 cal, 405PB cal ,480 cal ,480PB cal.

oneokie
03-18-2015, 05:36 PM
Take this conversation to PM's.