PDA

View Full Version : 99 cent treasures

rintinglen
03-22-2013, 02:52 PM
Here are some items I got for my reloading hobby. I freely admit to being frugal (cheap, even) when it comes to ancilliary stuff. The way I see it, the less I spend on non-essentials, containers, cleaners and the like, the more I can spend on essentials like powder, primers, and new lead flingers.

The green top containers are great for holding small lot boolits, while the funnnels are useful to avoid spilling powder. The containers came from a Dollar store, while the funnels came as a set for .99 from Harbor Freight.

Anybody else got cheap stuff to show off?

missionary5155
03-22-2013, 04:56 PM
Greetings
Be sure to never throw away any butter tubs, soft soap tubs, shoe polish tins and small boxes plastic and fiber. I use the round oatmeal canisters after cutting them down to 2-4 inches tall. The plastic lid still fits. Have numerous platic oil containers waiting to get sliced to needed size for trays and storage containers.
Miie in Peru

EMC45
03-23-2013, 09:23 AM
I save all tubs here at the house. They will get used.

SGTM9
03-23-2013, 10:06 AM
I save old coffee cans. They stack very well easy to label great for sorting and storing brass.

Kraschenbirn
03-23-2013, 10:43 AM
'I Can't Believe It's Not Butter' tubs for boolit lube; 2# Maxwell House coffee cans (plastic) for pistol brass; and wooden cigar boxes for 'raw' (unsized/unlubed) boolits.

Bill

bigboredad
03-23-2013, 10:54 AM
I use the dollar store tubs as the op but opt for the larger shoe box size they are good for keeping your brass separated as well as the folgers plastic coffee cans that my wife keeps me supplied with

km101
03-23-2013, 03:40 PM
I use the shoe box size plastic bins for storing brass that is ready to load. They will hold around 1K .40 S&W brass, and similar amounts of other pistol brass. And they stack well. I use the s/m/l stackable plastic bins for various sizes/quantities of cast bullets.

Jack Stanley
03-24-2013, 09:35 AM
I'm not good at photos so I'll just tell ya about cutting down empty powder containers for carrying stuff to the range . Hercules four and eight pound plastic contatiners can be cut starting just behind the opening straight down whatever height you want . Then make your cut go to the outside of the container , you'd be cutting under the opening and not under the handle . Cut out a piece big enough for you to get your hand in and out while holding whatever you want to store in it .

I've got a couple four pound cans that hold rimfire ammo ready for the range and have a masking tape label on them . The eight pounder , being bigger , is a catch all that I can use for empty brass or whatever I need it for .

Jack

Rodfac
03-24-2013, 09:39 AM
Ah yes...cheapie's...my favorites are the cottage cheese containers...cast boolit storage, empty shell casings....and the tops make first rate wads for "snake loads". Rod

Adk Mike
03-25-2013, 06:10 PM
Milk cartons a trick from the local range. Cut square at 4 inches. They work great. I also save the butter dishes and any clear plastic container.

375RUGER
03-27-2013, 08:48 AM
SWMBO is always asking me "do you need this for boolits or loob? I didn't want to throw it away without asking."
At work I get lots of good sturdy boxes, crush proof style, of various sizes. Motors and gearboxes and such come in them. I'm always bringing them home.

trapper9260
03-27-2013, 09:05 AM
I use pill bottles for my sizen dies for cast bullets and for the top punch and just use clear tape for the ID that came with the dies and punch and you are good to go and also use the bigger ones to put sized and lube cast bullets in also. The candy trays that have 4 spaces to have 4 different kind of candys, that I use that when I lube and size my bullets, I run them from there and let them cool and then tag the space of what they are and size and then go from there .You also have the lid that you can cover when you are not ready to load right away .

alamogunr
03-27-2013, 09:17 AM
I use pill bottles for my sizen dies for cast bullets and for the top punch and just use clear tape for the ID that came with the dies and punch and you are good to go

+1 I just wish the pharmacy would use a label that is easier to remove. I also made a rack for my Lee sizing dies. Those containers they come in take up too much room. I only need one container to catch the sized boolets and many times don't even use that.

Hardcast416taylor
03-27-2013, 11:48 AM
Greetings
Be sure to never throw away any butter tubs, soft soap tubs, shoe polish tins and small boxes plastic and fiber. I use the round oatmeal canisters after cutting them down to 2-4 inches tall. The plastic lid still fits. Have numerous platic oil containers waiting to get sliced to needed size for trays and storage containers.
Miie in Peru

Mike, I`m trying REAL HARD to remember what a shoe polish tin looked like?Robert

TheGrimReaper
03-27-2013, 12:00 PM
Yep, Country Crock butter tubs and empty coffee cans.

alamogunr
03-27-2013, 12:13 PM
I've saved so many containers that I've filled up one end of my full wall shelves in the shop. SHWMBO is to the point of hiding certain containers in the trash when they are empty.

Has anyone tried TV dinner trays for pan lubing?

detox
03-27-2013, 06:11 PM
I hardly ever cast many more boolits than i am going to use, but when i do, i use clear ziploc freezer baggies to store. Hefty brand has a white face on bag. I use a Black Sharpie pen to write boollit info on bag.

MOcaster
03-27-2013, 06:58 PM
Plastic water bottles work very well to store things. I use them to store my brass. Not my brass that I use but for calibers that I pick up and want to reload for eventually. They a kind of a hassle to empty if they are full but nothing a lot of shaking won't fix.