PDA

View Full Version : I want a 7.62x39 chamber adapter to shoot .32 pistol bullets from my rifle

Ohio Rusty
03-23-2013, 09:47 AM
I have a Rossi 7.62x39 single shot rifle and I want a 7.62x39 chamber adapter to shoot rimmed .32 pistol bullets from my rifle (.32 longs, .32 H&R, etc). Is something like this feasable ?? I know I have seen other inserts for other calibers to shoot pistol bullets. So what would it take to have a machinist on the list make one of these for me??
Ohio Rusty ><>

drhall762
03-23-2013, 10:27 AM
You might want to check with these folks. They don't currently offer one but they sure as heck know how to make them.

http://www.mcace.com/adapters.htm

Ohio Rusty
03-23-2013, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the info. They make quite a few different adapters. I sent them an email.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Hydrostatic shock doesn't kill deer ..... I do.

I'll Make Mine
03-23-2013, 02:54 PM
I wonder if they can do this one -- there isn't much meat left in a 7.62x39 by the time you ream a .32 ACP chamber into it (never mind a longer .32 revolver chamber); I'm not sure there'll be any at the extraction groove, and very little at the mouth end of the .32 chamber.

An alternative for this might be a Hammond Game Getter -- this one uses a .22 power load for a concrete nailer to propel a sized buckshot or lightweight bullet. For 7.63x39, there isn't enough room in the case head to offset the chamber for the power load, so they have an internal chamber and firing pin, which makes them very slow to reload -- but they are at least possible in this chamber, if the .32 ACP adapter isn't.

Another option to consider is simply loading "cat sneeze" cartridges in the original 7.62x39 cases. A small load of fast pistol powder (classic for .308 to .30-06 is 5 grains of Bullseye or 10-13 of Unique -- I'd want to cut those a little for this smaller case, at least to start) will propel a sized buckshot or lightweight cast bullet at subsonic velocity and give good accuracy at squirrel ranges, with almost no recoil and, depending on the load, potentially less noise than a high velocity .22 LR from a rifle barrel. With cast bullets, these loads can be cost competitive with pre-panic premium .22 LR (say, 10-12 cents a round for primer, powder, and bullet), and don't require fiddling with a chamber adapter.

Ohio Rusty
03-23-2013, 03:24 PM
I thought about that also IMM ..... I have some .315 RB I can squeeze into a case, but I have nothing for reloading 7.62x39's. I also came across a box of 500 Hornady hollow based wad cutters for .32 I had squirreled away wanting to try them in my .32 muzzleloader (they didn't shoot well in the .32) The .32's is actually what gave me the idea of the .32 adapter .... to load the wad cutters in .32 shells and shoot them in my 7.62x39 rifle.

Ohio Rusty ><>

I'll Make Mine
03-24-2013, 10:36 PM
You don't need to resize for cat sneeze loads, if the cases were fired in the same (bolt action or single shot) rifle. Just knock the primer out with a hand depriming tool (Lee used to sell one, just a steel rod with a pin in the end; you could make one from a piece of 1/4" brass rod and a short clip of music wire drilled into the end), seat a new primer (can be done on a hard flat surface using a 5/16" dowel sanded down just enough to pass the case neck, and a mallet), drop your powder charge, and thumb seat the round ball. If you find the ball is too loose (unlikely with a .315 ball), apply three stab crimps in the base of the neck, evenly spaced around the circumference, to keep the ball from falling into the case body.

The same method would likely work with the HBWC, though they're almost certain to want the crimp, and likely to stand a little proud when they bottom on it.

Edit to add: warning; though I haven't tried these yet, word is shooting cat sneeze loads can be addictive. You'll find you want a #0 buckshot mold to make the .320 balls because the swaged .315 round balls will be too expensive, and you'll find yourself comparing per-charge prices for various powders with similar burn rate to Bullseye, trying to make your plinking loads cheaper than .22 ammo...