PDA

View Full Version : Serious pain

Olevern
03-22-2013, 11:01 PM
Well, back home from surgery (rotator cuff repair) today about 5 p.m., but not without incident. On way home on the 100 mile trip, my wife and designated driver told me that the battery light had come on. A few miles later, we lost power and my wife pulled over, the van wouldn't turn over. We were still 28 miles from home.

I called a friend who showed up 45 minutes later and drove us home. I called for a tow truck to deliver the van to my mechanic.

Now I got a nerve block at 7 a.m., and had been told to start my pain meds when I got home, even if I were pain free, as the nerve block would only last 12-18 hours and when it wore off i would be in severe pain without the meds.

In our conversation before surgery this morning, I mentioned to the doc. that the Oxycodone 5/325 he had given me to manage pre op. pain did little more than knock the edge off it.

Now, while i was under in surgery, the nurse gave my wife a pain med prescription for, are you ready, Oxycodone
5/325.

My wife filled it in the hospital pharmacy and tucked it in her pocket book.

Got home, got settled into bed, wife hands me the meds and i was not happy. The script called for 1-2 pills every four hours, so i took two and settled in hoping for the best. This was about 3 p.m.

At 5 p.m., the nerve block stopped working and the pain came roaring in with a vengence. Several motorcycle accidents, road rash, broken bones, nothing comes close to this.

I am huddled on the love seat, surrounded by pillows, whimpering like a little girl.

I called the on-call doctor, who basically said "call the surgeon on monday and you'll have to drive up to pick up a new prescription because we can't call in these kinds of pain pill prescriptions any more." Really? On Monday? And then drive 200 miles when the doctor has told me i can't drive. When i got upset with the on-call he simply hung up on me.

Definitely will be no sleep for me tonight, probably and for the next few days. Don't even have a vehicle i or my wife can drive (she can't drive stick shift) and the shop we use isn't open till monday to even look at the van.

btroj
03-22-2013, 11:09 PM
Can't call them in any more? Haven't ever been able to phone in Percocet or anything stronger.

Have you tried ibuprofen in addition?

Do not exceed 12 tabs in a day of the oxycodone/ apap 5/325. The acetaminophen can lead to overdose and nasty death if you exceed that dose.

Best of luck to you. Pain can be miserable to deal with.

45nut
03-22-2013, 11:19 PM
prayers brother.

geargnasher
03-22-2013, 11:24 PM
Ouch. My FIL had the same surgery a few years ago and didn't take his pain meds soon enough because he "didn't think it would be all that bad" since he had had zero pain with the nerve block. He figured wrong.

I went through some extreme misery myself a couple of months ago with wisdom tooth extraction, the sedative and local anesthetic wore off after only two hours and the oral surgeon wouldn't let my wife give me the Oxycodone until 3 hours. I know all about whimpering like a little girl for hours. What finally gave me some relief was "stacking" Ibuprofin AND Naproxin Sodium on top of the Oxycodone. Surgery is for young people with resilient bodies.

Gear

jmort
03-22-2013, 11:30 PM
Praying for you brother. My wife had gall bladder surgery - found a hernia during the surgery - and had that surgically repaired as well, and she never took any of her pain meds. Doctor/nurses were amazed. I on the other hand have a low pain threshold. I try to take my mind off the pain anyway possible.

GaryN
03-22-2013, 11:37 PM
Dang! I feel for you brother. Whatever you take, don't ever take more than 1000mg. of acetaminophen at a time or more than 4000mg. total in a day. It can be very poisonous. My best friend's wife died from it. It kills your liver. And then the only way you live is with a transplant. Not a good way to go. The problem comes when people don't realize that other meds like Lortab have acetaminophen in them.

1bluehorse
03-22-2013, 11:39 PM
Join the club:smile: Just did the same (rotator cuff surgery, snapped the big tendon on top and bicep reattachment, couple labrum tears) Jan 9...oxy..thats the same stuff they gave me however It worked o.k. for me (rude awakening when that nerve block wears off huh)... good news was after 3 days I didn't need them anymore, just used Aleve..the living in sweats and not being able to change your own socks ain't much fun, no shower for a week, (I waited three days, couldn't stand it any longer) gotta love that sling...after 4 weeks of that I was ready and willing to kill something, anything, and still had two more weeks to go. I slept propped up in the corner of the couch against the wall for 7 WEEKS, couldn't lay on my side [smilie=6: ....and here it is March 22nd and I'm actually feeling pretty darn good (still aches a bit, but not much) ..sleeping in my own bed, movement is getting better daily, not much I can't do movement wise now, fact is today I was running the tractor and burning brush, and in two more weeks I can start strength training at the physical terrorists.. hang in there pard, it gets better, promise.

km101
03-22-2013, 11:45 PM
I wish I was close enough to you to help. I had a similar situation after abdominal surgery so I understand what you are going through. Time sure passes slowly when you are watching the clock, waiting for your next pain meds! My Dr. was a little more understanding than yours so I got my pain meds after only one day, but what a day!

