PDA

View Full Version : Colt SAA replica

Lizard333
03-22-2013, 06:57 PM
Hello gents, I just got an Italian made colt SAA replica as my first black power pistol. I have pyrodex, as powder and #10 caps.

Here's the question. I was lined a mold to cast some round balls but I'm worried they are way to big. I measured the inside diameters and they are about 432. The mold I have is 454.

Being new to this, will this work? If not, what mold diameter should I get?

I'll Make Mine
03-22-2013, 08:59 PM
If that's a cap and ball, it's not a SAA clone. Has it got an open top frame and nipples (cap and ball) or a top strap frame and bored-through chambers? If it's a cartridge gun, that throat size is about right for .44-40, aka .44 WCF.

Assuming it's a cap and ball, the balls should shave a little as you ram them into the chambers (Caution!! Don't ram a ball without powder under it, you'll have Way Too Much Fun getting it out!); that .020+ difference is only .011 off the radius, which is about right to shave a good lead ring. Make sure you're using balls that are very soft (pure lead, by preference), else you can break the rammer from the force needed to seat the balls.

220swiftfn
03-22-2013, 11:01 PM
Yep, as mentioned, the .44 cap and ball uses a .451-.454 diameter ball so you get a good seal.

Also, being black powder, make sure that the ball is seated all the way onto the powder.

Dan

Lizard333
03-22-2013, 11:02 PM
Thx guys. I appreciate the help.

country gent
03-23-2013, 12:14 AM
Another tip is a wax lubed felt wad between powder and bullet or a finger full of lube to seal the chamber mouth also. Crisco shortening or Bore butter work well for this. Lubes bullet and helps to keep fouling soft. Also can help stop chain fires if there is a gap. Messy but worthwhile to do. The felt wads are neater and easier to use.

Nobade
03-23-2013, 12:34 PM
It COULD be a SAA replica. I see Midsouth and others have SAA revolvers set up to use percussion caps. If this is what you have, you'll need a loading press too since those guns don't have loading levers.

Since you have Pyrodex, clean that revolver thoroughly after you shoot it. I once made the mistake of cleaning one like I would with BP and a week later the internals were rusted solid. Take the thing apart completely and clean every part of it really well, then oil. That's no big deal to do with a SAA or most any other percussion revolver anyhow, just takes a little more time.

-Nobade