PDA

View Full Version : Reloading 380acp with lee dies

James6406
03-23-2013, 11:37 AM
Having a little trouble getting enough case flare to accept the Mastercast 95 lrn bullets I purchased. I followed the instructions that came with the dies by setting the die to touch the shell holder then backing off 1 full turn. I could not get the bullet to begin seating when inserting by hand so I lowered the die 1/8 turn at a time and tested. Now at 1/2 turn lowered and the flare does not seem any wider and cannot seat the bullet base into top of the flared case by hand. Should I continue to lower the die or are the bullets too large in diameter? I am concerened about cramming the bullet into the case.
I am going to buy a set of digital calipers this afternoon and will post bullet and case dimensions after I measure. In the mean time, I would appreciate any input you folks can provide.

billyb
03-23-2013, 01:20 PM
once you have the die adjusted place a case in the shell holder and raise the ram and test the flare, if it is not enough flare then turn the knurled top down a half turn and test again until you get the flare just right. once the die body is set do not turn it any more. easy to do not so easy to explain.

Alan in Vermont
03-23-2013, 01:41 PM
Does the ram still go to the top of the stroke without any real force on it? If it doesn't the end of the expander may be bottoming inside the case. I had that happen on something I was trying to load and before I realized what was going on I had managed to swage the flash holes, on a few cases, just about closed. If the ram goes fully up without much force (read that as "almost none") screw the expander a little at a time, as has already been mentioned.

VHoward
03-23-2013, 01:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPWM36_ZuLk
Here is a video showing how to adjust an expander die. It shows an RCBS die, but the process is the same. The Lee die has a silver knurled knob on top that you use to adjust the expander. You don't move the whole die to adjust the expansion.

James6406
03-23-2013, 02:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPWM36_ZuLk
Here is a video showing how to adjust an expander die. It shows an RCBS die, but the process is the same. The Lee die has a silver knurled knob on top that you use to adjust the expander. You don't move the whole die to adjust the expansion.

Thanks! I feel stupid but the Lee instructions said nothing about adjusting the knurled knob. There is no identification to the die like there is for the sizer. I thought the "turn inward" was for the entire die. The video explained it well including how the die works. I think I better do more studying before I load live rounds. I thought I understood what I was doing.

James6406
03-23-2013, 03:10 PM
Anyone have suggested load using 95gr lrn? The powders I have been able to pick up are 700x and PowerPistol.

VHoward
03-23-2013, 04:33 PM
No need to feel stupid. That's what these forums are for. So you can ask questions and learn.

http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp
This site has load info from users that they have found works well for them.

Fishman
03-24-2013, 10:55 PM
I suggest getting at least one good reloading manual the latest Lyman would be a good start. There is a lot to reloading and if you do it wrong, parts of you might come up damaged or missing. Don't skip this step and you will a lot happier.

James6406
03-26-2013, 07:07 PM
I have another newbie 380 question for you folks. Based on recommendations read on this site I have ordered a Lee 380 factory crimp die. From what I have read it resizes the outside diameter of the case to insure proper dimension with no bulge. I have also read that there is a chance it can swage off some of the lead boollit. I have a 1980's vintage Lee 3 die turret press (not progressive). Using my setup, my question is does the factory crimp die replace my current bullet seat/crimp die or do I use it as an additional step following the final 3 die seat/crimp? All I could find was instrctions for the Lee 4 die setup and is unclear to me.

Once again you folks can count on me to ask questions that are fundamental to all of you. I greatly appreciate the patient responses and the spirit if this site.

twotrees
03-26-2013, 07:55 PM
James,

The standard seating die should be adjusted so that it just seats the boolit to the right Over All Length (AOL) then the factory crimp die is put in place of the seater die (once you have all your boolits seated) and then crimp only with the Lee Factory Crimp die. Yep it takes 4 pulls of the handle for each loaded/crimped round.

