PDA

View Full Version : Protect Your Chrony

epanzella
03-22-2013, 12:35 PM
For all you slug guys that are constantly beating the snot out of your chrony's (like me) here is simple and cheap way to add some protection. I used double 1/8 LEXAN for a total of 1/4 inch of clear. This literally took ten minutes. (I had the LEXAN already) It just slips on when you need it.

SuperBlazingSabots
03-22-2013, 03:54 PM
Hello Ed Panzella, I like your simple design and I know it will work well for you.
Happy hunting.

Life is short and we got to do what ever it takes to make us happy.
Enjoy it while you are at it!

Warmest regards,
Ajay
BlazingSabots@Gmail.com
Blazing Sabots, LLC
www.BlazingSabots.com
www.facebook.com/BlazingSabots?ref=hl
www.PreciousVideoMemories.com
www.facebook.com/pages/Preci...75489969155338

Ricochet
03-28-2013, 03:54 PM
With centerfire rifles and pistols I don't clobber the Chrony with wads and such (I have shot it dead with a misaimed bullet), but unburned powder particles keep punching holes in the plastic screen cover. Taping a microscope slide over it stops that.

Andrew Mason
03-31-2013, 01:54 PM
I have shot one crony before with a .357magnum, and seen one been killed with a .45

I'm not saying that your guard isn't up to the task of shotguns, I'm sure it is

But I am still on the hunt for something that will stop a .44mag hard cast

epanzella
03-31-2013, 06:51 PM
I have shot one crony before with a .357magnum, and seen one been killed with a .45

I'm not saying that your guard isn't up to the task of shotguns, I'm sure it is

But I am still on the hunt for something that will stop a .44mag hard cast
My clip on guard is just to stop the all filler wads in slug loads from busting up the front display. I think the only thing that will protect your chrony from a 44 slug is don't shoot the chrony.

Del-Ray
03-31-2013, 09:02 PM
Keep an eye out for closed banks. I got my hands on one of those pieces that go over the teller slots, I assume it will stop hard cast 44...

Andrew Mason
04-01-2013, 02:26 AM
That is a good idea about the closed bank
Defiantly safe to assume that a crony guard that is hit with a .44 is going to fly far away

ZigZagMarquis
04-06-2013, 09:18 AM
Nice Chrony Condom!

;)

Westwindmike
04-06-2013, 10:11 AM
I had a friend weld me up a Chrony Shield. I wanted the front edge to be sloped back, but he made it flat. Haven't shot it yet. Hope I don't.

Andrew Mason
04-06-2013, 11:05 AM
It has been my plan to build a heavy steel crony guard like that, but I would have the slope go all the way down, not just 1/2 way.

Westwindmike
04-06-2013, 11:22 AM
It has been my plan to build a heavy steel crony guard like that, but I would have the slope go all the way down, not just 1/2 way.

Exactly! My plans called for the slope to go all the way down, but my builder changed it during construction. I feel it will still protect it pretty well though.

Doc Highwall
04-06-2013, 11:34 AM
Looking at it I would say not only is it too high forcing the bullets to be even higher in order to miss your shield, but the slope will direct the lead spatter into your diffusers.

I think it would be better if it was only about 1" higher then the top where your diffusers attach. The sloped metal I position so it would direct downward into the ground the bullet spatter. This would mean you would have to have the back leg of your tripod in line with the chronograph, and the two front legs towards you on both sides.

Chicken Thief
04-06-2013, 11:38 AM
Somewhere i saw someone that had some printouts that fit instead of the pins and skylines.
Really neat and no possibillities of shooting the **** out of the add-ons.

Knew i had seen them:
http://members.shaw.ca/tju/shooting.htm

Went to Shooting Chrony's www and they dont list those nice skylines.
Anyone know about them?

44Vaquero
04-06-2013, 12:00 PM
Chicken Thief, that type of paper sky screen came with the Chrony's @ one time. It has been a few years since they supplied them. My grandfather still has a couple of sets with numerous .32, .357, 9 mm and .45 errant holes in them!!!!

Since my cousin murdered Grandpas origional chrony 15 years ago, with the 1st shot from his Colt Python, nobody has had the nerve to repeat the event!!! LOL We have added holes to the paper screens with great aplomb.

Chicken Thief
04-06-2013, 12:18 PM
Yeah, i just chatted with the author of the site i referred to.
She also said that they were supplied with the chrony.
Cardboard "stand" with a plastic diffuser top.
I'll have to make my own as i hate the wide area the pins leave where a boolit cant be detected.

ROGER4314
04-10-2013, 01:06 AM
I used a piece of 1/4" steel plate angled upward at a 45 degree angle just forward of the lead skyscreen. Several lead marks testify to its effectiveness! By giving it a sharp angle, it didn't need to be as strong. The down side is that the bullet takes off for who knows where.

My chronograph is an older Oheler 33 unit that still works like a dream.

Flash

pipehand
04-13-2013, 07:27 PM
Chronoed some shotgun slugs today. Set the chrono on a stump, and angled a 3"-150 blind pipe flange in front of it to keep any wads from hitting the screen. None did, but I'm on my second chronograph, so I was being more careful this time.