PDA

View Full Version : What are the essential reloading supplys that a small gun store should carry?

psychicrhino
03-22-2013, 12:53 PM
I am new to the forum, casting and reloading. My first reloader and manual is to be hopefully delivered today. But the question I posed came from a conversation I had with my brother-in-law this morning at his recently opened (6-8 mo ago) small town gun/boot store. I stopped by for a minute at his store and asked about business. I asked what was selling well and what was just taking up realestate. He was able to identify several displays of items that had not done much. I talked with him about my new hobby and asked if he'd considered selling reloading supplys. He indicated that he'd had a number of requests for reloading supplys and wouldn't mind carrying some if he knew what to carry. He shared with me that a customer had come in looking for a specific powder and asked him to special order a pound of it for him. He did and the powder + shipping was close to $50..... the customer did not prepay and um, has not yet come to pick up his powder. We also talked about how if he was ordering bulk he could spread that hazmat cost over several items and still be very competitive with online dealers maybe.

Locally our biggest game is the white tail deer and wild hogs (usually 150-300lbs). Most common calibers I see around camp are 30-06, 270, 30-30. ARs have become very popular over the past few years for target shooting but I've not seen one in deer camp. Most common shotgun is the 12 ga for rabbit, squirrel, duck. Most common pistol calibers I see are : 9mm, 45 auto, 357 mag, 38 special, 40 cal probably in that order. I of course see tons of 22lr in pistols/rifles, the odd 32 auto to 45 long colt plinker, the 243 to 444 deer hunter, 7.62x39 to 308 hog hunter and 20/16/410 squirrel hunter but I would estimate that the above mentioned bolded cal/ga represent 80+ % of what I actually see people shoot in East Texas.

So, what would you see as the essentials for reloading supplys? What dies for what calibers. What powders for the most common loads. What primers for the most common usages. What molds, ladles, brass, reloader kits, manuals would have the broadest appeal. So, what would you put in a 12' wide x 8' tall retail space? What might bring the best bang for his investment, what would turn over most often?

1. Pistol powder (brand, name, applications)

2. Rifle powder (brand, name, applications)

3. Pistol primers (brand, name, applications)

4. Rifle primers (brand, name, applications)

5. Dies -

6. Molds -

7. Reloaders/kits -

8. Brass -

9. Reloading/Casting Manual -

10. Bullets -

11. Other essentials -

dbosman
03-22-2013, 01:19 PM
He needs to stock what he can get from his regular wholesale suppliers so deliveries come with his regular stock.
Also, never special order without a deposit of some sort.

gkainz
03-22-2013, 03:18 PM
He needs to find a local, experienced reloader who will teach reloading classes in his shop!

W.R.Buchanan
03-22-2013, 06:27 PM
He definately needs to hook up with all of the local gun clubs and find out what is needed and wanted.

Trying to get us to tell you what is the most basic stuff is like asking what kind of car we like the best.

He needs to hook up with a Major distributor like Ellett Bros, and really,,, as many others as possible. He can find them at the big industry shows like SHOT Show, and surely other big shows in Tejas. Then he can get the items he needs at wholesale prices and then mark them up.

Trying to buy from an outfit like Midway will not yeild wholesale prices, and with out those he is wasting his time and money, cuz no one will buy at the prices he needs to sell at to make any money, because they can buy from the same place for less

Randy.

1hole
03-22-2013, 08:21 PM
A small shop will probably find it financially impossible to compete with the big mail order outfits for loading tools but they can with powder and primers because of the high shipping costs.

A small assortment of the most common .22-.24-.28 and .30 caliber rifle and 9mm-.35-.45 handgun bullets in a couple-three brands might be worthwhile too - Hornady and Sierra for sure, maybe Nosler as well. One or two loading manuals would probably sell reasonably fast - Lyman and Hornady or Hodgedon would probably sell best.

Don't think I'd run or even sponser any reloading classes tho, the current legal liability is too great. Instead, I would suggest your friend might have a small press, dies and a few cases set up so he can "demonstrate" the basic process but not 'teach' reloading at all; sell the new dudes a manual, then order or let 'em buy their tools somewhere else but let 'em blow their own heads off while staying outside that teaching loop.

