PDA

View Full Version : How much for this 1903 Springfield 30/06

koger
03-23-2013, 01:39 AM
I found this in a local gunshop. It looked like one of the ears where the pin goes thru the bolt catch had been broken and welded up, worked down and redrilled, small imperfection without finish, looks like the good one, just in the white. Stock butt looked like someone made a swipe with a disc grinder and scallooped out a 3" circle, concave now. This is the bad stuff. Rest of stock, metal finish is perfect. Bore is pristine, looks unfired, bright and shiny, sharp crisp lands, like a mirror. Action and bolt same shape as barrel, has stamped floorplate. Parkerizing good overall gun. Mismatched numbers. Priced at $395, would do $360 out the door, what will a good stock cost me, just to replace the straight original.

Buckshot
03-23-2013, 03:07 AM
...........Several places carry stocks for the Springfield. GPC has some original scant grips, among others. Of course there is always Boyds for a repro replacement, and of course E-bay, Gun Brokers, Auction Arms, etc.

...........Buckshot

Multigunner
03-23-2013, 07:24 AM
Are you sure this isn't a rewelded Drill rifle?

Alterations made to the drill rifles:
The bolt catch was welded to prevent putting an operational bolt, one that didn't have the firing pin opening welded shut, in the action.
The Barrel was plugged and tack welded to the lower receiver ring.

When reactivated the weld on the receiver ring is cut or ground away to allow removal of the plugged barrel which would be replaced with a good barrel, and the section around the welded bolt catch freed and rewelded then recut.

Some reacts seem to be okay, but I've heard of split lower receiver rings that were most likely due to the heat treatment being compromised by the tack welding or the rewelding process.
If the receiver ring is okay then the rewelds futher back don't affect the lock up.

Not saying thats definitely the case with this rifle but the signs of rewelding would make me very suspicious. Also a pristine barrel on a otherwise used rifle suggests that its a rebarrel using a NOS replacement.