You have my sympathy and my prayers!

sparky45
03-22-2013, 11:50 PM
Get ICE on that bugger NOW!!. I had mine done a couple of years ago and my block lasted for almost 24 hours. I used a prescribed circulation ice pad that was better than the pain meds. The Dr. gave me Lortabs 7.5 and I ended taking less than half the prescribed number during my recovery. Your Dr. should have had all the post op stuff done up for you prior to the surgery, including some ICE Therapy. Again, get some ICE on it and the pain will gradually go down. Good Luck.

Recluse
03-23-2013, 12:36 AM
In our conversation before surgery this morning, I mentioned to the doc. that the Oxycodone 5/325 he had given me to manage pre op. pain did little more than knock the edge off it.

Now, while i was under in surgery, the nurse gave my wife a pain med prescription for, are you ready, Oxycodone
5/325.

I called the on-call doctor, who basically said "call the surgeon on monday and you'll have to drive up to pick up a new prescription because we can't call in these kinds of pain pill prescriptions any more."

Incidents like these, and one I'm presently experiencing have me STRONGLY reconsidering my longheld contempt for malpractice lawsuits.

Those docs can call in a prescription for any Schedule III drug, which would include a more powerful Norco like 10/325.

They could also submit a script for an even stronger (Schedule II) narcotic via electronic-prescription, although not all pharmacies have the capabilities to accept those. But any Walgreens or CVS or Rite Aid should be able to handle an e-script with no hassles whatsoever.

My first go-around in the hospital two weeks ago, my pain-medication was being delayed and I was given no reason for it. I called up my neighbor, who is an attorney (finance/corporate) and asked him to make a quick call and ask a simple question, which he did.

Doctor-on-station: "Hello, Dr. On-Duty."

Attorney: "Yes, this is Robert Ripper of the law firm, Rip 'em, Chew 'em and Shoot 'em, and I only have two questions: Why is my client having to endure excessive pain and suffering and mental anguish because you will not release his scheduled pain medications on time? My second question is: How do I spell your name?"

Five minutes later, I had my pain meds and they were never late again.

Damned shame that that what was what it took.

Doctors. Lawyers with stethoscopes.

:coffee:

41 mag fan
03-23-2013, 07:36 AM
Vern, I hope it starts feeling better for you.

btroj
03-23-2013, 07:58 AM
Recluse, a C2 can't be don't via E-RX. Federal law requires a written RX with an original signature. Heck, in NE we can't take any controlled RX via E-RX. State law doesn't permit it.

Doctors don't always think in a logical manner. They tend to make assumptions and follow a set protocol. May work for most cases but not all. They need to look at each person as an individual case and treat accordingly.

The effects of prescription drug abuse are going to make all of this far more difficult. There is a push to make hydrocodone a C2 drug. That means no more phoned in scripts, no refills, no E-RX. Gonna make life "interesting" for a lot of people.

Olevern
03-23-2013, 09:33 AM
thanks, gents for the thoughts and prayers. pain still as bad as ever, hoping to get some lessoning soon. even pushing keys on puter with off hand hurts, so gonna get of and maybe try later,
blessings,
vern

snuffy
03-23-2013, 10:32 AM
Vern, yours is just the way my rotator cuff surgery went. The doc gave me percocet for the post-op pain, but failed to say "get ahead of" the nerve block wearing off! I took 1 percocet, went to bed. When the nerve block wore off about 4 hours later, I could barely get up to take 2 more. The drug had to play catch up, it slowly became barely tolerable.

I had a follow up the next day, when the doc came into the treatment room, he took one look at me said, you look like you're in a lot of pain!? I groaned I sure am! He gave me two pain scripts, Oxycontin, and morphine pills. THAT taken both at once did the trick!

He also gave me a cold treatment outfit that had a pouch that you put ice cubes in, with a water pump that pumped up through a pad that you put against the affected body part. It looked like a small 6 pack beer cooler! Laid against my shoulder, and run for about 20 minutes every hour, gave a lot of relief all by itself.

By the third day, it was feeling much better, then he had me start therapy! At first, it was limited motion, about all I could stand. The therapist was the owner of the outfit, he was very gentle, but very knowledgeable, and thorough.

Mine was arthroscopic, only 3 tiny slits, and one main incision that I can still feel/find.

My outcome is very good. I have full range of motion, and full strength, with no pain. So, it was worth the agony.

