PDA

View Full Version : Cost of Wheel Weights?

mtgrs737
08-21-2007, 04:28 PM
I know where to get a bucket's worth of Wheel Weights that the guy wants 63 cents a pound for, is this too much? Sounds a bit high to me, but who knows?

jawjaboy
08-21-2007, 04:36 PM
From free to $25 per 5g bucket in my area. Personally, for my area again, I would'nt pay .63/lb for raw ww's, but that's just me. Good alloy can be bought for a tad more than that.

CSH
08-21-2007, 05:25 PM
$.63/lb would equate to about $90 for a five gallon bucket that will yield about 120 lbs of lead alloy ($.75/lb) after your time and effort in melting and separating clips. For that price you can buy it and have it shipped to your door in ingot form.

trickyasafox
08-21-2007, 06:20 PM
it was 20 at the beginning of summer per bucket, but i think by the next time i go collect it'll be up to 25. that is still okay though. i really got to try the scrap yards and see if i just save up and try to buy a reasonably large amount if they can cut me a deal.

cohutt
08-21-2007, 06:36 PM
it was 20 at the beginning of summer per bucket, but i think by the next time i go collect it'll be up to 25. that is still okay though. i really got to try the scrap yards and see if i just save up and try to buy a reasonably large amount if they can cut me a deal.

Don't give up hope yet.........

http://www.kitconet.com/charts/metals/base/spot-lead-30d-Large.gif

NoHarmNoFAL
08-21-2007, 08:09 PM
I got my first bucket for free a few months ago but I doubt that I will be able to pull that one off again.

axman
08-21-2007, 08:12 PM
I bought 1940lbs for .15 cents a lb one month ago.

randyrat
08-21-2007, 08:57 PM
It's common to pay $.20/lb around here at least we can still get them. Most big shops are trading/recycling them with a contractor and you can't touch them. I buy mine >20/lb and also buy from the local scrap yard for .10/lb soft lead (lucky score) The lady that runs it likes me and i treat her with GREAT respect..:-D

crabo
08-21-2007, 09:45 PM
You can't hardly find WWs in Dallas. Almost everyone is either turning them in to the battery companies, or are selling them to someone who is coming by and buying them.

I may have finally found a source for $.30 a pound. I have spent hours and hours trying to find ones I could buy. I would find a shop that throws them away, they say they will save them for me, I come back and they are still throwing them away.

I am going to a shop that says they get $.30 a pound from the scrap yard, so if I want them, I can buy them for that. I made the connection through a friend's father who is a good customer of theirs.

I am just getting into casting, after shooting cast bullets for years, and I need to make sure I don't buy a lot of equipment, and then be unable to cast because I can't afford the WWs.

Crabo

randyrat
08-22-2007, 06:36 AM
Tape or write you phone # on a bucket and drop it off. Slip them a case of beer/big box of donuts just before break time for a bribe, they may even help you load em in your car. Buy your tires where you can buy WWs. You gotta get smooth/persistant/agressive in your area. (Time to give up)> Or check Flea bay and save your self some gas money, buy WW ingots ready to go for $.60-$.75/lb Thats still a lot of cast bullets at a very low cost.

FISH4BUGS
08-22-2007, 06:56 AM
I pay one case of Harpoon India Pale Ale and a six pack of Moxie per two buckets (about $30) every two months or so. I get a free bucket every year from my local garage. Others are available at $10 per bucket at another garage. The price is all over the map.
I have almost a ton of WW's waiting to be smelted. I need to build a heat shield before my next smelting project to help speed the process. There is NO shortage of wheel weights here in coastal New Hampshire!

alamogunr
08-22-2007, 09:42 AM
Tape or write you phone # on a bucket and drop it off. Slip them a case of beer/big box of donuts just before break time for a bribe, they may even help you load em in your car. Buy your tires where you can buy WWs. You gotta get smooth/persistant/agressive in your area. (Time to give up)> Or check Flea bay and save your self some gas money, buy WW ingots ready to go for $.60-$.75/lb Thats still a lot of cast bullets at a very low cost.

I tried the donut route. Got a call from a manager that they had a bucketful I could have. By the time I got there, it was nowhere to be found. We figure one of the "employees" made off with it for fishing weights. I gave up on that place. wouldn't buy tires from them anyway. I don't trust the people that put them on your car.

snowman
08-22-2007, 11:23 AM
Just stopped in to the scrapyard. They wanted .75/lb for clean xray sheet OR wheel weights. Wont be back there....not when the price was .60/lb last week (figured I'd pick up some of the sheet).

Guess I'm gonna start crackin batteries soon.

EMC45
08-22-2007, 11:28 AM
Bought my guys 6 cheeseburgers and a 6 pack of ice cold Coca Colas. They were pleased. I got about a quarter of a 5 gal bucket. I have gotten many pounds from them without any problems. Someone sniped me on a full buckets worth, but I will go everyday now.

MT Gianni
08-22-2007, 07:13 PM
Just stopped in to the scrapyard. They wanted .75/lb for clean xray sheet OR wheel weights. Wont be back there....not when the price was .60/lb last week (figured I'd pick up some of the sheet).

Guess I'm gonna start crackin batteries soon.

I assume that you are aware that the alloy in most car batteries contains Cadmium, which releases a deadly gas at melt temperatures. I hope your thinking of something else. Gianni

snowman
08-22-2007, 07:35 PM
Didn't know that. My comment was mostly tongue in cheek, but it's good to learn something new, even better so that someone who is that desperate for lead doesn't kill themselves trying to melt it.

medic44
08-22-2007, 07:54 PM
I found that a 3# lead hammer thrown in helps keep them happy.

shotstring
08-23-2007, 01:37 AM
It's kind of weird where I live. Two major tire shops, and one sells them to their battery supplier at $20.00 for a small bucket (2 1/2 gal). They said they would sell them all to me at that price if I wanted. Since I only have to drive about 15 blocks to pick them up, it is worth it to me.

At the other tire shop the weights are free, but you have to be lucky and hit them on the right day as they won't save them for anyone. Right now I'm competing with only 1 other guy who makes sinkers for those weights. One scrap yard sells all lead and WW for $1.00 lb, but offered me a deal at .75. No thanks. Another scrap yard sells for .20lb but I have to drive 120 miles round trip. Ouch.

Right now it is tin that I am having a hard time locating at a good price.

snowman
08-24-2007, 03:34 PM
CRAP

spent a whole day driving around

finally got desperate at the end and paid 45 bucks for a 100lb bucket.

left one bucket out for someone who said he'd call me, but i doubt he will