PDA

View Full Version : Emptying the Lee Melter Furnace

Gibbs44
03-24-2013, 12:03 AM
I picked up a Lee Melter furnace. At the moment I'm casting for my 44 out of wheel weights, but I'll need to have that material out when I want to cast some pure for my muzzleloader. Since my dipper cannot get all of the lead out, other than tipping it up and letting the lead pour out, I cannot think of a safer/different way to empty this. I know bottom pours you pretty much set your ingot mold in place and let it go, what for this. If I am right, any unpleasant experience that I may be able to forgo with a little insight from one who has live through such an ordeal?

Thanks in advance.

justing
03-24-2013, 12:26 AM
why not cast all of the lead in there into boolits then carefully pour out the rest?

jonas302
03-24-2013, 12:27 AM
put your gloves on pick it up and pour it out same with a bottom pour as you never want it to run empty and drag all that junk though the valve oh I have mine set on a cookie sheet so any spill or splatter is easy to clean up

2wheelDuke
03-24-2013, 02:12 AM
I've always just cast with/ladled out what I could, then picked it up with welding gloves and poured it into an ingot mold.

justing
03-24-2013, 02:17 AM
then it sounds like you got it down, that way should be your best bet.

Gibbs44
03-24-2013, 07:46 AM
Thanks, that's pretty much what I figured. I'll have to remember to empty a bottom pour the same way if I ever get one.

Doc Highwall
03-24-2013, 09:25 AM
Do you have a large smelting pot? I would just pour it into my smelting pot and add more un-known lead alloy into it and make ingots for testing at a later date.