Steel185
03-22-2013, 08:36 PM
I'm actually from that part of Texas, and I can tell you in Houston (probibly the nearest big town) has a gun show (at some place or the other) almost every weekend, if not twice a month. Get the Hazmat items there. Or get in contact with the dealers there and buy in bulk, having them pay the hazmat. I would agree with previous posts and there is a ton of gun clubs around those parts, get with them and see what they like. Go from there. ALso when he gets "requests" if they put money down or not, note it down. when you see several request for th esame item, get it with your next shipment. and go from there. Remember even the huge sporting goods places only dedicate a small section to reloading. ONly do what he thinks is profitable.

waksupi
03-22-2013, 08:43 PM
Hard questions to get answers to. What some one here in Montana suggests, would likely sit on a shelf in Texas for the next 20 years, and vice versa.

Chilmonty
03-22-2013, 10:08 PM
He definately needs to hook up with all of the local gun clubs and find out what is needed and wanted.

Trying to get us to tell you what is the most basic stuff is like asking what kind of car we like the best.

He needs to hook up with a Major distributor like Ellett Bros, and really,,, as many others as possible. He can find them at the big industry shows like SHOT Show, and surely other big shows in Tejas. Then he can get the items he needs at wholesale prices and then mark them up.

Trying to buy from an outfit like Midway will not yeild wholesale prices, and with out those he is wasting his time and money, cuz no one will buy at the prices he needs to sell at to make any money, because they can buy from the same place for less

Randy.

Really good advice W.R.!

Just starting out I would focus on getting a good supply of components, powder & primers especially.

Then talk to everybody you can, shooting clubs, gun ranges, hunting clubs, and customers.

Starting out you need to make sure your starting with stuff that will move, too easy to tie a bunch of $$ into stuff that may sit a while.

psychicrhino
03-22-2013, 10:28 PM
Hey thanks guys for all of the great input and feedback. Keep em comin'.

waksupi
03-23-2013, 12:28 AM
I was in a sporting goods store today, just killing time. Do the same, and just look at all of the things that are extras that have no real useful function, or are not durable in the long run. You want things you know from personal experience work in your area. If you know it isn't something you would buy, or suspect it's quality, that is something to mark off of your list.
Always deal with quality goods. Word will get out if you have it. If you deal with cheap non-durable goods, word will get out on that, too.

Buckshot
03-23-2013, 02:30 AM
............In this age of the internet it's really tough for a local gun store to carry "Do-Dads", and reloading stuff falls into that catagory. We're blessed in this day and age with a true wealth of equipment from so many manufacturers that unless he speciallized in one maker he'd have to have a veritable warehouse to carry even a token of the stuff available. A local gunshop here, that was actually fairly large had absolutely ZERO reloading equipment. For components he had 2 shelves behind the counter with primers and most of the IMR line of powders. That was it. No dies, no reloading presses powder measures or anything else.

Of course there are exceptions and I suspect it depends on the number of active shooters in the area. I know that in Winnemucca, NV there are 2 hardware stores. One at either end of town and either one carries more firearms, powder and primers then any 2 gunshops here in So.Calif. The owner of a gunshop would have to know what's happening in his business area, and would have to do some market research as to what his clientele most generally would stop in to pick up if it was carried. There is NO PLACE around here that I know of, where I could pile into the car and drive to, if I needed a pound of say, H335. A sad state of affairs!

............Buckshot

40Super
03-23-2013, 06:22 PM
I would say that certain powders and primers ect would be a safe bet to start with. Something like Varget, H4350, H4895, Unique, Bullseye, Win231(or Hp-38) maybe a few more to "start" with . For primers, CCI would be a safe bet, 5000+ of each size on hand. If you can start with the main basics and get some people to know that you have some stuff(and will be adding more steadily) they will tell friends and so it goes. Getting a deal in bulk would be the only way to do it and you can probably make out a deal were the bulk pricing can be spread out over 10 or 15 different powders so a ton of just one powder isn't needed to get good pricing. Start calling and talking to company reps !!

felix
03-23-2013, 07:19 PM
My idea would be for a mainstay company only. Order primers and powder by the Millions. Of the powders, that means 55 gallon barrels of the generic speed flavors, and plastic quart jars for breakdown. ... felix

lmfd20
03-24-2013, 01:09 AM
Can't go wrong with primers right now for sure!

Blanket
03-24-2013, 01:23 AM
My input has nothing to do with the current bull s%it going on. Stock powder on the shelf for about 3 bucks a pound higher than the internet guys, bullets for your area, put a little buy and sell area for the guys that come in.

Recluse
03-24-2013, 06:17 PM
The absolute essentials that will make him money and keep customers coming back are the consumables: Primers, Powder, Projectiles.

These represent repeat business.

Dies, shellholders, etc etc represent one-time buys, and one-time buys will not keep your doors open. Plus, it will be hard for him to compete against the online etailers.

