PDA

View Full Version : 25-06

bigted
03-23-2013, 09:45 PM
stupid search ... [smilie=s:...wont aknowledge hearing the word 25-06. so here i am asking yet another question of eberbody...has anybody loaded the 25's with cast pills? had a 25-06 encore barrel follow me home today...pretty good deal so i couldnt pass on it. NOW for seeing if it will shoot cast well enough to hunt small meat eaters with.

Nobade
03-24-2013, 09:28 AM
I had a M700 25-06 briefly. Loaded to duplicate the 25-20 it worked pretty well, and was useful for small game and plinking. A few grains of really fast burning powder, I used Clays and Red Dot, work well. I wouldn't go over 6 grains of powder, speeds get high enough to kill any accuracy. I am sure somebody here has used rifle powder and gaschecked boolits to pump it up, but I never tried. It got rebarelled pretty quickly. Oh, it did work wonders loaded with Speer 75gr. TNT bullets to 250 Savage velocities. Way more accurate and fun to shoot than it was with full 25-06 loads.

-Nobade

texassako
03-24-2013, 09:54 AM
A Sako .25-06 was my first and only deer rifle for a long time, but I recently tested the waters with some cast loads. I recently tried a 115gr FNGC and the Ranchdog 87gr FNGC with Unique and it shot as accurately as it always does, but probably will not continue the experiment since I have rifles better suited to cast. The .25-06 really shines with the heavy for caliber jacketed loads, and it really does a number on a coyote with a 90gr varmint bullet.

Potsy
03-26-2013, 10:34 AM
I've got a Browning A-Bolt II that is my go to "when it absolutely, positively, has to be whacked right now and a pretty good ways out there" rifle.
The cool part is 100grn partitions hit about an inch higher than 85grn. ballistic tips with the same windage. I need to load a few 120 partitions and see where they hit as well. Kinda nice to have yote/deer/big stuff loads without jacking with the scope. Not that my old Vari-X III has ever been a problem in that department.
I wish I could tell you I've tried cast in it, but I've not. J-words only. Though it's never found one of them it didn't like.
I know I've got an article on shooting cast in a .25-06 way back somewhere in my pile of Handloader/Rifle, but I wouldn't have a clue where to start looking. You might dig around on there website and see if they've got any back issue reference, but that article may go back 15 years.
I wouldn't mind seeing your results if you are successful with this project.
GOOD LUCK!!!

Bullshop
03-26-2013, 11:10 AM
My experiance, 25/06 + boolits = good