PDA

View Full Version : Why Anneal Gas Check?

VTDW
08-21-2007, 12:47 PM
The subject of annealing GCs pops up on occasion and I wonder why some folks anneal. Seems to me like they might be more apt to turn loose in flight.

Thanks,

Dave

leftiye
08-21-2007, 12:59 PM
Annealing softens the brass/copper. Because of this is doesn't have as much ability to spring back when crimped on, and therefore grips the boolit tighter. See 44 man's thread yesterday on soft crimps maybe causing reduced velocity.

felix
08-21-2007, 01:00 PM
It just depends on the accuracy you have and desire. Personally, I like the checks to be as hard as possible, provided they fit perfectly out of the box/bag on rock hard boolits. I seldom shoot soft loads where a softer mix and alloy would be to an advantage with smallish boolits and/or faster powders. You need experience is using different alloys, tempering, powders, sizes, amounts, etc. to make an educated choice. ... felix

44man
08-21-2007, 02:29 PM
It is like anything else, you have to try it. They are dismal in my 45-70 BFR but with WW metal in my .44 they are super. Not so good with the hard alloy though. I would never believe they would have so much effect.
My opinion right now is that if you use a softer lead, the annealed check might be good, but it might not so who is to say? I can only recommend a test and won't tell anyone it is the answer.
I was having trouble with checks that I could turn a little so I softened them. It did not help. I cut the ejection punch in my size die flat and now all are tight. That concave punch didn't work. Now my bases are flat.

mag_01
08-21-2007, 04:30 PM
:coffee: --- I have never annealed gas checks as I prefer to put them on as is --- have never had A problem with gas checks --- If it ain't broke don't fix it. --- Mag

VTDW
08-21-2007, 07:44 PM
Thanks guys. I shoot .444s with 50/50 ww/Lino and I load em pretty healthy to get obturation. Same for the Redhawk .44Mag. Accuracy on all is great. I'll put this piece of information in my long term memory just in case.

I appreciate it, :drinks:

Dave

Unter
08-22-2007, 09:11 AM
On my .44 mag bullets the gas check is slightly loose without annealing....

MT Gianni
08-22-2007, 09:33 AM
:coffee: --- I have never annealed gas checks as I prefer to put them on as is --- have never had A problem with gas checks --- If it ain't broke don't fix it. --- Mag

The issue is when they are broke. I use an annealed check when the mold throws bases that are undersized or oversized in a mold that has otherwise good dimensions. Annealing seems to take care of those issues. Gianni