PDA

View Full Version : Hot glue in Dies

mrblue
03-23-2013, 08:26 PM
So I've read that some of you put alum foil or hot glue in the dies to stop that annoying ring on the tops of yer boolits. I tried some alum foil and found it not to my satisfaction. With the hot glue how do you apply it, just drop some it let it set or what exactly do you do? Thanks

Shiloh
03-23-2013, 08:49 PM
I put epoxy in one die as it didn't fit the boolit. I used a gel type epoxy. Mix, put a small amount in the top of the top punch, put PAM non stick spray on the boolit. Run throught the lubrisizer or seating die. Leave at the top of the stroke until it sets.

Shiloh

Bullwolf
03-23-2013, 10:43 PM
I have used JB quick weld (sets faster than regular) and case lube as a mould release agent, to form temporary custom boolit seating shapes. Just mix and manipulate the JB weld until it's clay like in consistency, and then quickly mould it into your desired shape. It's not permanent, and works pretty well.

Quite a few other ways to do it. I have read about aluminum foil, hot glue, JB weld like I use, and a few others materials being used here. You can even have someone machine you a custom shaped boolit seat plug if you desire.

- Bullwolf

Bosshaug
03-24-2013, 12:16 AM
I use a small piece of heavy duty duct tape in the nose punch. Sticks in the punch well and is cushioned enough to prevent a ring on the nose of the bullet.
YMMV.

.22-10-45
03-24-2013, 01:41 AM
If punch to bullet fit is close, I like to use coarse & then fine Clover lapping compound with punch chucked up in lathe..or you could use hand drill..finish off with 400-600 wet/dry. Epoxy method is good.
Are you refering to the threaded seater punch in a reloading die or the top punch in a lube-sizer? Sometimes in the lubesizer due to ram and die mouth not being in same plane, a flat faced punch is better..lets bullet find it's own center when entewring die mouth.