Recluse
03-23-2013, 10:34 AM
Recluse, a C2 can't be don't via E-RX. Federal law requires a written RX with an original signature. Heck, in NE we can't take any controlled RX via E-RX. State law doesn't permit it.

Doctors don't always think in a logical manner. They tend to make assumptions and follow a set protocol. May work for most cases but not all. They need to look at each person as an individual case and treat accordingly.

The effects of prescription drug abuse are going to make all of this far more difficult. There is a push to make hydrocodone a C2 drug. That means no more phoned in scripts, no refills, no E-RX. Gonna make life "interesting" for a lot of people.

Hmmm. Is this is "state by state" thing because here in Texas, e-scripts are becoming preferred for Sch III & II drugs because they are more secure than simply writing out the script on a triplicate.

We have a bad problem down here of triplicate pads "disappearing" from doctors' offices. We also have a problem of regular script pads being stolen and those that have the doctor's DEA number are in particularly high demand.

I could've sworn that docs down here were able to send in scripts electronically for the controls, but I'm not going to argue with someone who makes his living as a pharmacist. :)

We're also familiar with the push to make ordinary Norco and Lortabs, et al, into Sch II as well as the common muscle relaxants like Soma. I've been raising nine kinds of bloody threatening hell with my Congressman neighbor, who is a physician. For what it's worth, he agrees they should not be upgraded.

I equate it in the same mentality as gun control--the scumbags break the law and the majority get punished for it.

I'm getting really sick of living here, to tell you the truth. Land of the free? Hasn't been for a long time. Home of the brave? It's the lack of bravery and willingness to stand up and fight that has us where we're at today.

I'll be damned if I let the government control my quality of life.

:coffee:

popper
03-23-2013, 10:43 AM
Vern, I guess I was fortunate when mine went bad. All I got was advil. Back at work 3 days later. Sure did make doing stuff hard. Starting to have trouble again, hope BOCare covers that stuff when I need it again. Guess I have good internal pain management. Years ago I went under gas for the removal of a cyst in my back. Scared the wits out of the gasser when I went to sleep on the table, I was only supposed to be relaxed. She woke me up - I told her not to worry I was just napping. Darn if she didn't keep waking me up. Do your recovery rehab.

Trey45
03-23-2013, 10:44 AM
In Virginia and NC my doctors have called in narcotic pain pill prescriptions to pharmacys in both states. I have a debilitating bone disease which requires pain pills frequently. For the last 12 years I have not been denied once nor been required to drive to a doctors office to pick up a script. I call the doc, he calls the pharmacy and they call me when it's ready to be picked up.

I hope your doctors get their act together and figure out a better way to manage your pain. Living with chronic pain for the last 12 years I can assure you, I know where you're coming from.

TXGunNut
03-23-2013, 11:10 AM
Best wishes for a reduced pain level and a speedy recovery. My dentist gave me a Rx for 7.5/500 Oxycodone after some difficult extractions.....AFTER I told him I'd had a very ugly withdrawal from them several years before. I didn't read the label, had to go thru another ugly withdrawal after only a few pills. Most folks don't have that problem, quite a few do, tho. Be careful with those pills, Oxycodone is not your friend.
My preferred ortho pain treatment is ice and Ibuprofen and the ice seems to work best. After a few days (as directed by a nurse or doc) switch to heat to promote healing. Orthopedic injuries and treatment have gotten more painful for me as I get a little older, suspect the same is true for you. Hang tough, hopefully you won't need those pain meds by Monday.

x101airborne
03-23-2013, 11:16 AM
Vern,
Many prayers for you. I am going to have to have the surgery sometime, but I am chicken and am putting it off as long as possible. Too many times doing 3 to 5 second rushes and diving for cover on my left shoulder have taken it's toll.
When I herniated my disks, my doctor gave me hydracodone 10/500's and they are little white angels in a bottle. I usually dont take on per day, but every other day for sure, I have to have one. And sometimes, even they dont take the pain away, just make it bearable. Most days, after supper a cold beer and a couple ibuprofen takes care of things just fine.
I will be thinking of you, Sir.

Rick N Bama
03-23-2013, 02:29 PM
When I had shoulder surgery several years ago my surgeon placed a pain "Pump" in my shoulder. Basically it was a rubber bulb filled with pain meds & then a tiny cather went into one of the incisions. I could tell you the day & just about the hour the medicine ran out! While it was working it sure did help control the pain.

Rick

Charlie Two Tracks
03-23-2013, 03:49 PM
Sorry to hear about that Olevern. I hope they get that subdued for you soon. It's mighty hard to get any rest mentally or physically when you are in pain that much.