Good Shooting ( I use to shoot at Crowfoot Gun Club in Murrysville 30 years ago)

country gent
03-26-2013, 08:55 PM
I started loading 380 acp with the last shortage rush scare. I load on a dillion 650 so handling those little cases isnt an issue for me. Be sure and double check powder charges and seating depths as this is a small case and only a couple grains of powder are used. My load is 2.8 grns of ww 231 with a berrys 100 grn hbrn copper plated bullet. A couple tenths variance on this powder charge is more percentage wise than a 2 grn variance on a 60 grn charge. Work up slowly and carefully pay attention to details. I have loaded several 1000 rds of 380 now and my load has worked in every gun we put it in so far ( 7 diffrent pistols). It duplicates the remington 102 grn defense loading as to point of impact /point of aim, and where cases are ejected to. Case head expansion isnt excessive and case life is good. Since most people dont reload 380 yet alot of once fired brass is out there for the asking. Theres no magic formula. Clean and inspect your cases, chamfer lightly, Full length resize the cases, I lightly lube mine even with carbide dies since some 380s have "generous chambers" and it eases sizing force needed. Drop charges +/- .1 gran of mean setting, Inspect cases for double charges, seat bullets to depth, lightly crimp ( i normally only crimp a few thousandths to be sure bell is removed) removing belling andas needed for holding bullet in place. Then inspect each round as you are boxing them up. Read up on the loading process before starting. I have a lee turret press I used years ago a good piece of equipment. Additional die plates means no resetting dies. A lee single station press can be bought for crimping. Use descreation and pay attention to each step on each case.

James6406
03-26-2013, 09:16 PM
For proper crimp do you measure the diameter or just eyeball it? I have only loaded 357 for my Dan Wesson revolver in LSWC with very light crimp that was just enough to hold the bullet. I am concerned that under crimp on my 380s may let the bullet move in the ramp and reduce OAL. Also concerned that too tight may greatly increase developed pressure. These will be my first handloads for pistol. Am I worrying too much? I have the dimensional drawing of the 380 but a pic of a properly crimped lead 380 cartridge would be very helpful to me.

country gent
03-26-2013, 09:29 PM
I have went to crimping a empty case. measure the case inside dia before crimping and adjust the die till you get the measured inside dia crimp you want. This makes repeating the setting easier and more consistent. If your bullet has a crimp channelure or crimp grove you can measure that depth to see how deep you can go. Your digital calipers will measure outside inside and depth. Keep in mind some calipers outside and inside measurments dont always match up. But are normally with in a couple thousandths of each other. The sized empty crimped case can be rebelled to save it.

VHoward
03-26-2013, 09:39 PM
Please dis-regard the video instructions I posted earlier if you are using Lee's powder through expander die.
The following video shows the adjustment of the powder through expander die. It is on the Loadmaster, but the adjustment will be the same.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZj230IpVn8

Here is a video showing how to install and adjust the factory crimp die. Usually the initial setting is good enough and will be for the 380.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmeLD8BFm-w

James6406
03-27-2013, 09:53 PM
The videos were a big help. Thank you.

James6406
03-28-2013, 06:16 PM
My factory crimp die and kinetic bullet puller arrived from Natchez today. Can't wait to try them out using the knowledge that you all have provided. I also found a good price of $27.54 on a Lee 90045 single stage press from Titan. The shipping was $13.40 but this was the best total cost I could find. I plan on mounting my de-prime/expander die in it and add the factory crimp die to my 3 hole turret.

Country Gent: thanks for the idea of first working with an empty case and measuring. I believe this will greatly help in setup and understanding where things are on each step.

country gent
03-28-2013, 06:57 PM
When using the Kinetic puller there are several tricks to make it work better. In my garage there is a "chunk of oak log 24" - 30" in dia and about 2 ft long standing on edge. This makes a great solid surface to hit the puller on. You want the puller to bounce not the surface your hitting. Its the right hieght to work from sitting and has room to sit a container or 2 to empty hammer in to. Also is handy for other chores also. Anyone who cuts wood ( firewood) can cut this for you all you need is straight parrallel smooth ends.
When you swing the puller swing it limp wristed again it is the bounce back of the puller that pulls the bullet. So letting it bounce back is ideal. This works the same as recoil pulling a bullet in a firearm. Its not the foreward blow persay that does the work its the bounce back.

Billybumbler
03-30-2013, 05:07 PM
I use the Factory Crimp Die for all my autos. Works great for removing the 'bulge'. A word of caution though, I have two .380's a Kel Tec and a cheepo Jiminez (sic) The Kel Tec does not like my bullets but the Jiminez isn't finicky. I even tried hand feeding the barrel and both worked. Just work up some and try them at the range for feeding. Nothing worst then using your new puller on 300 rounds.

gunoil
03-31-2013, 07:59 AM
Having a little trouble getting enough case flare to accept the Mastercast 95 lrn bullets I purchased. I followed the instructions that came with the dies by setting the die to touch the shell holder then backing off 1 full turn. I could not get the bullet to begin seating when inserting by hand so I lowered the die 1/8 turn at a time and tested. Now at 1/2 turn lowered and the flare does not seem any wider and cannot seat the bullet base into top of the flared case by hand. Should I continue to lower the die or are the bullets too large in diameter? I am concerened about cramming the bullet into the case.
I am going to buy a set of digital calipers this afternoon and will post bullet and case dimensions after I measure. In the mean time, I would appreciate any input you folks can provide.

