PDA

View Full Version : counterbore ML barrel

Nobade
08-22-2007, 07:21 AM
I'm currently working on a Dixie squirrel rifle, and discovered the first 3/4 inch or so of the bore is worn from the ramrod hitting it. I can't shorten the barrel since it's a fullstock, so I thought about putting a counterbore in it. I figured on setting it up in the lathe, indicating on a guage pin in the bore, get it started with a boring bar and finish with a chucking reamer. I know TC does this to make their rifles easier to load, but I'm not sure what it'll do to accuracy since I can't cut a really nice crown down in the hole. Also, any idea how big to make it? The barrel is .319/.330 now so I figured something like .335 would be good, but I don't know. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Rattus58
08-22-2007, 09:50 AM
No no no no no.......... I have these arrangements on several of my Thompsons.....

nonononono....

However, you can recrown these without too much trouble... and in fact

http://riflestocks.tripod.com/targetcrown.html

gives you a good idear how it works.... :)

Aloha... Tom :cool:

twotoescharlie
08-22-2007, 09:54 AM
go to the Muzzleloading Forums and look up "coneing" tells you how to.

TTC

Nobade
08-22-2007, 10:29 PM
OK Rattus, why not? Poor accuracy? Any other problems? As for crowning, I know all about that. But this one has the tops of the lands worn for a half inch or so deep into the bore. A crown job won't help. As for coneing, I remember hearing about this and I think it's what I'm looking for. Got any pointers to which forums to look for?

Thanks guys!

Nobade
08-22-2007, 10:41 PM
OK, found it - now I see why you warned me! It looks like I could do a coned muzzle with my tiny boring bar, and it does seem to be a workable solution. Thanks!

Nobade
08-27-2007, 07:40 AM
Yesterday I took the plunge and coned the muzzle using a small boring bar in the lathe. I set the compound at .3 degrees, started so I was just cutting into the groove diameter, and went in until I couldn't hear it hitting anymore. Polished out with 320 and then 500 grit paper, it came out great! It now looks just like a nice throat in a centerfire chamber. All this is very counter intuitive for someone used to working on centerfire rifles, but I'm looking forward to seeing if it will shoot now! It sure ought to load easier anyhow. Thanks for y'alls advice and help!

Rattus58
08-27-2007, 02:04 PM
Probably going to shoot great, and was done in the proper manner too... :)

Good shooting...

Aloha... Tom :cool:

mazo kid
08-29-2007, 04:35 PM
I've coned 4 of my M/L rifles; sure makes loading easier and accuracy is the same as before. Emery

georgeld
09-28-2007, 02:08 AM
Right after I got my first ml, was casting and got a REAL mold and decided to make up a can full using the same stuff I use for pistol boolits. The are HARD. and was even harder to get started in the bore. With three 3# coffee can's full of RB's, REAL's of two wts there's just too much time to waste by remelting and doing it all over with soft lead.

Talked to the gunsmith and he pulled out a proper relief boring reamer and did a slick job turning it by hand with a ratchet in less than five minutes for $20.

NOW they load easy and I've been shooting them about seven yrs and still have over half a can full of each. I recommend relief boring. Enough so that when ordering Ed Rayl .72 cal barrels for a big bore I paid $25 per muzzle to have him do it.

standles
09-28-2007, 09:49 AM
Hopefully you took before and after pics to post for some eye candy?

Steven

KCSO
09-28-2007, 10:46 AM
Now finish the job and file in false rifling at the muzzle. It will shoot I have done many of these and never had one shoot worse than the original barrel. They are really designed for a different loading technique though and work best for hunting with a looser patch ball combo so all you have to do is thunm and push home wiht the ram rod.

Rattus58
09-28-2007, 12:15 PM
Now finish the job and file in false rifling at the muzzle. It will shoot I have done many of these and never had one shoot worse than the original barrel. They are really designed for a different loading technique though and work best for hunting with a looser patch ball combo so all you have to do is thunm and push home wiht the ram rod.

Some may THINK that it works best with a loose patch ball combo, but that is probably the worst example of good use. A big Ol Conical is a better bullet to be using the QLA than a roundball.

I much prefer to use a regular barrel for patch and ball... especially if you want to hit something.

Aloha.... :cool: