PDA

View Full Version : Got my new style Lee Mold

frkelly74
03-22-2013, 01:04 PM
I got my 309-230 5R mold from Midway yesterday. It is the new style 2 cavity Lee with the alignment pins put in the right way. It looks like it will be a good mold and I hope the boolits will be good and fun to shoot also. I have washed it and dried it and will try it out soon I hope. My wife has the next three days off so it will be next week probably before I can heat it up. Service from Midway was excellent and shipping was cheap. They have discovered the padded envelope.

km101
03-22-2013, 05:44 PM
Great! And that's one positive result of this "craziness". It has cleaned out the vendor's stocks of "old style" molds and now any purchases should be the new model molds. Looking forward to ordering a few of the new style. Thanks for the info.

41 mag fan
03-23-2013, 08:20 AM
I got one in from Natchez yesterday myself. It was a Lee 309- 170gr RN, I think thats the #'s without going out to look.
Old style pins though.
It'll be awhile before I order from Natchez again. Took week and a 1/2 to ship, and 6 days to get here thru usps. Used to only take 2 days to arrive after the 3 days waiting to ship.
I was not impressed with their shipping that way. I haven't dealt with them in a couple of yrs, i always use Midway or Midsouth. It might be another couple of yrs again before i order thru them.

frkelly74
03-23-2013, 08:37 AM
Well I found out something about bullplate lube. When they say use very little they aren't kidding. I guess I have to wash the mold again because I used too much and it got into the cavities and messed up my casting. It doesn't burn away like other lubes I have used.

41 mag fan
03-23-2013, 09:10 AM
Well I found out something about bullplate lube. When they say use very little they aren't kidding. I guess I have to wash the mold again because I used too much and it got into the cavities and messed up my casting. It doesn't burn away like other lubes I have used.

Best thing to do with it, is put 3 drops on a Q-Tip, on one end only. Use that to wipe your sprue plate, pins ect. Use the dry end to wipe off excess.
That same Q-Tip I use to wipe top of mold after 1st fill. Use dry end to wipe off.
Hope this helps!

Tazman1602
03-23-2013, 09:25 AM
I have one of the new Lee 6-banger molds for .357 125 grain bullets and it is the BOMB! Drops right at .360 on every cav...................

Art

Denver
03-23-2013, 10:02 AM
I got my 309-230 5R mold from Midway yesterday. It is the new style 2 cavity Lee with the alignment pins put in the right way. It looks like it will be a good mold and I hope the boolits will be good and fun to shoot also. I have washed it and dried it and will try it out soon I hope. My wife has the next three days off so it will be next week probably before I can heat it up. Service from Midway was excellent and shipping was cheap. They have discovered the padded envelope.

Do the new style molds come with handles? I'd just as soon see them do away with those flimsy handles and make the blocks to work with their six cavity handles. Would make storage a bunch easier.

Ohio Rusty
03-23-2013, 10:03 AM
I got one of the new style in the 125 gr. RNFP for .38's. I really like the alignment pins. This mould works much better than the older one. My older one has problems locking up tight and aligning the mould halves. This new one works great !!
Ohio Rusty ><>

Hydrostatic shock doesn't kill deer ...... I do.

Chicken Thief
03-23-2013, 10:41 AM
Do the new style molds come with handles? I'd just as soon see them do away with those flimsy handles and make the blocks to work with their six cavity handles. Would make storage a bunch easier.
Yup and they cant be altered (not enough room).
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Skydning/Til%20andre/R0011325_zpsbf0a8133.jpg

frkelly74
03-23-2013, 02:46 PM
I view the handles as being adjustable. That is looking on the bright side!

Charley
03-23-2013, 05:28 PM
Got one of the new style molds about a month ago, the .311 93 grain RN. Seems to be a bit better finished than the old style, and dropped good boolits with no tuning and very little Leementing was needed.