PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning stainless pins

fish0123
03-23-2013, 06:09 PM
How do you guys clean your stainless pins? My outdoor range tends to get a lot of dirt and sand in the cases, which is now building up in the pins. I thought about maybe using a big magnet and separating the pins from the sand but I don't have one. Another thought was screen but so far what I have tried the pins fall through. Maybe I could put the pins in some pantyhose and squirt them off in the sink?

John Allen
03-23-2013, 06:11 PM
Just wipe them off one by one it shouldn't take more than a couple of weeks, I hope this helps.

fish0123
03-23-2013, 06:41 PM
Well the pins came through the pantyhose too. I guess I will have to find a big magnet and do it that way.

fish0123
03-23-2013, 06:57 PM
Well the buildup of sand and grit could have been avoided. From now on I'll just have to make sure to rinse off the cases before wet tumbling them.

cajun shooter
03-24-2013, 11:25 AM
You should always rinse your cases well before you tumble. Then use a RCBS media cleaner drum to separate the brass and pins. I also use a large magnet to pick up any loose pins.

obssd1958
03-24-2013, 11:30 AM
If you use a magnet to collect the pins, use a thin cloth or a plastic bag between the pins and the magnet. It makes it much easier to separate the pins from the magnet!

...especially if you use an old speaker magnet, like I did!

fish0123
03-24-2013, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the tips guys.

prs
03-25-2013, 03:35 PM
The common bakery bucket (aka 6o# pail), a pillow case set inside of that like a garbage bag, and then the media separator over that. The steel or ceramic pins fall from the separator into the pillow case, the residual water drains into the bucket. Lift out pillow case and our media back into its storage bin or coffee can or whatever.

prs

BIGRED
03-26-2013, 01:11 PM
I use a 5 gallon bullet with a 1" hole drilled in it about 2/3 way up. i put my media separator on the top and as i rinse the cases the bucket fills up with water to that hole then drains out. most of the lighter dirt/waste floats up and drains out while the pins stay at the bottom. once in a while i will take a an old speaker magnet and put it in a plastic bowl. leave about 3 inches of water in the bottom of bucket with pins. place the magnet/bowl combo on the pins, pick up pins and transfer to another bucket. remove magnet and pins fall off the bottom of plastic bowl. do this several times and all that is left is waste and water. it is very simple and costs nothing to do, takes me a few minutes to do.

zuke
03-29-2013, 10:00 PM
I use a 5 gallon bullet with a 1" hole drilled in it about 2/3 way up. i put my media separator on the top and as i rinse the cases the bucket fills up with water to that hole then drains out. most of the lighter dirt/waste floats up and drains out while the pins stay at the bottom. once in a while i will take a an old speaker magnet and put it in a plastic bowl. leave about 3 inches of water in the bottom of bucket with pins. place the magnet/bowl combo on the pins, pick up pins and transfer to another bucket. remove magnet and pins fall off the bottom of plastic bowl. do this several times and all that is left is waste and water. it is very simple and costs nothing to do, takes me a few minutes to do.

I'm gonna have to try that one,Thank's!

lmfd20
03-29-2013, 10:20 PM
I clean them like I gold prospect. Shake them up in a tub with enough water to cover them by about an inch. The pins will work down to the bottom and push the dirt to the top. Run some water across the top of them and wash the dirt off. Repeat until dirt is gone.

MOcaster
03-29-2013, 10:31 PM
I read on one of the media seller's websites that the best way to clean them was put them in the tumbler with Coke and let it run. I think this might just be to get the oxidation or something like that off of them but it might work for plain old dirt. Might be worth a shot with a small amount of media.

MOcaster