The thing about the consumables is that when I need/want powder, I want it right now--I don't want to wait a week from the time I order it. Plus, to justify the shipping and hazmat, I have to order a LOT of consumables.

Being able to go to my LGS and pick up several hundred projectiles out of the bulk bin, a brick of primers and two pounds of powder is worth every extra cent I would pay online simply for being able to get what I need right then, right there.

As far as WHICH consumables? Talk to your customers. Primers are the easiest--if you carry Winchester and CCI in large and small pistol, and large and small rifle, plus shotgun, you'll cover 95% of your entire customer base.

Powders? Bullseye, W231/HP38, Unique, Red Dot, 2400, W748/H335, and the 4350 and 4895 powders will cover 85% of your customer base.

Projectiles? Carry them all.

Retail is synonymous with "repeat" as in repeat business. Customers load cartridge and shoot cartridges, they need to replace the components/elements. Having them in stock virtually guarantees you repeat and loyal business. Everything else can be special ordered for the customer (presses, dies, shell plates, etc).

:coffee:

country gent
03-24-2013, 09:11 PM
Stocking powders and the need powder magazines for over a certain limit ( varies with fire codes and laws) can get expensive for a small shop. Bullets, and primers right now are a big thing but to stock up on them at top dollar isnt wise either. Black powder for the purists and primitive guys. A small selection of powders can be stocked that will load almost all cartridges. Bullets are another issue so many calibers styles wieghts ect ect. Maybe hook up with a local caster for a supply of cast pistol bullets in various calibers and a few rifle calibers (.224, 243, 308 ) maybe 2 or 3 difrent wieghts styles in each caliber to start. Basic reloading equipment a starter kit from Lee or RCBS with dies to be ordered in needed caliber. A few hand tools ( deburr, spare decapping pins, funnels, ect ect) a few varied manuals. One other thing that can be done as a customer service if you have room is a Table with 3 or 4 chairs around it and a couple manuals and diffrent informational books and magazines on it for customers to educate themselves. Now heres the trick when restocking bullets get a diffrent wight point or style each time. Same with manuals and equipment . Most shooters will order bulk but will impulse buy something "diffrent" to try. The "reading Table" change out the books and magazines every few months with something diffrent and you can sell the used at a slightly reduced price. Also be knowledgeable about the aspects and uses of diffrent things so you can give good advice when a asked a question

Cesure
03-25-2013, 10:48 AM
As far as bullets for handguns, I suggest wadcutters in the revolver calibers and FMJ in the semi-autos. Those are practice rounds and buying in bulk makes sense. Any other bullets are specialty items and may not sell as fast. Powders for handguns (fast burning) will probably move faster than powders for rifles, Titegroup and Win 231 come to mind. Pistol primers will probably move faster than rifle primers and in greater quantities. CCI 500 seems to be very popular and CCI 550 for magnums. Offer to order anything, but get a 20% down payment.

BoolitSchuuter
03-25-2013, 11:18 AM
Recluse pretty much nailed it.
The only thing I would add might be storage boxes. Kind of a one time purchase, but every time I go to the LGS I always seem to need one or two. It just isn't worth the shipping to mail order them.
The only other suggestion I would make would be have him hang a clipboard up and put Wish List on it. Let his customers tell him what they would like to see.

mdi
03-25-2013, 12:23 PM
I'd contact my local "Friends of NRA" group and see if the NRA can be of any help. I'm sure they would have valuable insight into laws and regulations and how/what to stock...

psychicrhino
03-25-2013, 01:01 PM
Wow, thanks again for all of the feedback. I especially appreciate the specific recommendations on powder/primers/bulk bullets that will have the largest appeal. The recommendations on having load manuals available for folks to look at and putting up a wish list were good too. Well, all of the recommendations are good. I plan to print this out and highlight some of those components that are repeated several times then take and share them with my brother-in-law that has the small gun store. Like I said, when asked - he indicated he was interested in replacing a section of goods that werent really moving with something that would. He just didn't know what specifically to consider. Someone mentioned buying powder by the 55 gallon drum and then repackaging into plastic quart jars - is that common practice? Wonder about legalities with storing that much powder, but I guess a 55 gallon drum is no differenct than having a couple hundred quart containers of powder on a shelf.

40Super
03-25-2013, 01:12 PM
The problem with 55 gallon drum would be only one type of powder. I would also be sceptical of buying powder in refilled jugs. Also many people won't buy a powder if they already have one they like, so to have 55 gallons would mean less choices and fewer sales. It would be the cheapest, but it might be better to buy it in 8lb jugs and have more types. Either way he would likely need 10 to 15 types at least, even if half were only single 1lb'ers. If he made a deal with a company he should get nearly the same price break, even if buying in 1 ,4 , or 8lbs, as long as he bought so many pounds from that supplier each time.