I loaded 380acp for a year with lee hand press. I had loaded some 380's on my loadmaster last week. Now that was incredible fun and will do that again one day.

Post 14 helped ya and go to lee site, they have vids too. I didnt watch. (they was whst he posted? ).
1) lee buldge buster kit "is what it is". It only takes buldge out, sizer does not always.
2) i use rcbs expander die (vid below)
3) i use dillon crimp dies.
4) my lee exp die is milled off @ sta.3. (just powder drop). The bullet drop cost me a hole so i finish with crimp on single stage.

vid below:Sorry, cant get photobucket working.

I turn my lee dies (9mm,380acp) down like this rcbs expander die at the local machine shop. Its a step and not a bell.

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k511/putt2012/1075CF20-7957-4444-9D95-88686390C651-2149-00000314C3AB3AD7.jpg
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k511/putt2012/10BA3710-F402-42A0-A815-3A5DB45718C0-824-00000160FFB9409C_zps6c254405.jpg

Sig938,xds45,Glock26,micro desert eagle380acp.

gcollins
03-31-2013, 02:56 PM
James, Have you took a mic or caliper amd checked what size those bullets are?Before you load a ton of them, make sure that they will chamber in your gun.
G

gunoil
03-31-2013, 04:57 PM
Post #18 ,, billybumbler. You might try a lite load for your p3at keltec. It might feed & run like a champ. Also a dillon (part #K25-15160) stainless case gage for 380acp before you box em up. $15.45...

James6406
04-03-2013, 09:26 PM
Just measured them at 0.356. I will search this site to see what they are supposed to be.

James6406
04-03-2013, 09:35 PM
What I am finding is that they are to be .355 to .356. Is that correct?

James6406
04-03-2013, 10:10 PM
From further investigating I see that 380acp is 0.355" and 9mm is 0.356". I question if accuracy with my digital calipers can be trusted to 0.001". Adding some pressure on the thumb wheel does take my measurement close to the 0.355". Do any of you use the same cast boolit for both 380 and 9mm?

khmer6
04-04-2013, 01:13 AM
Same size yes, same bullet no. The weights are different.

VHoward
04-04-2013, 09:32 AM
Accuracy with lead bullet depends on the size of your bore.
part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuNoo4m6jso
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPHypjU5alQ
Those videos will show you an easy way to slug your barrel. After you know the diameter of your barrel, then you should buy or cast lead bullets that are .001 to .002 larger than the diameter of the barrel. My Ruger LC9 barrel slugged at .357 so you can't always go by what the average is.

mdi
04-04-2013, 01:29 PM
The only "bad" Lee die I've encountered was a 45 ACP powder through die that would not flare the case enough. The taper portion of the expander ended at a full diameter ridge and if the case was forced up against this ridge, it could collapse. The taper was not big enough up to the ridge. Worked fair-to-middlin' with jacketed bullets, just not quite enough flare to start .452" lead bullets.

James6406
04-04-2013, 07:39 PM
As far as barrel slugging, the link below is to a YouTube link I found. Has anyone here tried this method or seen this method before? I hope my attempt in posting the link works ok.

Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuNoo4m6jso&sns=em

James6406
04-04-2013, 07:42 PM
Should have alo mentioned that it is in two parts. Link to part 2 is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPHypjU5alQ&sns=em

khmer6
04-04-2013, 07:57 PM
Did Howard post the same video? Get a micrometer it will be more accurate my calipers vary depending on how much pressure

VHoward
04-04-2013, 08:22 PM
Yes, those are the videos I linked to. I have done that method and it works well.

khmer6
04-04-2013, 10:43 PM
Just confused me why the op posted the same video lol. Happy slugging :)

James6406
04-05-2013, 07:53 AM
Sorry about reposting the same link. I was reading the posts on my phone and my tired old eyes did not see that they were the same.

mdi
04-05-2013, 12:40 PM
I've made my slugging slugs that way for quite a while. I also make a couple slugs for hardness testing with each new batch of alloy...