PDA

View Full Version : I need a contender hinge pin. WTB

kbstenberg
03-22-2013, 05:32 PM
I didn't know what I didn't know! I just got my first contender frame. It didn't come with a hinge pin. Where do I go to get one? Is there anything special I have to know about how to put it in!? Kevin

gsdelong
03-22-2013, 05:59 PM
Mike Bellum's site for both the pin and what you need to know about it. Gsdelong

Skipper
03-22-2013, 06:00 PM
I didn't know what I didn't know! I just got my first contender frame. It didn't come with a hinge pin. Where do I go to get one? Is there anything special I have to know about how to put it in!? Kevin

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/item.php?pid=17&cid=8

kbstenberg
03-22-2013, 08:21 PM
I found the pin in the bottom of the shipping box.
Now I need to know the procedure to get the pin in.

wallenba
03-22-2013, 08:28 PM
Just line up the barrel with the pin hole in the frame and push it in. The forend keeps it captive. This is the way all mine are, unless something has changed, or we're not thinking of the same part. Sometimes when you try to snap the barrel shut, it won't. That is another problem. There, you might need a smaller or larger latch.

uscra112
03-22-2013, 08:30 PM
You wouldn't think so, but there's a lot to know about that hinge pin. It should be a light drag fit in the bare frame. It should go through, but take a firm push with your thumbs, not more. Next try it in the bore of your barrel(s). There it should be tighter, requiring a little tapping with a mallet. If the pin will fall through either the frame or the barrel lug, the gun is OK to fire, but accuracy won't be as good as it could be. If the fit is decent, put your barrel in place but don't lock it. Start the pin in one side or the other, and just tap it through until it's equal on both sides.

Iowa Fox
03-22-2013, 10:49 PM
If the pin you found in the box will not slide into the frame with finger pressure chaces are its an aftermarket oversize pin. I would not use it. Standard pins for a blue Contender frame are easy to come by, and they will slide in easily.

canyon-ghost
03-22-2013, 11:28 PM
Thompson Center can send you a new one. I always push mine in from the right side because it's underneath when I hold it in my hands, left side toward me. Be gentle, these firearms are worth it. You'll love what it can do.

Ron

MaineJim
03-23-2013, 06:32 AM
Thompson Center and their custom shop no longer exist.
Smith and Wesson bought em and all they make is the Encore,lots of parts floating around though including ebay,Eds TCs,MGM,Bellm etc.

uscra112
03-23-2013, 08:59 PM
I make pins from 1.5" long 3/8" steel dowel pins. Takes a lathe, a diamond lap, a good micrometer, and a cutoff wheel to cut the thing to length when you have it lapped to size. But it gets you a pin that fits, instead of a pin that almost fits. Improved the accuracy of my .357 Maximum barrel noticeably.