Adam10mm
03-25-2013, 01:15 PM
Stick with components. Hazmat stuff like powder and primers, then keep bullets on hand. Brass if you can get it for a good price and make money on it. Would be pretty neat to get a couple buckets of brass and sell it by the pound. Use a peanut scooper like in the grocery store and bag it up like fruit.

Don't be stingy with powder either. The 1lb jugs are samplers but get some 8lb kegs in too.

khmer6
03-25-2013, 01:53 PM
Things that require hazmat is always good. Primers and powders. Most people don't max out hazmat weight, but I try to fit as much as I can. People will go to a local store to get a couple thousands of primers instead of spending the 1k plus for 50k primers.

remy3424
03-27-2013, 01:56 PM
55 Gallon drum of powder.....selling in genric quart jars....will likely still have 55 gallons of that in 5 years....maybe once you get going and have regulars who know and trust you and are clammering for the same bulk powder. Lot of good ideas, but I might be waiting on the bulk powder idea. I would try one of bullets to get started (Hornady or Sierra maybe, I think both might have 17 to 50 cal.) and then let the customers tell you what they shoot. Powders...kinda the same as bullets, but maybe easier, have the popular ones you see here... 231, BE, RD, Unique, 2400, Titegroup for your handguns and H322, 4350, 4831, Varget should cover alot, I would start with pounders and let the customers tell you what they want in bigger quanitiies....kinda depends on what your potential customers are shooting...menstioned powders shouldn't set there long. A good volume, once available of primers Rem, CCI or Win woullld be what I might perfer. Good advice given on the gun clubs and NRA contacts. We here are biased to our own needs, keep that in mind.

L Erie Caster
03-27-2013, 04:24 PM
No one needs an 8 pound container of powder urgently. A larger selection of 1 pound containers will satisfy more customers. Who can buy the single pound while waiting for the 8 pound to arrive form backorder. Local regulations will limit the amount of powder that can be kept inside the store and larger containers will cut into that and limit overall selection. Trying to please everyone at the same time is the biggest problem for any small retailer.
The 55 lb keg idea is a bad one, selling a hazardous material in an improperly packaged and labeled container versus a factory sealed one, could end up closing the shop for good.

r1kk1
03-28-2013, 01:33 AM
Wideners, Bartlett, Thunderbird, I have bought 8 pounders from them. I use 8 pounders for most of my loading. I didn't know certain ones were available in 55 gallon drums. Makes sense since some are sold in much bigger lots.

Take care

r1kk1

Adam10mm
03-28-2013, 01:48 AM
No one needs an 8 pound container of powder urgently.
You clearly haven't had the wife and kids leave for the weekend leaving you home alone with nothing to do but cast bullets and load ammo. :)

Run to the shop, grab a keg of Unique, and celebrate the freedom!

Adam10mm
03-28-2013, 01:56 AM
Wideners, Bartlett, Thunderbird, I have bought 8 pounders from them. I use 8 pounders for most of my loading. I didn't know certain ones were available in 55 gallon drums. Makes sense since some are sold in much bigger lots.

Take care

r1kk1
As a licensed manufacturer, I can buy some powders in 35-50lb drums. I know of no powder available in a 55 gallon drum/barrel. Powder is sold by weight, not volume.

r1kk1
03-28-2013, 02:19 AM
As a licensed manufacturer, I can buy some powders in 35-50lb drums. I know of no powder available in a 55 gallon drum/barrel. Powder is sold by weight, not volume.

I appreciate the heads up! I wish some of the surplus stuff I love shows up again soon. All I see anymore is for the 50 BMG crowd.

Take care

r1kk1

btroj
03-28-2013, 07:56 AM
Think of this, who is the primary customer?
Not people who cast. It isn't even hard core reloaders and shooters. The biggest customer group will be hunters and casual shooters.
Much ammo. Lots of cleaning supplies. A good selection of powder, primers, wads, shot, and bullets.
LEARN what people in your area shoot. Are they bird hunters or deer hunters? Lots of varmint shooters? Cater to the needs of your customers.

Running a business takes far more than knowledge on what you sell, it takes a business mind. Think like a business man, not a shooter or hunter. Make sound business decisions, keep emotion out of it. Trying to please everyone can quickly lead to bankruptcy. Ever notice how many little shops are open for a year or two then go away? Find out why and then don't repeat those errors. Not just fun shops, all shops. What makes some stay around forever yet others come and go? Follow a proven recipe and stick with it.